Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 07:46 PM

70 posts, read 327,637 times

Advertisements

https://carolinagrown.org/index.php

We were subscribers to *a similar fresh foods delivery service* before we moved (locally) and liked them a lot, but according to their website, Carolina Grown seems to offer more organic choices, it's all from NC whereas the other service was not, and it seems cheaper overall as compared to the other service. Before I jump in though, I just want to see if anybody knows anything about them? I just sent them an email with a few questions. It seems like maybe they are just starting out???

Any information is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 07:59 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,151,004 times
I've never heard of them, so I looked them up in the NC Corporation Registry, and they just formed as a company in October 2009. So yes, they are new. It is possible that whoever created the company ran a regular CSA before, but I don't know.

I'm not sure which company you used before, but two similar companies in the area are Papa Spuds Papa Spud's and The Produce Box The Produce Boxâ„¢ . Papa Spuds is not exclusively local. The Produce Box is, but does not have quite the range of products. I know several people affiliated with the Produce Box and they are a good group. They use local folks for delivery so you are dealing with a neighbor.

There also are quite a few CSAs locally. We've used Brinkley Farms and they were great. Brinkley Farms CSA, Community Supported Agriculture I know several folks who have used Hilltop Farms. HilltopFarms.org - Sustainable Membership Farm - Willow Springs, NC You can find more here: Carolina Farm Stewardship Association

Old 02-09-2010, 07:57 AM

The President of Carolina Grown actually emailed me back right away. He said (to quote part of his email message to me)

"This is our second year in business and we currently work with Rainbow Meadows Farm, S&W Meats, C&C Produce, West Produce, Homestead Harvest farm, Timberland Organics, Coon Rock Farm, and more in the spring when once they start producing again."

I'm still interested to see if anyone has used their service. I think we might try it since there are no contracts involved and we could cancel at any time if it turned out to not be something we wanted to continue.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:56 AM

2 posts, read 8,620 times
Default Carolina Grown

I had the same concerns about Carolina Grown because they're such a new company and there seems to be so little information about them - also their website could use a little help with proofreading. I did the same as you and emailed the organization. I received a reply promptly and decided to take the leap.

I couldn't be happier. Seriously.

I just moved to NC from the West Coast and haven't had any luck with CSAs or farmer's markets in the Fayetteville area. I just received my first order from Carolina Grown last Saturday and it was great. I subscribed to their "small" weekly box and for $25 received 1 1/2 pounds chicken thighs, 1 pound of hot italian sausage links, 1 lb. cross-cut pork shank, a dozen of some of the biggest chicken eggs I've ever seen, and 1 pound of sweet potatoes. And it was all delivered to my front door in a cooler.

Again, the only faults I see so far is that they really need to work on their website. There's a bunch of typos and the payment process isn't Verisign certified - key indicators of a less than reputable website. But, I'm going to chalk it up to them being a new, very small organization.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I'm all about promoting local farmers and this seems to be an excellent way of doing so.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:51 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,092,226 times
I am thinking I might have to make the leap, too. I looked up all the places mentioned in this thread but none of them seemed to offer milk--there is nothing I'd rather have delivered is fresh, locally produced milk for my kids. Is there any other service that has this option?

Old 02-24-2010, 08:40 AM

2 posts, read 8,620 times
Default Dairy

To the best of my knowledge Carolina Grown is actually partnered with a local dairy farm. They offered 1/2 gallons of whole milk in the beginning of the week, but like the first organic strawberries of the season their entire supply was ordered within the first day (the ordering window is Sunday through Tuesday for delivery on Saturday). I just checked the menu for this week, though, and they're still offering 1 lb. portions of salted or unsalted butter.

EDITED to add: Just double checked the CG website and the dairy products are through Maple View Farm.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 02-24-2010 at 12:01 PM.. Reason: No links from new members

Old 02-24-2010, 09:33 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,092,226 times
Thanks!!! We buy Maple View Farm milk at the grocery store and I would LOVE to have it delivered to me. It's awesome

Old 02-24-2010, 11:29 AM

1,277 posts, read 3,549,429 times
The enrollment form offers a 'referral number'. Anyone know what that is? If you want to PM me, I'd be happy to enter it since I heard about 'carolina grown' right here.

I love the fact they do chicken and other meats as well as produce so I am going to give it a try.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:40 AM

100 posts, read 295,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalkerzmom View Post
https://carolinagrown.org/index.php

We were subscribers to *a similar fresh foods delivery service* before we moved (locally) and liked them a lot, but according to their website, Carolina Grown seems to offer more organic choices, it's all from NC whereas the other service was not, and it seems cheaper overall as compared to the other service. Before I jump in though, I just want to see if anybody knows anything about them? I just sent them an email with a few questions. It seems like maybe they are just starting out???

Any information is appreciated.
Local does not mean organic, and organic is very important when buying vegetables. Organic is certainly not cheap, however it is better tasting than non organic.

I would look for the place that always had the freshest and most diverse organic vegetables (might be whole foods).

I have a different perspective since I am a vegetarian, and vegetables are all I eat.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:28 AM

still considering this...anybody else tried it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary