Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 07:13 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,444,863 times

Advertisements

There is a renewal election for the 1 cent sales tax we pay in Charlotte Co to pay for the county 'wish list'. This 'temporary tax' has been around for 20 years.

Yes, the tax has paid for road widening, etc. However, the county has gotten to rely on this tax for items that should be paid for out of normal funding, and is now including items that county officials don't want.

Example is several million to upgrade the county radio system. This is a necessary item but should be paid for out of the base operating funds, not relying on supplemental funds. $32M is to be allocated for a new jail, that the sheriff says is both not needed and wouldn't be needed for over 20 years.

At the same time, rather than funding sewer improvements out of this 1 cent fee, which should be done as it benefits all people, the county wants to lay the costs on those being connected to the system, and will do this throughout the count, raising the fees higher and higher.

IMO, a NO vote should be cast to get the county to reprioritize its needs to more reflect citizen needs than county dreams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 07:38 AM

2,837 posts, read 2,695,477 times
I just heard on the radio that there is $2,000,000 left over from the 2002 to 2006 1% voter approved sales tax addition. The explanation is that it is being held for something called the Winchester project.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:52 AM

229 posts, read 346,959 times
Well all I can say is "no"

Old 10-01-2014, 09:08 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,002,426 times
Absolutely NO on this. We've had several sign-waving outings in opposition of this tax increase extension.

Old 10-01-2014, 10:44 AM

325 posts, read 507,599 times
Preaching to the choir here. Haven't been a resident in PG very long but I can still smell something rotten when I see it. Does that sound right? LOL You still get the message.

Old 10-01-2014, 11:07 AM

1,438 posts, read 1,964,095 times
There's been some discussion of this subject here before, and I haven't seen anybody post in favor of it. I'm trying to figure out how to vote "NO" twice - since I lived in Illinois, that seems like a rational strategy to me.

Old 10-01-2014, 11:14 AM

1,917 posts, read 2,631,029 times
I know I'm going to get flack for this but, I like the idea of this tax because it is targeted to capital projects and can't be used to pay for toilet paper and salaries.

The OP states that these projects should be paid for out of the base funds (property taxes) that would only have the effect of raising property taxes more. The beauty of the 1% on the sales tax is that it is only based on what you spend and a large part of that tax is paid by tourists.

If I were King the only tax would be a consumption based sales tax.

If there is a tax we should be fighting it's the property tax that can be spent any way they want.

Gary

Last edited by MartyGras; 10-01-2014 at 11:37 AM..

Old 10-01-2014, 12:53 PM

165 posts, read 254,052 times
Heres my 2 cents for what its worth. Charlotte county has a history of not being accountable to the taxpayer again and again and making boneheaded decisions that are to this day costing us, the people , millions. The 1 cent tax will NEVER go away if its not stopped. There is always a need or want to fill. The county commissioners will NEVER try to live within their means, meaning our means, if a line in the sand is not drawn by the taxpayers. I vote NO. Why? I want the commission to have to do their job, and adjust the county spending to reflect the real amount of dollars they have to use. If some sidewalks and building dont get built so what. And stop the MSBUs. That whole process is being misused. But, thats a different discussion.

Old 10-01-2014, 02:31 PM

325 posts, read 507,599 times
If in fact this is voted down then maybe the commissioners will understand that the people will vote them out next election. People need to start taking the decisions back and make sure the elected officials do what the voters want.

Old 10-01-2014, 03:26 PM

3,179 posts, read 6,002,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1dobiedude View Post
If in fact this is voted down then maybe the commissioners will understand that the people will vote them out next election. People need to start taking the decisions back and make sure the elected officials do what the voters want.
Not going to happen. There's not enough people to vote. VERY tiny % of people vote here. Two commissioners just won their primary, which was shocking! Now they'll likely win the election as well. It's sad. They get away with whatever they want, and nobody votes. Those that keep voting them in are misguided by the toilet paper local media group (i.e. the Sun newspaper) that constantly kisses the a$$es of our local politicians (you think they're getting something for their effort???) Corruption and waste at it's dirtiest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte