Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 04:57 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,770,071 times

Advertisements

Anyone hear of or have tapes of a radio show called Fresh Air that was broadcast in Northeast Ohio from Kent, Ohio from the middle 1970's to 1982? A free-form well segued progressive radio show that aired overnight that featured Ken Nordine, Eno , Magma, Fusion, Jazz, Gentle Giant, Steve Hillage, King Crimson, Gong, Egg, et al?

Here is a link to a site that has Fresh Air broadcasts posted.

http://xerographicoppossum.blogspot.com/

Last edited by newmex; 11-17-2008 at 05:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 05:08 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,192,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmex View Post
Anyone hear of or have tapes of this radio show that was broadcast in Northeast Ohio from Kent Ohio from the middle 1970's to 1982? A free-form well segued progressive radio show that aired overnight that featured Ken Nordine, Eno , Magma, Fusion, Jazz, Gentle Giant, Steve Hillage, King Crimson, Gong, Egg, et al?
Holy Crap! What a lineup. I lived and breathed WGTB (known to some as "we got the boogie") in WashingtonDC during the 70's. What fantastic radio

Old 11-18-2008, 09:17 PM

9 posts, read 28,004 times
Didn't WAMU in Washington DC run a similar program called "The Overnight Express"? Of course, WMAU totally decimated it's programming in later years, but it had a rich early history with Progressive music. WKSU even offered interviews and live concerts with quite a few artists. The project is called the Fresh Air Archives, put together from off-air recordings made overnight by listeners, and offered to share.

Old 11-19-2008, 06:10 PM

Default I often wondered...

If Fresh Air continued to this day...who would make the playlist? Who would be in the lineage of programming and what would be introduced..I'd have to ponder...

The only one close that I could think of would be Steve Wainstead back in the '80's.

His show, "Wainstead All Night", on WCSB 89.3 from Cleveland State U. kept me aloft during my night shift at a printing company in Medina. Party line conference call-ins, little or no dump button for language. Zappa, and plenty of it. Tube Bar (before Jerky Boys) and all kinds of mayhem...ended the show with Zappas "Watermelon in Easter Hay"

Check this out...for Mp3's on his shows

http://www.panix.com/~swain/inc.html

Last edited by newmex; 11-19-2008 at 06:35 PM..

Old 11-19-2008, 07:06 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,192,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Air Friend View Post
Didn't WAMU in Washington DC run a similar program called "The Overnight Express"? Of course, WMAU totally decimated it's programming in later years, but it had a rich early history with Progressive music ...
I remember the show Rock and Roll Jukebox with Old Howard that played progressive music on AMU. The show was also the beginning for Lee Michael Dempsey who survives at the station to this day.

Old 12-03-2008, 05:42 AM

There is still Progressive music and artists, but like so much music these days, you have to hunt for it. Even when you find a little of it being played, usually the "formatting" of the show, kills all the flavor. Today, certainly there would have been "lounge" "chill" and "trance" styles added to the mix. Fresh Air offered probably the first tastes of rap music with the recordings by the Last Poets. Of course, back then...1975 or 1976, the Last Poets were considered Jazz, but basically they were at the roots of rap, if not the founders of it. Regardless, what Fresh Air promised was a flow through many different styles of music, and if it was put together well, the on-air sound would be nearly seamless. This exposed the listeners to a lot of musical styles that they would normally not consider listening to. This is too complex for radio to broadcast anymore. Now, it is rare if a station plays more than 40-60 songs, let alone artists. Top 40 has made it into Classic Rock...I mean really, you would think that Jimi Hendrix only had 3 tunes "worth" listening to...or fill in your favorite artist...playlist radio has distilled the music to the point that all flavor has been completely removed.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:26 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,034,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Air Friend View Post
Fresh Air offered probably the first tastes of rap music with the recordings by the Last Poets. Of course, back then...1975 or 1976, the Last Poets were considered Jazz, but basically they were at the roots of rap, if not the founders of it. .playlist radio has distilled the music to the point that all flavor has been completely removed.
Yes.
I remember the first time I heard the Last Poets. And Gil Scott-Heron.
It was more like 1972-73.
I was blown away by White Man Got a God Complex, When the Revolution Comes, The Revolution Will Not Be Televised. Talk about consciousness-raising.
Thing is, their work still sounds fresh (and timely, and oh-so-appropriate) today.
I love mixes, but agree about playlist radio.
I miss those album side weekends, too...

Old 12-03-2008, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Yes.
I remember the first time I heard the Last Poets. And Gil Scott-Heron.
It was more like 1972-73.
I was blown away by White Man Got a God Complex, When the Revolution Comes, The Revolution Will Not Be Televised. Talk about consciousness-raising.
Thing is, their work still sounds fresh (and timely, and oh-so-appropriate) today.
I love mixes, but agree about playlist radio.
I miss those album side weekends, too...
It's on YouTube!!! powerful and timeless...speaks to all who suffer, regardless of color...relevant even more in 2009...watch and see.

YouTube - The Last Poets - When The Revolution Comes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1O7MW...eature=related

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...1:0ifrxqt5ldte

Last edited by newmex; 12-03-2008 at 05:04 PM..

Old 12-18-2008, 06:04 AM

Nice to know that the Poets are still known by a few, at least. They were way ahead of their time for the music and the message they delivered. Definately not easy to cozy up to! I wonder if they got a nod from the rappers for style points. From what I have heard of rap, the Poets' message was much more on target, but no one was listening at the time.

Old 03-06-2009, 01:35 PM

2 posts, read 6,597 times
Default Fresh Air Radio

Hey Everyone!!!

I am one of the DJ's at Fresh Air on WKSU!!!
I am still A-L-I-V-E!

Currently I am on KUSF-FM, San Francisco, Ca.
Community Radio, and we broadcast to all of the Bay Ares. I have created a site where you stream the shows-and I must say the Dream of Fresh Air (the radio progressive show) is still alive.

Check it Out!!!

Here's My Form letter:

Hello.
My name is Bryan Chandler, I'm a dj at KUSF 90.3 fm in San Francisco.
I*recently*created a new audio archive which streams many of the excellent and wide-ranging programs that we broadcast on KUSF. I record all the shows from the on-the-air FM broadcasts via a stereo tuner, and then I post the shows for listening anytime.
This is quite obviously a*labor of love that takes a lot of daily effort, so I really hope you'll*check out*some of the shows at your pleasure.*
Here is the website: KUSF On Air Radio Shows
The KUSF website is here: www.kusf.org.*
Thanks and best regards,
Bryan

P.S.

Here is a bonus Personal Blog of Music from WKSU-FM, Kent State University which hosted a Program called Fresh Air-Progressive Music (before NPR's Terry Gross Program) at 50,000 Watts Stereo in the 70's and 80's, of which I was the Music Director with a host of DJ's, and the style was freeform radio in Northeast Ohio. Some of these DJ's Now work for NPR as Producers and DJ's Nationally.

Air Modern
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio