Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 03:28 AM

1,014 posts, read 1,564,609 times

Advertisements

sorry for your loss, think of the good ole times when he made you laugh. I am sure they are many
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 02:11 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,531,346 times
Default R.I.P. Shane

So sorry. No words can ease the loss, but time will dull the edges.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:24 AM

698 posts, read 2,841,370 times
Very sad to read about your loss, Tom. They bring such meaning and wonder to our lives and I hope that in time you may be able to remember only the happy times.

Old 05-20-2011, 12:55 PM

1,483 posts, read 3,161,761 times
Very very sorry for your loss. As so many others have already said, only a true animal lover and pet owner can understand and relate.
Sadly I am now faced with making the same decision. My Twirpy will have to be euthanized in the next couple of days. I know it's for the best but it's still so incredibly hard. Only one month ago she was still asking my hubby for her favorite snacks and playfully running around the apartment. And now the cancer that has decided to grow in her has already spread to her lungs.
At first the Vet treated her for Inflammatory Bowel Disease by putting her on a hypoallergenic diet and antibiotics. Instead of getting better she started to get worse. On the 9th of May she had an Ultrasound which showed enlarged Adrenal Glands and enlarged small intestine, as well as one kidney being larger than the other. All these things along with other symptoms (constant vomitting etc.) led the vet to believe she had Gastrointestinal Lymphoma. The only way to know for sure would be to undergow Exploratory surgery with Biopsies. The cost for this and Chemo would be well over $3000. But before I could even make that decision (finances were an issue because I would have to borrow from my daughter's college fund), her health has rapidly declined in just 11 days after the ultrasound. Vet is 99% certain that she does have cancer and actually told me that even with Surgery and Chemo she may only have anywhere from 2 months to a year max. So I opted to have a Chest X-Ray done and sure enough the cancer had spread to her lungs. One year ago Twirpy weighed close to 12 lbs. Now she is just under 6 lbs. She shows no interest in food and sleeps most of the day. She has a history of food allergies with bouts of vomitting hair balls and diarrhea. Over the years she had received treatment with food changes, antacids and antibiotics. They don't seem to know the connection between IBD and Lymphoma but many cats with IBD tend to develop Cancer. I don't know how I could have prevented it...I feel heartbroken and sad beyond belief. I've had Twirpy since she was 2 months old in October of 1996. She's a member of the family and I will miss her greatly. But I will have to let her go now.
I'll end here because I will start crying again. I just wanted you to know that I empathise and know what you have gone through.

Last edited by IlonaG; 05-20-2011 at 12:56 PM.. Reason: typo correction.

Old 05-20-2011, 01:05 PM

346 posts, read 498,212 times
So sorry for the loss of your beautiful Shane. Poor baby.

I lost my cat Mickey in September, and this is never, ever easy. They take a piece of our hearts with them when they go. I agree with the wise posters that say you did the kindest thing for him by letting him go.

Old 05-20-2011, 01:17 PM

346 posts, read 498,212 times
[SIZE=+1]And God asked the feline spirit
Are you ready to come home?
Oh, yes, quite so, replied the precious soul
And, as a cat, you know I am most able
To decide anything for myself.

Are you coming then? asked God.
Soon, replied the whiskered angel
But I must come slowly
For my human friends are troubled
For you see, they need me, quite certainly.

But don't they understand? asked God
That you'll never leave them?
That your souls are intertwined. For all eternity?
That nothing is created or destroyed?
It just is....forever and ever and ever.

Eventually they will understand,
Replied the glorious cat
For I will whisper into their hearts
That I am always with them
I just am....forever and ever and ever. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Author Unknown[/SIZE]

Old 05-23-2011, 11:42 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,183,065 times
IlonaG: Your post brought tears to my eyes. It reminds me of my dear Hobble, who I had to have euthanized due to a cancerous growth which kept coming back (five times). Give Twirpy my love. It is so unutterably sad to have to deal with this.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:09 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,161,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
IlonaG: Your post brought tears to my eyes. It reminds me of my dear Hobble, who I had to have euthanized due to a cancerous growth which kept coming back (five times). Give Twirpy my love. It is so unutterably sad to have to deal with this.
Thank you Catman. Only true animal lovers understand what we go through when this happens. I've had people tell me to just euthanize and why spend the time, money and stress on a cat that isn't going to live long anyway. Why? Because they are members of our families and are part of our lives on a day to day basis and we love them.
I'm so sorry about your Hobble
As of this writing - Twirpy is still hanging on. We've put her on Prednisolone and 'Palliative Care'. She's now at least eating 3 times a day. It's not huge quantities but she has put a few ounces back on. And it's given her a bit more energy. Every night she still asks my hubby for kitty snacks, except now he gives her small pieces of plain fresh turkey instead.
And she's been breathing a little heavier. So right now we are taking one day at a time. We will know when the time is right and for now she has not given up the fight. I'll keep you posted.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:48 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,470,411 times
What a handsome cat. You have my deepest sympathies.

Old 06-02-2011, 02:17 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,183,065 times
IlonaG: I am glad Twirpy is doing a little better, although the heavier breathing can't be a good sign. I am sure that you will know when it is time, when Twirpy's quality of life is too diminished.

Thank you for your condolences concerning Hobble. She was such a sweet cat! I've had to have another cat (Siggy) euthanized since then. It never gets any easier. Siggy's brother Willy is still going strong at 16.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge