Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2018, 09:28 PM

122 posts, read 136,507 times

Advertisements

I am a Florida native but haven't lived in the state since I was a teenager. My husband and I currently live in Montana where our biggest natural disasters are typically fire, hail, and a random tornado here and there. We bought a 2006 house in Deep Creek Section 20 in 2013. We are excited to start wintering in Florida in about a year.

We followed Hurricane Michael with great concern for all who have been in its path. We have been wondering if there is anyone on this forum who experienced Hurricane Charley in person and would be willing to share some info on how the Deep Creek area fared during that disaster. Guess we're feeling some hurricane apprehension after the last few seasons!

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2018, 06:55 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,534,081 times
Did you have a home inspection done as part of your agreement to purchase? Was there any information on the FL Residential Disclosure form? Did you ask your Realtor ? Was the 2006 house brand new in 2006?

Old 10-12-2018, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Did you have a home inspection done as part of your agreement to purchase? Was there any information on the FL Residential Disclosure form? Did you ask your Realtor ? Was the 2006 house brand new in 2006?
Yes, to all but nothing on the residential disclosure form. Just wondering what experiences others had in the Deep Creek area during Charley. Thank you.

Old 10-12-2018, 04:18 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,534,081 times
There was a lot of damage in PG and PC in general. I had a condo at Kingsway (down the road in DeSoto County) after everything was cleaned up; a friend of mine said that the roof on one of her 3 story condo buildings (Newport Condos.) came completely off.

That complex is on the other side of King's Hwy. and Sandhill Rd. from Deep Creek. I know of several homes in Deep Creek that had some serious damage. There was also a tornado that went thru Deep Creek within your time period. You may want to contact the Charlotte County newspaper, or search their paper online.

I like Deep Creek, and wouldn't hesitate to buy in there …. after a total professional home inspection by an engineer or one of the top notch builders in that area. Don't worry, you should be fine. If you've had a tenant in that house, they should be able to tell you of any problems they know about long before this.

Best wishes.

Old 10-12-2018, 09:15 PM

3,128 posts, read 2,254,432 times
While I wasn’t here in section 20 in 2006, the house I bought suffered significant damage to the lanai from Charley but nothing else. My neighbor told me his house, located right beside of mine, had extensive damage that took months to repair. Go figure! Also, I didn’t even lose a shingle from Irma and we had some very strong winds pass over our house.

Old 10-14-2018, 01:53 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,545,164 times
There was damage to roofs, lanais and some trees in hurricane Charley in Deep Creek. Some had water infiltration because of the damaged leaking roofs until they got the blue tarps up. It's just the way the hurricane hit and then traveled across through Deep Creek. If you do a Google search of hurricane Charley 2004 in Deep Creek you will get some videos and stories. Here is a link to one video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZ3xdbCTYPE

Old 10-14-2018, 07:41 PM

1,291 posts, read 176,722 times
We weren't living here then but were told our house had about a fifth of its roof blown off and the kitchen destroyed. The pool cage went bye-bye, somersaulting down the fairway. Nobody's pool cage on our street survived. One of our neighbors were here and had worse damage. It took a year before they could move back into their home because it took that long to fix. That's the problem - the aftermath. So much damage, so few available to repair and rebuild in a timely and legal fashion. Other neighbors on our street had less damage to their houses but nobody got away scot free.

We were here for Irma but that was nothing compared to Charley and Michael. It was scary as it was our first hurricane but we got away so lucky with Irma. Monumental difference between a Cat 2 and a 4. We had hurricane shutters installed this year because after the misery of the "plywood solution" last year for Irma, we did not want to go through that again. There's lots to do to prepare for a hurricane, you don't need to waste 3 days shopping for, cutting and putting up plywood.

Old 10-19-2018, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
While I wasn’t here in section 20 in 2006, the house I bought suffered significant damage to the lanai from Charley but nothing else. My neighbor told me his house, located right beside of mine, had extensive damage that took months to repair. Go figure! Also, I didn’t even lose a shingle from Irma and we had some very strong winds pass over our house.
Thanks, Ron. That is crazy to have such a difference in damage between houses right next to each other.

Old 10-19-2018, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rocky View Post
We weren't living here then but were told our house had about a fifth of its roof blown off and the kitchen destroyed. The pool cage went bye-bye, somersaulting down the fairway. Nobody's pool cage on our street survived. One of our neighbors were here and had worse damage. It took a year before they could move back into their home because it took that long to fix. That's the problem - the aftermath. So much damage, so few available to repair and rebuild in a timely and legal fashion. Other neighbors on our street had less damage to their houses but nobody got away scot free.

We were here for Irma but that was nothing compared to Charley and Michael. It was scary as it was our first hurricane but we got away so lucky with Irma. Monumental difference between a Cat 2 and a 4. We had hurricane shutters installed this year because after the misery of the "plywood solution" last year for Irma, we did not want to go through that again. There's lots to do to prepare for a hurricane, you don't need to waste 3 days shopping for, cutting and putting up plywood.
Thanks for the info, Rocky. The shutters sound like the only way to go.

Old 10-19-2018, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamRE View Post
There was damage to roofs, lanais and some trees in hurricane Charley in Deep Creek. Some had water infiltration because of the damaged leaking roofs until they got the blue tarps up. It's just the way the hurricane hit and then traveled across through Deep Creek. If you do a Google search of hurricane Charley 2004 in Deep Creek you will get some videos and stories. Here is a link to one video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZ3xdbCTYPE
I appreciate the link, TamRe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte