Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 07:04 PM

49 posts, read 131,130 times

Advertisements

What is your personal take on the museum of natural sciences? We are in Durham, have family coming in with 13 and 14 year old girl and boy..is it worth the trip to Raleigh? I know , it's not far but just haven't been there and wanted an opinion.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 07:21 PM

305 posts, read 768,243 times
Well, it's free, so that's a big plus, unless you pay for the "special exhibit" (which is not always that special, but is a fundraiser for the museum). Their focus, of course, is the natural sciences of North Carolina, so they have big sections on the Coastal Plain, the Piedmont, and the Mountains. They have the flora and fauna and fossils of NC.

IMO, it's pretty okay. I took my 6yr old and 9 yr old not too long ago and they enjoyed it until the 6 yr old started realizing that all the animals in the exhibits were taxidermied and "not alive anymore". I think if you had a dinosaur hound in your crowd he or she might really enjoy some of the big dino bone exhibits.

For my family, I much prefer the NCMLS in Durham where the animals are alive. I think it's a great family museum and there's definitely stuff for a 13 & 14 yr old to do there if they haven't been before, but I think the absolute ideal age for NCMLS is about 9. Younger kids enjoy it a lot, but they can't manipulate or understand all the exhibits. A 9 year old is still young enough to be wowed by them. Depending on your 13 yr old and your 14 yr old they might find it really cool or be wishing they were at the mall instead. Those are hard ages.

If they're by any chance UNC fans they might like the Carolina Basketball Museum (http://tarheelblue.cstv.com/museum/ - broken link). You kinda have to be a rabid fan to enjoy it, though.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:31 PM

746 posts, read 2,248,112 times
I really like it - and I also like the history museum (also free) across the street. There's lots to do downtown, all walking distance from the museums. IMO I'd do it. It also depends on the temperament of the kids and what they are used to - if they go to the smithsonian on a regular basis, for example, this will be small potatoes and boring as snot for them. If, on the other hand, they don't go to many museums, this may be just their speed. It's open, there are lots of floors and places to hide and seek and alcoves and whatnot - and the butterfly room is really neat regardless of age.

JMO Enjoy!

Old 06-10-2010, 08:43 PM

161 posts, read 581,512 times
I'm not a big fan of museums but I did enjoy the Natural Science museum. It's easy just to walk through and look at the exhibits. You don't need to stop and read stuff if you don't want to.

As for the History museum, it just wasn't for me. I really don't like history but if the folks you're with do, it may be worth the time.

Best part is, the museums are free!

Also the Capital is close too and you can tour it -- that I did enjoy.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:48 PM

365 posts, read 1,208,620 times
I really liked the NCMNS the first couple of times we visited, but it wasn't until we visited the Naturalist Center that I fell in love with the place. That room is amazing. There are so many fossils, rocks, minerals, drawers of taxidermied birds that you can hold (which might sound weird to some, but it's kind of amazing), all sorts of skeletons and neat (sometimes icky) things in jars, lots of learning experiences. I think every time we go now, we spend more time in that room than in the rest of the museum combined. It is such a treasure.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:50 PM

49 posts, read 131,130 times
Thank you everyone for your opinions! This really helps!

Old 06-10-2010, 10:29 PM

1,106 posts, read 3,534,136 times
If you are in Durham, why aren't you going to the museum off of Murray St.? It is easier to get to and gives you a good time out without having to drive out to Raliegh.

Old 06-11-2010, 04:54 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,603,867 times
I agree with the others, definitely take them to Durham Museum of Life Sciences! Maybe you already have though? It's pretty great - nice animal enclosures, a walk-through butterfly garden, a tornado machine, spaceman outfits.

Old 06-11-2010, 07:44 AM

311 posts, read 888,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike052082 View Post
If you are in Durham, why aren't you going to the museum off of Murray St.? It is easier to get to and gives you a good time out without having to drive out to Raliegh.
We recently visited and while it was a nice outing, it was very expensive - $12.50 adults, and $9.50 (3-12 year olds). Although you have to drive to Raleigh, you can park for free and visit for free, can't beat that!

Old 06-11-2010, 08:12 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,110,414 times
The Durham museum is more fun, but the Raleigh one is free and entertaining for a couple of hours if you've never been. There is also the NC history museum for free right across from the science museum if you want to make a day out of it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary