Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 04:14 PM

70 posts, read 104,119 times

Advertisements

There are enough houses being built in the SGC,I would suggest looking on the SGC homeowners website, there is a list of all the homes that have been approved to be built, with the owners name, address and builder. then drive around and look at them in different stages to check the workmanship. Take a level to make sure the guts are level, or do they fix things after it is done- or when the homeowner notices? not sure if you have a timeline to be in, but as you are looking at the houses under construction look to see how long they have had the permit/ or how long it has taken them to build.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 08:47 AM

55 posts, read 98,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlady762 View Post
There are enough houses being built in the SGC,I would suggest looking on the SGC homeowners website, there is a list of all the homes that have been approved to be built, with the owners name, address and builder. then drive around and look at them in different stages to check the workmanship. Take a level to make sure the guts are level, or do they fix things after it is done- or when the homeowner notices? not sure if you have a timeline to be in, but as you are looking at the houses under construction look to see how long they have had the permit/ or how long it has taken them to build.
Good idea. Thanks.

Old 11-24-2015, 09:55 AM

10 posts, read 23,568 times
Default Many builders to choose from in SGC

If planning to build in South Gulf Cove, choose a lot and have one of the many builders look at it to determine elevation where there is a big difference in insurance costs between 8 ft elevation compared to 10 ft. There must be 10 or so model homes in the community and over 100 permits issured here over the last year. I just finished building and used Tradewinds Luxury Homes and compared them to the other builders. I liked the quility. I have lived in SGC for 3 years and observed many of the builders and components they put in the homes and and the timeliness of their construction. I would suggest you talk to some of the subcontractors and people living in the community to get a feel about builders and lot location.

Old 11-24-2015, 10:46 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,823,257 times
Brought back from the dead lol

Old 11-24-2015, 05:10 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,964,095 times
Night of the Living Thread.

Old 11-24-2015, 05:46 PM

1,973 posts, read 2,273,662 times
I like the take a level advice hahhahahahahaha To be honest most folks IMHO 90%+.. don't know what they are looking at , when they see a house under construction.. I really would never expect too many who cant ...do it... themselves and havent been paid to do it..... to REALLY know what they are looking at..
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpc691 View Post
Night of the Living Thread.

Old 11-25-2015, 04:21 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,150,786 times
just seen this rise from the ashes, FYI Your Home are no more, she closed the doors...........

there are indeed many homes being built in SGC (in fact everywhere), yours truly will be building at least 3 out there in 2016.

with regard to the level comment and Macs reply, I had a client who actually climbed up a ladder and took a photo of his level on the masonry above the garage, the bubble was slightly off, but still in the line....his comment was " will they level this with the trusses !!!"

we actually try and have homes at every stage so that we can take prospective clients around and show them the process in detail, even lay people find it interesting and helpful.

Old 11-25-2015, 05:15 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benfranklin50 View Post
If planning to build in South Gulf Cove, choose a lot and have one of the many builders look at it to determine elevation where there is a big difference in insurance costs between 8 ft elevation compared to 10 ft. There must be 10 or so model homes in the community and over 100 permits issured here over the last year. I just finished building and used Tradewinds Luxury Homes and compared them to the other builders. I liked the quility. I have lived in SGC for 3 years and observed many of the builders and components they put in the homes and and the timeliness of their construction. I would suggest you talk to some of the subcontractors and people living in the community to get a feel about builders and lot location.
If your planning to buy a lot --- then build, it's a good idea to have a builder give you his thoughts BEFORE you buy it. It's not just the elevation and insurance costs that can greatly effect your decision to buy or not. How will the house be sited? You may not like the answers especially if th lot is slightly smaller than noramal quarter acre lots, or is slightly irregular shaped. It can have a big impact on your dream layout. Plus there are a lot of other considerations like having to import tons of dirt to raise the finish floor elevations to the new code. Where and what are your nearest utilities and where will they run on the property your considering, and the cost to bring them to and distribute them on your property. I've seen several friends that have bought properties, thinking one thing, and being frustrated and limited to their options later. Good sites in many areas have already been purchased and built on. They are not all gone, but you need to be wise about buying for more reasons than just insurance costs.

Ok... This ole thread can go hide now. 👍😄

Old 11-30-2015, 05:20 PM

10 posts, read 23,568 times
I have a new home built in 2015 in South Gulf Cove. Love it. I have a neighbor who has a 9.5 elevation built in 1998. My elevation is 8.1 and my insurance is $1000 a year more due to elevation. We have also been in the insurance business for many years. Most good builders will tell you upfront what the cost of the stemwall will be even before you buy the lot.

Old 11-30-2015, 05:25 PM

1,973 posts, read 2,273,662 times
IIWY I sure wouldn't recommend your builder then.. That's just plain sucks..
Quote:
Originally Posted by benfranklin50 View Post
I have a new home built in 2015 in South Gulf Cove. Love it. I have a neighbor who has a 9.5 elevation built in 1998. My elevation is 8.1 and my insurance is $1000 a year more due to elevation. We have also been in the insurance business for many years. Most good builders will tell you upfront what the cost of the stemwall will be even before you buy the lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte