Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 05:47 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,824,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messing About View Post
I'm going to upset a bunch of folks with this but I'm speaking practically, not politically.
If you are sensitive to the plight of raccoons, please read no further.

Go to tractor supply and tell them you want to buy the product known as Coon Die Soon. There's a generic name they sell it under but they will know what you want.
Follow the directions. Keep any desirable pets indoors during treatment.

Forget the traps and the trappers. Waste of your money and ineffective.
My next door neighbor had coins nesting in their attic. Spent $3000 on trappers with zero results.

Coon die soon and a shovel to clean up the dead carcasses. Problem solved.
Hahaha lock and load my friend!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2016, 05:51 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,474,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gal View Post
I've tried googling all of this but I'm not coming up with a hard answer and I don't really want to call and ask. All I do know is that the animal control people in Sarasota County euthanize them and I was told that the people who trap them do the same thing because there is no place to re-home them.
Here's a link that may help.

Wildlife Assistance/Nuisance Wildlife

Old 04-16-2016, 06:06 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,901,228 times
Just dealt with a raccoon which wintered over in my summer cabin, between the ceiling and roof.

What hasn't been mentioned is that coons will create "raccoon latrines" , which are just what they sound like, in a place near to wherever they hold up. "My" raccoon picked the space above a window, between the inner and outer wall of the cabin. The smell was terrible, and it was a serious health hazard (look up "raccoon latrines" - I was shocked at how dangerous they can be to people). So a commercial pest control company handled it: first cleaning out the "latrine" and sanitizing it, while wearing gloves and breathing masks (I remained outside during this procedure), then sealing the entrance the coon had created. My bill is for several hundred dollars. But I can safely use my cabin once again, without worrying about an unwanted tenant overhead.

Traps and shooting do not work in prime raccoon habitat - you may get rid of a few coons, but their friends and relatives will repeat their unwanted behavior. So avoiding feeding them, whether deliberately or by unsecured garbage or entry into human living quarters, and securing said human living quarters, is the best and certainly most humane way of coping.

Raccoons are extremely cute, smart little critters - but they are wild animals, and they need to stay that way to stay safe.

Old 04-19-2016, 09:47 AM

1,886 posts, read 1,840,422 times

LOLOLOLOL

Old 04-19-2016, 09:56 AM

1,886 posts, read 1,840,422 times
They are cute but I wouldn't want them getting in my house or wrecking things in my yard. When I was young, my Dad had a pair of them that he rescued (the mother was found dead on his property) He found the two babies and raised them. My sister and I named them Heckel and Jeckel LOLOL
We would walk them around on leashes on our Dad's property. Until they were big enough to be on their own, my Dad kept them in a Huge walk in cage with a nice box to sleep in. He released them once they were old enough. Of course, this was in Wisconsin and my Dad lived out in the country
Hopefully you will be able to resolve the issue you are having in your area. The neighbors really should not be feeding them as it just creates problems. Yikes!

Old 04-21-2016, 07:45 PM

1,917 posts, read 2,632,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch33 View Post
Doublecheck your local laws to make sure you're okay shooting air rifles on your property. Your raccoon-loving neighbors might try to turn the tables on you and cause trouble.
Get a paintball gun....I think after getting shot a few times they will find someplace else to hang out.

Gary

Old 05-04-2016, 08:14 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,496,886 times
Hired a guy out of Venice to trap them and get rid of them. In five days he has trapped 3 of them.

Old 05-04-2016, 11:13 AM

17,210 posts, read 15,404,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyGras View Post
Get a paintball gun....I think after getting shot a few times they will find someplace else to hang out.

Gary
Or they will get pissed off and attack you. They are ridiculously strong, and they know it.

Old 05-04-2016, 07:08 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,027,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Or they will get pissed off and attack you. They are ridiculously strong, and they know it.
They can be mean little suckers, but they ain't stupid. Unless you corner them they won't attack you.....

Again, I had one as a pet for years....respect their space and they will respect you. Corner them and you better watch TF out! They won't charge from a distance unless they are protecting babies.

A water hose or water/paintball gun will have them running away. And they won't forget.

Old 05-05-2016, 05:28 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,496,886 times
Another day and another trapped raccoon. Don't know what the trapper is using for bait but it sure works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte