Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 08:23 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,352,236 times

Advertisements

Our Lola crossed over the Rainbow Bridge yesterday morning. After valiantly struggling with FIV and nasal cancer, her time had come. Our vet said that she had long outlived her life span since she was probably FIV positive for most of her life.

Lola came to our home as a feral about 8 years ago. We think she was about 2 years old. She was so beautiful that at first we could not understand how she could be out on her own. However, she immediately bit, scratched, and hissed when we tried to approach her. Finally, when cold weather started, she came in the house, though unwillingly. She never really warmed up to any of us, but she was well taken care of and we think she appreciated having a home. For a stray cat, she had her idiosyncracies. She only ate in one spot and she only ate certain kinds of cat food. She would not eat table food. Every week she would change where she slept. Her general response to us was to hiss, especially if it was raining outside. We always laughed and said that her hissing was really an endearment. Some cats purr but she hissed. She liked to sleep out on the deck, but she made sure that she could see the door.

Even though she had been on her own for the first part of her life (someone had cared enough to have her spayed), we always felt that she was the most needy of any of our pets. She was definitely one of a kind.

We miss her and her odd likes and dislikes, and we hope that Simon greeted her at the Bridge, even though she didn't treat him any better than she treated us.

Last edited by SXMGirl; 11-07-2010 at 08:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 12:16 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
Thank you for giving her a good life. I know she appreciated it or she would not have stayed. She is happy and healthy now, running the great catnip fields of the sky.

Old 11-07-2010, 12:58 PM

1,457 posts, read 4,055,578 times
I'm so sorry for your loss. Lola was well loved by you and I'm sure she knew it.

Old 11-07-2010, 04:03 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,373,588 times
SXMgirl I'm sorry for you loss. Lola sounded like one of a kind!
I'm sure Simon is with her now and she's still hissing.

Old 11-07-2010, 04:07 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,397,185 times
Happy that you gave her a home.

We have a once feral cat who is now a housecat. She is affectionate, even asks to be picked up and held. But I caught her in a humane trap when she was less than a year old, in order to take her in for shots and a spay.

Still she is a bit of an oddball. Not sure how much of that is her personality and how much that she is a tamed cat, not a domesticated one.

Now there are some groups that spay and neuter strays because that works better than just killing breeding colonies of animals. That may be why your cat was already spayed. Groups like that snip off the tip of the left ear as a universal sign that the animal is not a breeder.

Old 11-07-2010, 04:09 PM

5,296 posts, read 7,237,341 times
Sounds like you had a neat relationship.
I bet she appreciated all you did.
HUGS

Old 11-07-2010, 04:17 PM

926 posts, read 2,748,074 times
Cats are amazing, my precious Paco (RIP) also had feline AIDS and cancer, and he too outlived his expectancy. If I know Paco, he is trying to get Lola's attention on the bridge ;-) May she RIP and I hope you find comfort in her memories.

Old 11-11-2010, 12:19 AM

2,807 posts, read 7,586,460 times
I'm so sorry for your loss...RIP Lola.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:19 PM

549 posts, read 2,205,918 times
My heart goes out to you, for your loss. You first act of compassion was giving Lola a real home, and giving her a good life....your last act of pure compassion was helping her cross that bridge. Trust me, I know how difficult that is, but it's an act of selflessness and love. May your pain be eased with knowing she's now forever happy, healthy and encompassed by pure love.

Old 11-14-2010, 06:10 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,539,616 times
Your message made me smile. Funny how they get us to serve as their help. But even the most persnickity of wealthy people have a soft spot for their staff. I know Lola loved you - in her own speical way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge