Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 03:04 PM

56 posts, read 112,694 times

Advertisements

After years of living with the mosquitoes, we finally bought a mosquito trap, and I absolutely love it. We have 1.5 acres and need only one of them. There are varieties online that require nothing except plug it in and let it run (at night). They kill by luring the bugs in with light and CO2 (generated naturally via a chemical reaction with a metal), then there's a fan that sucks up the bug once it's nearby, and it is trapped in a fine net cage where it dies via dehydration. Eventually the bulb would need to be replaced, but otherwise it's maintenance free and has sat in the rain all last summer with no adverse repercussions.

We have ZERO mosquitoes on our property now.

We also have had county spraying for years, but it didn't help much... at least I never noticed a difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2018, 05:17 PM

112 posts, read 146,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notsellingathing View Post
After years of living with the mosquitoes, we finally bought a mosquito trap, and I absolutely love it. We have 1.5 acres and need only one of them. There are varieties online that require nothing except plug it in and let it run (at night). They kill by luring the bugs in with light and CO2 (generated naturally via a chemical reaction with a metal), then there's a fan that sucks up the bug once it's nearby, and it is trapped in a fine net cage where it dies via dehydration. Eventually the bulb would need to be replaced, but otherwise it's maintenance free and has sat in the rain all last summer with no adverse repercussions.

We have ZERO mosquitoes on our property now.

We also have had county spraying for years, but it didn't help much... at least I never noticed a difference.

What brand/model did you buy?

Old 12-06-2018, 07:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,056 times
Default Water in South Gulf Cove. Salt or Fresh

I have taken surface water samples each week in Attica Canal and found it to be fresh all year round. I sample from a consistent depth of 12 inches, so this is only surface readings. But I have yet to find one sample that has over 0.02% salt.

However, I am sure that I would find more salt if I would sample at greater depth.
Also, Attica Canal is well off the lagoon and primary canals.

Old 12-07-2018, 04:14 AM

21 posts, read 22,244 times
That is great information. Low salinity is good for boats but maybe too high for mosquitoes to breed?

Old 12-07-2018, 05:06 AM

207 posts, read 260,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPHall View Post
I have taken surface water samples each week in Attica Canal and found it to be fresh all year round. I sample from a consistent depth of 12 inches, so this is only surface readings. But I have yet to find one sample that has over 0.02% salt.

However, I am sure that I would find more salt if I would sample at greater depth.
Also, Attica Canal is well off the lagoon and primary canals.
What do you use to test salinity?

Old 03-02-2019, 08:48 AM

2 posts, read 3,647 times
Mr daz, looking at house on arlewood.... also lookin in PGI... we are big boaters , and kayakers move house for the money in sch, you like living there ????22mi to boca , 19 from alligator alley... we are trying to decide where to go !!!!

Old 03-02-2019, 09:29 AM

190 posts, read 259,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morue View Post
Mr daz, looking at house on arlewood.... also lookin in PGI... we are big boaters , and kayakers move house for the money in sch, you like living there ????22mi to boca , 19 from alligator alley... we are trying to decide where to go !!!!
I do for the most part, but I wish that I had more room to park things (boats, trailers, etc.) though. SGC is an OK place - We're not close to anything, but not terribly far from essentials (groceries, etc.). Any real entertainment and culture is a good hour drive (more in season). One big plus for us is that we're on brackish water and because of the lock have no tides in here. Bottom paint on our big boat is going on 5+ years now and still doesn't need redoing.

We looked at PGI and I prefer the location but I'm not a fan of all of the rules there (parking, only concrete docks, no boat lift canopies, etc.). PG has a lot more to offer than PC or Englewood, but it's all a trade-off. We ended up here because we need deep water with no bridges and SGC met the bill. If I were doing it all over I'd pick a nicer area with more to do.

I know that (yellow) house you're looking at - I live a few houses away, just down the street around the curve.

Daz

Old 03-03-2019, 04:34 AM

207 posts, read 260,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Hana Daz View Post
but I wish that I had more room to park things (boats, trailers, etc.) though.

Daz
Just park all your extra stuff on a vacant lot like others do.

Old 03-03-2019, 08:26 AM

1,333 posts, read 2,201,891 times
From looking at the listings, there always seems to be a decent inventory of newish homes less than 5 years old. I always thought it was odd for someone to take the time and effort to build a new home and go through the process and all that entails and then promptly sell the dream home within a few years.

It shows some moves have a failure to thrive. Maybe the relative isolation is part of that but I always thought the demographic was self selecting. The people want warmth and water for boating and don't care about all those other things. If they wanted that, they'd move to a 55+ community somewhere with all the activities and organizations.

Old 03-03-2019, 11:20 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,824,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
From looking at the listings, there always seems to be a decent inventory of newish homes less than 5 years old. I always thought it was odd for someone to take the time and effort to build a new home and go through the process and all that entails and then promptly sell the dream home within a few years.

It shows some moves have a failure to thrive. Maybe the relative isolation is part of that but I always thought the demographic was self selecting. The people want warmth and water for boating and don't care about all those other things. If they wanted that, they'd move to a 55+ community somewhere with all the activities and organizations.
Or just maybe their home appreciated and they got a decent return on their investment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte