Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2021, 06:46 PM

133 posts, read 172,227 times

Advertisements

I purchased a short sale home in PC in 2013. It currently has a metal hip roof which according to neighbors was completely replaced in 2004 after hurricane Charlie ripped the old tile roof off. I’ve had 2 home inspectors out trying to determine if there are roof clips and both have said it’s impossible to determine because they can’t access the area. My homeowners insurance premium would be less if I have roof clips. I know the building code for new construction changed in 2001 but would that also apply to replacement? Is there any way I could search for the building permit from when the roof was replaced? Any help with this is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2021, 05:37 AM

5,167 posts, read 4,939,822 times
I find it hard to believe that a home inspector can't access the underside of the roof in order to inspect for the clips. I would think that if it can't be accessed from inside the attic space, even if needing an fiber optic inspection camera to do so, then they would be able to look at it by removing some of the soffit. But what do I know. I'm just a dumb retired fireman.

Old 02-26-2021, 08:19 AM

Thanks for your response, that makes good sense. I guess the inspectors I’ve had just didn’t want to bother, I guess my next step will be to call around and find one with the necessary equipment to access the area. At least now I know there are options!

Old 02-26-2021, 08:22 AM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
If the code specified clips in 2004 then they should have been used for the replacement that year.

Old 02-26-2021, 10:30 AM

78 posts, read 101,270 times
Are you sure you are asking about roof clips? They are small H shaped metal the fit between the plywood sheathing. Usually required when rafters or trusses are set at 24 inch centre. He may be looking for truss / rafter hurricane straps. These secure individual trusses or rafters to the tie beam. H clips are easy to see. Straps are not so easy to see and yes removing some soffit will work nicely

Old 02-26-2021, 10:50 AM

Yes, I do have the visible H straps throughout the attic but my insurance company specified roof clips and on the inspection reports it states not accessible.

Old 02-26-2021, 10:58 AM

10,951 posts, read 3,690,015 times
Get an independent person that works on Appraisals and they will get you what you need, for a price of course.

He can get you a roof report similar to the ones done on Wind Mitigation cases for the roof portion...

Old 02-26-2021, 01:10 PM

207 posts, read 422,246 times
Try searching for the permit at https://www.charlottecountyfl.gov/de...-services.stml and you should be able to find something on file with the county. I agree that replacement of the roof would have been done to current code at the time.

Old 02-26-2021, 03:05 PM

10,951 posts, read 3,690,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huasho View Post
Get an independent person that works on Appraisals and they will get you what you need, for a price of course.

He can get you a roof report similar to the ones done on Wind Mitigation cases for the roof portion...

BTW a Wind Mitigation Report after all is what Insurance Companies ask for when customers want lower rates, and if the Report warrant's the Break, the Customer gets it.

I did that here in SW Miami 3 years ago

Old 02-26-2021, 07:21 PM

Thanks everyone for all the feedback, you’ve given me several options to pursue. I’m retiring in fall and moving there full time so need to cut costs where I can! Can’t wait to get the homestead exemption and won’t miss the Midwest winters at all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte