Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2016, 03:33 PM

8 posts, read 14,592 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about moving to Florida, exactly where at this point, I am not sure, but Punta Gorda seems to have attractive mobile home communities and I would like a 55+ community. My question is, are mobile homes in hurricane prone areas anchored to the ground in a better way, than say they would be otherwise? If you get a hurricane warning, does everyone evacuate or just stay put ? I have had no experience with this kind of weather problem and do not know what to expect. Thanx for any input. (I did live in Ft Pierce for a couple years, when I was a kid, and don't remember any hurricane warnings, just everyday thunderstorms !)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016, 04:00 PM

1,917 posts, read 2,636,882 times
I don't think you can make a decision on where to move without spending some time visiting

Mobile homes are anchored down quite securely however when the last storm Hurricane Charlie hit Punta Gorda the only thing left were the hurricane straps, the mobile homes were just piles of aluminum strewn everywhere.

On the subject of evacuation you will get different answers depending on who you ask.

Gary

Old 02-11-2016, 06:53 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,458,300 times
In a manufactured home, leave. That simple. Hurricane force winds are not the main threat. It is the tornados that spawn within the hurricane. During Charley, one hit the concrete block hardware store, left only one wall standing. Think what that would do to a mfg home.

As an aside, we were in an old mfg home at a fishing camp when we caught a glancing blow from a twister. Picked it up with us in it. You do NOT want to be in one in a hurricane.

As a general rule, as we live in a block home, Cat 1 or 2, we will stay put in our home. 3 or higher, we are out of here. We have lived on or near the Gulf Coast several times, and generally get out of their way. High water will get you, can be much more dangerous than the wind.

Old 02-18-2016, 11:18 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,565,657 times
My parents live in a 55+ mobile home golf course community in Punta Gorda. They came to my house in North Port during hurricane Charley. They were requested to evacuate. Some of the residents did stay in their homes. My parents mobile home was built in 1999. The only damage they sustained was some of their aluminum carport blew off and they had one broken window because they did not have hurricane shutters. They have since purchased hurricane shutters. Their community suffered a lot of damaged trees and the entire community was littered with aluminum from carports and lanais. The older homes did not stand up so well, but the newer ones were fine. Just some carport, lanai and roof issues which most of the homes in the Punta Gorda area sustained roof damage, lanai and pool screen damage as well. That was Hurricane Charley in 2004. You get plenty of warning for hurricanes. Just watch the news and they will tell you when to evacuate. There are evacuation centers that will open up. Some allow pets, others do not. You make your hurricane plan ahead of time. We haven't had a hurricane hit since Charley.

There are quite a few 55+ mobile home parks to choose from. Some are lot rent and some are land owned. Have you decided which type you would like? It might also depend on your price range and what type of amenities you are looking for. Some parks are more social than others.

Old 02-18-2016, 12:00 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,576,843 times
I have some snowbird friends who have lived 'down the road' in Windmill Village for several years, a nice mobile home park, a few canals in there. Not only did they have to replace their entire home, but now on the new one, their insurance is sky high; and their land lease fee is also very high. They still go back every year though.

Old 02-18-2016, 05:21 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,458,300 times
If getting in a park, buy into one where you own the lot as well. More expensive but HOA will be in the $150 month area vs $700 lot rent. Also, as a homeowner you would have a voice in the HOA and management, whereas in a land-lease, you are at the whim of the park owner, rules can change, rents go up, and park sold out from under you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: