Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2010, 11:22 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,876,338 times

Advertisements

^^ Pirates (hams) working between the 10 and 11 meter band allocations. This was back in the 1977~79 time period and the sunspots cycle was going crazy then. I remember they operated on upper sideband and between what was considered “normal” channel increments. It was much less crowed with those operating between freq so you could hear them more easily to get information. Normally you’d only get one side of the conversations but it was always interesting to find out what was happening elsewhere. The 11 meter segment was set for the CBer in the US but I don’t know if those freq were allocated for that use elsewhere in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 02:17 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,181,738 times
One can still find lots of "freebanders" any time the "skip" is coming in (recently it's been sporadic-E). I sometimes listen to the 11-meter CB and freeband just to see whether it is or not. Those people between 27.405 and 28 MHz are not "hams", although a few of them may be hams operating illegally. Nearly everyone I hear there is speaking in Spanish. But if one has a ham license he can use the 10-meter band legally (28.3-28.5 MHz is the best place to listen/operate USB).

Old 07-08-2010, 02:47 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,188,332 times
Read an interesting "mailbag" entry on dcrtv.com - Mailbag this morning from a poster from Washington DC powerhouse WTOP. Even radio waves are acting crazy because of the heat.

"The following comes from a top WTOPer.....

Usually AM Radio has the signal problems (like during thunderstorms). But very hot humid weather distorts FM signals, sometimes causing far distant FM signals to replace the regular signal. It is called "tropospheric ducting" and this current heat wave is doing a number on some signals. Here's a guide prepared by WTOP Newsroom Technical Manager Brian Oliger to help newsroom staffers answer questions from curious or concerned listeners: We have had several reports of "popping", "fuzzy-sounding" audio and interference from other stations. Dave (Bonnevelle V.P. of Engineering Dave Garner)says because of the intense heat, our signal has been subject to highly unusual amounts of tropospheric ducting the past couple of days. (Dave was hearing distant FM stations interfering with 103.5 while he was on the top side of the Beltway, practically in the shadow of our tower.) Ducting, or the "bending" of FM and TV transmission signals, can occur during periods of unseasonably high heat and humidity, when the signal encounters warmer rather than cooler air in the atmosphere. You can find more info here: wikipedia.org. If we get calls from listeners complaining about the signal, I would just explain that the heat and humidity affect radio signals in unusual ways and this can result in poor reception. It usually doesn't last too long in any particular place." (7/8/10)

dcrtv.com - washington dc/baltimore area radio/tv/media

Old 07-09-2010, 06:18 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,120,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
Read an interesting "mailbag" entry on dcrtv.com - Mailbag this morning from a poster from Washington DC powerhouse WTOP. Even radio waves are acting crazy because of the heat.

"The following comes from a top WTOPer.....

Usually AM Radio has the signal problems (like during thunderstorms). But very hot humid weather distorts FM signals, sometimes causing far distant FM signals to replace the regular signal. It is called "tropospheric ducting" and this current heat wave is doing a number on some signals. Here's a guide prepared by WTOP Newsroom Technical Manager Brian Oliger to help newsroom staffers answer questions from curious or concerned listeners: We have had several reports of "popping", "fuzzy-sounding" audio and interference from other stations. Dave (Bonnevelle V.P. of Engineering Dave Garner)says because of the intense heat, our signal has been subject to highly unusual amounts of tropospheric ducting the past couple of days. (Dave was hearing distant FM stations interfering with 103.5 while he was on the top side of the Beltway, practically in the shadow of our tower.) Ducting, or the "bending" of FM and TV transmission signals, can occur during periods of unseasonably high heat and humidity, when the signal encounters warmer rather than cooler air in the atmosphere. You can find more info here: wikipedia.org. If we get calls from listeners complaining about the signal, I would just explain that the heat and humidity affect radio signals in unusual ways and this can result in poor reception. It usually doesn't last too long in any particular place." (7/8/10)

dcrtv.com - washington dc/baltimore area radio/tv/media
I don't know why listeners "complain" - it's fascinating! Take a break from listening to your favorite station and tune around!

About placing the radio on the ground...this may enhance AM radio reception during the day, because radio signals in that frequency range travel by ground during the day (and are bounced off the ionosphere at night). Another factor in daytime AM reception is ground conductivity. This varies from location to location. For example, here in Duluth I pick up stations in about a 130-mile radius from my car, but they are weak, even the 50-kilowatters, and too weak for comfortable listening if the motor's running. On the other hand, in the middle of the day in Southwestern Minnesota I was picking up relatively distant signals very well in the same car, because the ground conductivity is much higher. In Oklahoma City (and even Dallas as far as I know), for example, Denver is regularly received on the AM daytime dial, at least with a good radio...because the Great Plains have very conductive soil. Nothing like the conduction of salt water though (also called "open coax").

To think of it, I wonder if AM radio is dying because automakers don't care about the AM sections of their tuners nor noisy ignitions, because they assume nobody is listening anymore (interestingly, the FM sections are often rather lacking too).

Old 07-09-2010, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
To think of it, I wonder if AM radio is dying because automakers don't care about the AM sections of their tuners nor noisy ignitions, because they assume nobody is listening anymore (interestingly, the FM sections are often rather lacking too).
You're right concerning automotive AM radios. They're generally not nearly as good as they once were, and the rubber duck antennas they have nowadays don't help either, compared to the telescoping metal ones they used to have. Maybe they want us all to subscribe to satellite radio.

Old 08-20-2010, 08:55 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,170,272 times
Here in Southern California, at night depending on the weather, I can pick up Las Vegas, New Mexico, Utah, and Arizona

Old 08-20-2010, 11:59 AM

Try WBAP on 820 kHz in DFW. You'll probably be able to pick it up.

Old 10-20-2010, 06:54 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,566,236 times
I visited a friend of mine in Tucson this past weekend, and managed to pick up stations in San Antonio, Lexington KY, San Francisco & other faraway places (800+ miles away).

Old 10-20-2010, 11:54 PM

Good old WOAI 1200 in San Antonio and WHAS 840 in Louisville?

Old 10-27-2010, 05:30 PM

402 posts, read 1,528,159 times
From my house at night on am KFI and KNX out of LA, KNBR out of SanFran, KIRO from Seattle, KOA out of Denver, and KKOB out of New Mexico are always heard here in NE Nevada. I used to love going to my grandmother's as a child and my mom would pick up a AM country station out of Oklahoma City that played great old country music. Shortwave is getting difficult to pick up much anymore but I always hear Radio Havana and Radio China Intn (thought I think it gets broadcast out of Canada on a leased transmitter). I can pick up Radio Australia in the afternoons in the summer on the 22m band.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio