Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2010, 01:31 PM

27 posts, read 38,164 times

Advertisements

Looking into moving to the area and I have stumbled upon information regarding this area. This is close to the prospective new job and seems like it is an area with older homes with character that we are looking for. How are the public schools in this area- the kids are 6, 9 and 12 so I am interested in all of the schools! Are there a lot of children in this area or is it primarily college kids?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 05:58 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,104,547 times
OWD is one of Durham's gems, IMO. Most of the neighborhood is zoned to E.K Powe ES, Brogden MS and Riverside HS...all of which are well regarded public schools. I know there are some families with kids in the area, and overall it's got a pretty good mix of folks. It is certainly not all college kids, but you'll find some scattered about OWD, too.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:53 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,758,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
OWD is one of Durham's gems, IMO. Most of the neighborhood is zoned to E.K Powe ES, Brogden MS and Riverside HS...all of which are well regarded public schools. I know there are some families with kids in the area, and overall it's got a pretty good mix of folks. It is certainly not all college kids, but you'll find some scattered about OWD, too.
mdq_az is right on. Don't base your decision on Powe's scores. The middle class kids that go there do very well. And the school has a very active PTA. There are a lot of dedicated involved families in that neighborhood and school.
check out Strong Durham Schools

Old 06-21-2010, 07:15 AM

Thanks so much! It seems like people are really proud of their community in that area- which is amazing. My current neighborhood is just people living by eachother...we are looking for a bit more than that! I did notice that Powe doesn't have the greatest test scores- but again, I agree with you....its less about the test scores and more about the time with their students. If I am correct Powe is a traditional school vs. year round. I read something about a lottery for year round school- what does this really mean. I understand a lottery, but what is the likelyhood to get into year round if you are interested? THANKS!!

Old 06-28-2010, 08:18 AM

Does anyone know a company that rents older homes in this area? We are looking for a home with charm in this area and don't know where to start looking!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary