Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2008, 12:22 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,129,735 times

Advertisements

One of my favorite hobbies is "DXing". It's also one of the most difficult to explain. Essentially, DXing is like fishing or hunting distant radio and (over-the-air) TV stations. You wait for the (weather or ionospheric) conditions to be right, what in common parlance is known as "skip", and then you go to the dials and see what you can find. Hopefully you'll get a new station, which you can add to your logbook. The tools are quite simple: most often a good outdoor antenna, an antenna rotator, a decent TV set or radio tuner (or digital TV computer card), and a computer to keep a log and record audio.

Personally, most of my DXing is on the TV and FM bands, which are similar. In Minnesota, the best time for "E-skip", which brings in low band TV (channels 2 - 6) and FM signals from 750 to 1,500 miles distant bouncing off the E layer of the ionosphere, some 50 miles or so above earth, is from May to July, and "tropo ducting" which works through "ducts" in the lower atmosphere, which brings in signals on all TV bands (especially UHF) and is an entirely different animal altogether and FM radio from 300 - 800+ miles is June through September. There are other, rare types of DX as well.

I also like to DX AM radio, which is completely different. Perhaps you've heard a high-powered AM station 500 or 1,000 miles away driving at night, which is perfectly normal.

Anybody else know what I'm talking about? Ever done it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 08:53 AM

31 posts, read 218,158 times
Yes.....I'm a ham radio op....talk all over the world by short wave radio.
Radio waves are , well amazing !!!!!!
BOB

Old 07-21-2008, 10:48 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,070,967 times
I heard a cab driver talking on his radio to his base from a large set of hi-fi stereo speakers. The stereo was turned on but there was no record playing at the time.
I've never picked up Rush Limbaugh from my fillings yet though !!!

Old 07-27-2008, 01:02 AM

514 posts, read 1,669,920 times
I just picked an RCA Super Radio III and noticed I can pick up stations in Delaware and Chicago, but I cant get an AM station 12miles away from me at night.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:07 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,129,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinist View Post
I just picked an RCA Super Radio III and noticed I can pick up stations in Delaware and Chicago, but I cant get an AM station 12miles away from me at night.
The AM station you wish to pick up might be running a directional pattern unfavorable to you at night - in other words, they are concentrating their signal in a certain direction in order to protect another station on the same frequency from interference. If you give me the station's call letters, I can see if this your problem.

I don't know about Delaware, but Chicago has several "clear channel" stations: WLS 890, WGN 720, WSCR 670, WBBM 780, and perhaps others. These stations are non-directional, meaning (in theory) their signals are radiated without prejudice to any direction, and with 50,000 watts they reliably cover most of the eastern half of the U.S. Today, however, you might have trouble hearing at least WSCR due to WFAN's "HD Radio" signal, which extends well beyond 670 kHz to cover up both 660 and 680 kHz with a layer of noise.

Old 08-02-2008, 05:44 AM

514 posts, read 1,669,920 times
Hey Thanks, the station ic WCTC 1450 in New Brunswick

Old 08-08-2008, 03:48 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,092,976 times
I bought a Channel 7 specific antenna to get Spokane PBS to watch Dr. Who. Yagi type antenna so I had to aim it pretty carefully. Spokane is about 250 miles from our house. When the atmospheric conditions were good, it came in pretty well, with a full color picture and decent audio. But some nights it was so snowy that you could hardly follow what the Doctor was up to.

Have not used it for that purpose in a while, lost interest. Am still using the same antenna to pick up the new digital signals.

BTW not to thread-jack but it does seem to me that the analog TV signal works much better when we have wind - the digital will pixilate (is that a word - the picture goes to a pattern of colored squares that only remotely represents the real image - )and/or just lose the picture.

Old 08-30-2008, 08:16 AM

468 posts, read 1,887,396 times
M3 Mitch,

How high up is your channel 7 antenna? That's high VHF (174-180 MHz) and 250 miles would be quit a challenge. Is the transmitter on one of those mountains in Wa.? Do you have a pre-amp located AT THE ANTENNA? How long is your feed line and of what quality? A good low loss solid shield coax is in order.

Wind has nothing to do with VHF propagation directly. Approaching frontal systems can cause something called tropospheric ducting. Ham radio VHF/UHF enthusiast will get on the air during the fall months when the cold fronts are pushing down from Canada and work stations thousands of miles away. It's not unusual for a guy in Texas to work another guy in Florida during these times.

Korel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio