Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 11:47 AM

469 posts, read 1,640,542 times

Advertisements

What are the most popular FM/AM radio stations in America? I am trying to locate this information online but I have not been able to outside of public opinion and guesses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 12:21 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
By what measure? Ratings?

Ratings are a percentage of audience. If you want to convert those percentages to numbers of listeners, I would suggest looking at the highest-rated stations in the Top 10 radio markets and dividing the number of listeners in that market by the station's highest rating.

A good source for ratings is Radio-Info.com: Radio's Online Community. You can get the radio market listener population numbers from Arbitron.com.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:28 PM

It would help if there was a website that showcased the most popular Top 40 FM radio station within the country. I know KISS FM in La and Z100 in NYC are some of the most popular, but I would like to locate the rest.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:32 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowOrNever View Post
It would help if there was a website that showcased the most popular Top 40 FM radio station within the country. I know KISS FM in La and Z100 in NYC are some of the most popular, but I would like to locate the rest.
Advertising is targeted by demographics these days and advertisers buy specific audiences, not bulk audiences aged 12 and up, which is what the publicly available ratings numbers measure. Consequently, a cross-market ranking isn't really useful to anyone in the radio or advertising business, which is why you have to compile it yourself.

Old 01-29-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Advertising is targeted by demographics these days and advertisers buy specific audiences, not bulk audiences aged 12 and up, which is what the publicly available ratings numbers measure. Consequently, a cross-market ranking isn't really useful to anyone in the radio or advertising business, which is why you have to compile it yourself.
So you are saying there is no list available online of the most popular (in terms of listeners) Top 40 FM radio channels? And this is due to the role marketing plays in the popularity?

Old 01-29-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:
So you are saying there is no list available online of the most popular (in terms of listeners) Top 40 FM radio channels? And this is due to the role marketing plays in the popularity?
I'm saying that I doubt it exists, because I just can't think of a reason that someone in the industry would find it worth compiling. Bragging rights isn't a good reason, especially since all of the top 50 most popular radio stations in the US are owned by one of about 4 companies.

The business of radio, really all of commercial broadcasting, is about selling audiences to advertisers. Those advertisers don't buy bulk audiences, they buy demographics.

If it exists, someone at the radio-info forums probably compiled it.

Old 01-29-2012, 05:46 PM

285 posts, read 703,353 times
After spending a few minutes at radio-info.com with a calculator, it seems pretty clear that the most listened-to radio station in the United States during the Holiday 2011 ratings period was WKTU-FM in New York.

Their format was referred to as "rhythmic AC."

Old 01-29-2012, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YtownGuy View Post
After spending a few minutes at radio-info.com with a calculator, it seems pretty clear that the most listened-to radio station in the United States during the Holiday 2011 ratings period was WKTU-FM in New York.

Their format was referred to as "rhythmic AC."
Really? Within the New York area or in the USA? I thought WHTZ-FM was the most popular.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:08 PM

285 posts, read 703,353 times
Oops! Actually, it looks like we're both wrong. Don't take my word; check it out for yourself.
Markets:New York | Radio-Info.com

I got the wrong station, and it seems like it's the top radio station in both New York and in the USA.

New York is a large and densely populated city and there are a few million people living beyond the city but within range of many New York stations.

Old 02-02-2012, 04:36 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,383,184 times
Quote:
So you are saying there is no list available online of the most popular (in terms of listeners) Top 40 FM radio channels?
There is, actually:

Features : Ratings Recaps : Holiday 2011 PPM: CHR and Rhythmic National Recaps | Radio-Info.com

Scroll to the "Holiday Book's 20 Biggest Cumes" heading, and that should be exactly what you're looking for.

For all stations, not just top 40's, try this one:

Features : Ratings Recaps : Holiday 2011 PPM: The National Recaps | Radio-Info.com

Scroll to "The PPM 40 - Holiday Books' 40 Biggest Cumes".

As it turns out, WLTW is the #1 overall listened to station in America, while WHTZ is the #1 top 40 station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio