Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 08:48 PM

98 posts, read 178,952 times

Advertisements

We are GOING TO BE MOVING TO NC - YIPPEE SKIPPEE!!! - and want to know how AT&T's coverage is in Wake and Johnston counties. I've been a BlackBerry/Verizon customer for years and am looking to switch to iPhone/ATT before we move TO NC. Even though I've looked at coverage maps, I would prefer to hear from the folks in NC.

Thank you for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 09:02 PM

242 posts, read 1,213,530 times
I believe your most reliable cell coverage overall in the area is going to be if you remain with Verizon

Old 07-06-2010, 09:46 PM

51 posts, read 121,387 times
I have an iphone and live in Clayton (Johnston County). To tell you the truth, service is quite spotty in many areas for me. My phone drops calls on several roads near our home, and I often get no reception in my neighborhood. Service inside our house is spotty as well. I still love my iphone though!

Old 07-06-2010, 09:52 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,308,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy64 View Post
I believe your most reliable cell coverage overall in the area is going to be if you remain with Verizon
I believe this to be true as well. We've had Verizon for years, and haven't had a problem.

Rumor has it that Verizon will start carrying the iPhone (maybe by January?), so you might not have to wait long. They also have some Android phones. My husband has the Incredible, and has been very happy with it.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:22 PM

5 posts, read 20,467 times
I live in Cary and AT&T does not work in my neighborhood. The only cell company that I hear coverage complaints about is AT&T

Old 07-06-2010, 11:33 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,866,360 times
Ditto all of the above. I'm in North Raleigh and have AT&T. My calls get dropped regularly. It's weird. I can drop a call indoors just by moving a few feet. A couple weeks ago I was trying to call my husband (he has AT&T service). We were both outside (I was at Crabtree and he was at the airport) and the calls dropped at least fourteen times.

Sometimes, I feel like I should be walking around with metal utensils in my pockets. ;-)

Last edited by mjd07; 07-06-2010 at 11:33 PM.. Reason: Clarification

Old 07-07-2010, 06:54 AM

Well, maybe I won't switch to ATT. The issue with the proposed Verizon iPhone is the OS/platform is different than say ATT or Sprint. Kind of like beta vs. VHS was. And there is still question as to whether the Verizon iPhone will ever materialize.

Mz. Scarlett - a few questions for you since Clayton may be where we end up:
how many issues do you have with the coverage; have you ever had verizon; would you get rid of your iPhone and go to another carrier to get better service?

Thank you for all the input! I greatly appreciate it!

Old 07-07-2010, 06:59 AM

49 posts, read 251,981 times
Buy a DROID and stick with Verizon. If you wait another week or two you can get the DROID X. We've been with Verizon for years and have been happy the entire time and we live in a "remote corner" of Wake County (Fuquay). We pretty consistently hear complaints from friends who have AT&T.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacaroniDuck View Post
Buy a DROID and stick with Verizon. If you wait another week or two you can get the DROID X. We've been with Verizon for years and have been happy the entire time and we live in a "remote corner" of Wake County (Fuquay). We pretty consistently hear complaints from friends who have AT&T.
Are you using a Droid currently? I need to get over to the store. I need the phone to be able to sync with Outlook and I don't know if it does that without a lot of monkeying around with downloads. Any input is helpful.

Thank you!

Old 07-07-2010, 07:18 AM

51 posts, read 121,387 times
I have issues pretty much daily with the ATT coverage/reception in JoCo and also in Southern Wake on some of the backroads. There have been a few times where I really needed to make a call and haven't been able to, but usually within 5 minutes I can get reception again. I've also had calls dropped/not go through while on the 70 Bypass, which is a major road. Usually reception is good on the major roads though. I just got used to not making calls when driving in certain areas. If I needed the phone for business, I probably would not stick with the iphone. However, it is for personal use, and I really *HEART* my iphone and all of the various features, so I have no plans to get rid of it. I used to have Verizon, but that was in VA, so I can't comment on Verizon in JoCo. Sounds like that might be a safer bet, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary