Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 08:37 AM

1,393 posts, read 1,552,913 times

Advertisements

We're re-doing our pool and lanai and need to have someone to alter our aluminum hurricane sliding shutters on our lanai. Either shortened or raised up

Anyone know someone good who may be able to this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2015, 08:46 AM

1,438 posts, read 1,962,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03bluecoupe View Post
We're re-doing our pool and lanai and need to have someone to alter our aluminum hurricane sliding shutters on our lanai. Either shortened or raised up

Anyone know someone good who may be able to this?
Can't picture what you're trying to do, but if you have the accordion type shutters like ours, it seems like modifying the height would be impractical. That said, we've been happy with shutter repairs done by Active Door & Window; maybe they can help you.

Old 12-04-2015, 08:51 AM

well, to elaborate... yes we have the accordion style aluminum shutters that slide in aluminum tracks top and bottom. The problem is, we're re-doing our lanai with pavers. In our case, there is an angle bracket at the top that, if replaced with a different bracket, may allow the whole thing to be raised. The other possibility would be to cut some off of the bottom, reinstall a new bottom track ontop of the pavers, and reinstall the slider posts. Not sure if that's do-able or not.

We may be hose and have to come up with a different solution but figured I'd try and find someone who could come look at it and see what they think.

Thanks for the reply.

Old 12-04-2015, 09:05 AM

1,973 posts, read 2,271,961 times
Either solution is do-able.. I looked at mine before commenting.. Yes cutting off the bottom is do-able and re-setting the bottom track and reinstalling rollers is a no brainer.. Mine are extruded Aluminum as I assume so are yours and cutting them to fit is easy... Anyone could do it. As for raising the entire unit? My Soffit is all but .... sitting on my upper track so I would have to address that issue first , but that's do-able as well.. I have 3- 9'4" Openings there by 6 panels.. Its a one day job for 2 guys at most..
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03bluecoupe View Post
well, to elaborate... yes we have the accordion style aluminum shutters that slide in aluminum tracks top and bottom. The problem is, we're re-doing our lanai with pavers. In our case, there is an angle bracket at the top that, if replaced with a different bracket, may allow the whole thing to be raised. The other possibility would be to cut some off of the bottom, reinstall a new bottom track ontop of the pavers, and reinstall the slider posts. Not sure if that's do-able or not.

We may be hose and have to come up with a different solution but figured I'd try and find someone who could come look at it and see what they think.

Thanks for the reply.

Old 12-04-2015, 09:28 AM

Thanks Mac, may need to go that route but I called the company that Mike recommended (Thanks Mike!) and they have an alternative solution that would actually hide the track totally and lose the tripping hazard. My wife would love it cause she hates that bottom track.

Here's the pic from their site. And oddly enough, the pavers in the picture look like the ones that SWMBO picked out! lol

Last edited by 03bluecoupe; 12-04-2015 at 09:52 AM..

Old 12-04-2015, 09:55 AM

Yep!! That's do-able as seen.. They are using as I would or may... "Paver Soaps" They are a thinner version of the ones used for Sand Set Driveways.. Our Project is still up in the air. We are using , 18x18 Travertine Stone in our "Florida Room" behind those Hurricane Shutters, between the house and the pool so as to give the optical effect of making that area all part of the house.. With losing the draining effect of the pebble-tec that new drain channel is a must ..

Old 12-04-2015, 10:00 AM

Yeah, I think the pavers are 1 1/4" if I'm not mistaken. Not full blown pavers, they'd raise the deck too much. I talked to one contractor who said it'd be a minimum of $1500 to take 'em down, cut them off, reinstall the track after the pavers were done. And that would still leave us with the tripping hazard/pita.

I think I'm really liking the solution shown in my pic. and I suspect my wife is going to say - "That's what we are doing!" lol She absolutely HATES that aluminum track.

They're coming by later for a price quote. Just FYI, our shutters measure 34'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgregorsailor51 View Post
Yep!! That's do-able as seen.. They are using as I would or may... "Paver Soaps" They are a thinner version of the ones used for Sand Set Driveways.. Our Project is still up in the air. We are using , 18x18 Travertine Stone in our "Florida Room" behind those Hurricane Shutters, between the house and the pool so as to give the optical effect of making that area all part of the house.. With losing the draining effect of the pebble-tec that new drain channel is a must ..

Old 12-04-2015, 02:43 PM

Its a GREAT LOOK and a wonderful solution for pebble-tec... I will add the "drain tracks" inside and out... Inside is Travertine for sure.. I set my Travertine on the diagonal and cut off One Corner from each stone and have 4''x4" Brown Marble insets.. PITA setting up the pattern but once started it was a No Brainer.. Marble insets are Every other tile in every other row and rows are offset hahahah .. Its a nice effect..
Yes we too have about 38 feet of accordians but 1 set will be unaffected with whatever we do out by the pool..

Old 12-04-2015, 10:10 PM

Getting a price on Monday - ain't gonna be cheap but no tripping crap! I'm guestimating somewhere around a grand. I'll let ya know.

Old 12-04-2015, 10:12 PM

Sheesh Mac, wanna give us a competing bid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgregorsailor51 View Post
Its a GREAT LOOK and a wonderful solution for pebble-tec... I will add the "drain tracks" inside and out... Inside is Travertine for sure.. I set my Travertine on the diagonal and cut off One Corner from each stone and have 4''x4" Brown Marble insets.. PITA setting up the pattern but once started it was a No Brainer.. Marble insets are Every other tile in every other row and rows are offset hahahah .. Its a nice effect..
Yes we too have about 38 feet of accordians but 1 set will be unaffected with whatever we do out by the pool..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte