Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 10:44 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,006,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyGras View Post
I'm guessing that if you look at your paperwork somewhere there is info about being pre FIRM and getting a rate subsidy

Charlotte harbor is on the schedule and new maps are expected to be in place sometime between now and 2018.

Gary
I checked my insurance docs and NOWHERE does it mention a subsidy or pre-firm.

I would be very interested to see where you see new maps due by 2018. The floodsmart website states "No map changes are currently in progress for your area. Please check with an agent for current rates."

Flood Map Update Schedule | Flood Risks | Flood Insurance | FloodSmart
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 11:05 AM

1,917 posts, read 2,633,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
I checked my insurance docs and NOWHERE does it mention a subsidy or pre-firm.

I would be very interested to see where you see new maps due by 2018. The floodsmart website states "No map changes are currently in progress for your area. Please check with an agent for current rates."

I was watching a county hearing on the CCTV channel a couple of weeks ago and during the hearing the county stated that the mapping had been planned but not yet funded and was expected to be completed by 2018.

Gary

Old 02-28-2014, 12:03 PM

Don't believe anything you hear from our county Gary. 99% lies. I'm not just saying that to be anti-gov't. I'm saying that because I was very much involved with local gov't for a few years and had to stop to prevent a mid-30s stroke. We have a VERY corrupt local government as a whole that will look you straight in the face and tell you one thing just to turn around and do the complete opposite a day later. There is also no accountability for their actions. No checks & balances. Nothing. "Do what we want and spend as we wish!" Don't believe them.

Last edited by Harbor Hopper; 02-28-2014 at 01:12 PM..

Old 02-28-2014, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Don't believe anything you hear from our county Gary. 99% lies. I'm just saying that to be anti-gov't. I'm saying that because I was very much involved with local gov't for a few years and had to stop to prevent a mid-30s stroke. We have a VERY corrupt local government as a whole that will look you straight in the face and tell you one thing just to turn around and do the complete opposite a day later. There is also no accountability for their actions. No checks & balances. Nothing. "Do what we want and spend as we wish!" Don't believe them.
The County was simply relaying what they were told by FEMA....you can take it for what it's worth.

As you know other counties are currently being remapped and once the funding becomes available I can guarantee we will be also. The only question is when?

Gary

Old 02-28-2014, 01:15 PM

Quote:
As you know other counties are currently being remapped and once the funding becomes available I can guarantee we will be also. The only question is when?

Gary
FEMA is SWAMPED with the coastal regions of the eastern U.S. which we are not included since we are an estuary/harbor. Will we be revised? Absolutely. But I think it will be a number of years. Bigger fish to fry ahead of us here around the harbor.

Old 02-28-2014, 02:06 PM

Quote:
The floodsmart website states "No map changes are currently in progress for your area. Please check with an agent for current rates."
In your previous post you forgot the part that states Even if your community is not listed, changes may still be in progress.

Gary

Old 02-28-2014, 03:38 PM

Fine you win. I'm telling you, nothing is in process at this time for our area. Believe whatever the local gov't tells you. No skin off my back. I'll enjoy my low $516/yr rates for now and pay off my mortgage so I can give a nice one-finger salute to FEMA and their monopoly insurance program.

Old 02-28-2014, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Fine you win. I'm telling you, nothing is in process at this time for our area. Believe whatever the local gov't tells you. No skin off my back. I'll enjoy my low $516/yr rates for now and pay off my mortgage so I can give a nice one-finger salute to FEMA and their monopoly insurance program.
I'm not winning anything...

it's your link and it clearly says Even if your community is not listed, changes may still be in progress.

Old 02-28-2014, 05:30 PM

493 posts, read 637,594 times
Quote:
I'm not winning anything...

it's your link and it clearly says Even if your community is not listed, changes may still be in progress.

Gary, it's probably just a disclaimer they put there to cover their a$$ when they don't keep their site up to date. HH, Gary is a well informed guy in fact his nick name on the dock is "The Wizard" because anything you need to know he either knows or can get the answer on his special wizard phone. He'll argue to the death to prove his point but the frustrating part is he's usually right. It's all done in good fun though

Old 04-15-2014, 05:29 AM

5,176 posts, read 4,951,032 times
Default So much for an 18% increase limit

I just received my flood insurance notice yesterday and it's increased by 40.2%!! Not sure why, I thought the increases were limited to 18% plus a surcharge. Guess I'll be calling the insurance guy today. I wonder if they still have it listed as a second home whereas it's been my primary residence for over a year now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte