Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 08:23 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,382,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
My beautiful boy died last Thursday; he was my Service Dog and we were an inseparable team for over 10 years. My heart is broken as is my DH's. He will be back home with us sometime this week. My DH has picked out a beautiful hand polished wooden box to hold his ashes. He will be on our mantle with his collar around the box.

Freedom had a silly flower pillow that he chose when we were in training to become a team and he will have his much loved flower with him forever.

Your post has me in tears. Cyber-hugs to you, from one animal lover to another.

I Loved You Best

So this is where we part, My Friend,
And you'll run on, around the bend.
Gone from sight, but not from mind,
new pleasures there you'll surely find.

I will go on; I'll find the strength,
Life measures quality, not its length.
One long embrace before you leave,
Share one last look, before I grieve.

There are others, that much is true,
But they be they, and they aren't you.
And I, fair, impartial, or so I thought,
Will remember well all you've taught.

Your place I'll hold, you will be missed,
The fur I stroked, the nose I kissed.
And as you journey to your final rest,
Take with you this...I loved you best.

-Jim Willis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 06:03 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,124,920 times
bassetluv~
Thank you for posting that beautiful poem.

Thank you to those who have replied to my post, it helps to know that there are people that understand the loss of a beloved member of the family.

Old 11-14-2013, 07:59 PM

412 posts, read 684,760 times
There is no right or wrong answer to how to care for your pet after they are gone. It is an individual decision and you make the best one for you depending on your situation. As long as you gave them love, food and shelter while they were with you - that is what is important.
Sorry to all those who have lost a pet recently. It's a tough thing to go through and not everyone understands the loss.

Old 11-15-2013, 02:18 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,872,955 times
Plan ahead. I was at my Vet yesterday and a guy came in asking if they could "put a dog down". They said yes and then proceeded to ask about options for the remains. He agreed to getting the ashes back and then asked for the cost. It was $99 for the euthanasia and $271 for the cremation and the return of the ashes. I did the same thing with two dogs on the same day a few yeas ago. He said he could not afford that and opted to leave the remains. Not sure how much that decision will bother him. My objection wasn't so much the cost but was told the dogs would be in my Vets freezer until the weekly pickup. I offered to drive them about 90 miles but was told they would just be stored there in a freezer until cremation day.

The next pup I planned ahead and found a local crematory and took my dog there. It was much cheaper also and I felt better. I now have 5 dogs ashes. At one point I had even though of the freeze drying process. My dogs ashes will be distributed in the same place that mine will be. I'm not sure if before or at the same time.

Old 12-28-2013, 07:15 PM

249 posts, read 354,724 times
I just picked up the ashes of my pup today. My husband made the decision to have him cremated though.

Old 12-28-2013, 07:24 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
I wouldn't keep the ashes, but I would cremate in the winter to bury the ashes in the spring after the ground thaws.

Old 12-29-2013, 09:43 AM

1,134 posts, read 2,238,432 times
When I had Bruno euthanized I was given 3 options, I could bring him home for burial, have him cremated and bring home his remains or have a communal cremation and scattering at sea. The fees were dependent on my choice, I think they ranged from about $90 to $200, I don't recall exactly. I didn't plan ahead although I knew it would be soon I just didn't expect it that day. Denial. He was my brother's dog more than mine but still a family member. We opted for the communal cremation and scattering at sea. Neither my brother nor I like the idea of ashes of deceased family members in our home, we didn't ask that our mother's be sent to us either and had hers scattered where she died as well. Just our preference.

I guess we're not sentimental, we don't have items that we hold on to in remembrance either. We have photos and talk about fond memories but have never held onto mementos so I guess that influenced our choice regarding their remains. My brother said he has Bruno in his heart and that's enough. I think for us that's about right. I'm sure other people feel differently and that's right for them too.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:19 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I bury my dead friends in the yard.
I bury my dead enemies in the yard. Oh wait, pet thread, never mind.

We always buried our pets in my parents' yard. My mother still lives in the same house, and I thought about driving up there and burying my cat there who died yesterday. But, she never lived there and had no attachment to the house and my mother is 85 so who knows how long she'll be there, either.

I'm in a condo with only a small fenced in area out back. There's a patio and a garden area. Winkie loved sitting out there in the warm weather. I decided to have her cremated and I'm going to get the ashes. I might put her out in the garden come Spring, I haven't decided yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge