Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 06:13 PM

645 posts, read 1,503,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleNC View Post
I'd like to do something like that. We're on an acre, mostly grass. I want to cut down on mow time. We already have a couple areas like that and would like to do even more. We'd like to continue it in an affordable way. Also, the two areas we already have like this grow lots of weeds and it's a hassle. They were already here when we moved here last year, so if we did more on our own, we would make sure we put that weed screening or whatever it is down first. Do those work well, even years later?

Round up on the pine straw or really underneath it before you refresh it every spring. Keep a thick amont of the pine and not many weeds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 06:29 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,342,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt chill View Post
Round up on the pine straw or really underneath it before you refresh it every spring. Keep a thick amont of the pine and not many weeds.
We did mulch. Is pine straw better?

Old 09-19-2010, 06:42 PM

835 posts, read 2,877,345 times
Quote:
We took out all the grass on one side of the house today, nice azalas, a few dogwoods, monkey grass and pine straw looks like a million bucks, screw grass.
I'm with ya! We have been putting in mulch beds with some shrubs, etc. What will eventually be left is just curbside grass and a really small section of grass in the front lawn. We just killed off, hopefully anyway, the grubs. We would like to airate and put down Zoysia seed when the weather cools off. Trouble is we can't find it anywhere. Checked Home Depot, Lowes, and Ace. Ace says Zoysia is usually put down in the spring. Is that true?

Old 09-19-2010, 08:51 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,953,179 times
My understanding is that Zoysia is fairly difficult to grow from seed, so most people buy plugs or sod. Plugs are cheaper, of course, but take longer to spread into a passable lawn. But if this third try with fescue doesn't work, that's probably what I'll try next year.

Old 09-19-2010, 10:23 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,443,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinalkulp View Post
I'm with ya! We have been putting in mulch beds with some shrubs, etc. What will eventually be left is just curbside grass and a really small section of grass in the front lawn. We just killed off, hopefully anyway, the grubs. We would like to airate and put down Zoysia seed when the weather cools off. Trouble is we can't find it anywhere. Checked Home Depot, Lowes, and Ace. Ace says Zoysia is usually put down in the spring. Is that true?
Zoysia is warm season, yes planted in the spring. Incredibly difficult for the average homeowner to grow from seed.

Old 09-20-2010, 04:36 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,102,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinalkulp View Post
We would like to airate and put down Zoysia seed when the weather cools off. Trouble is we can't find it anywhere. Checked Home Depot, Lowes, and Ace. Ace says Zoysia is usually put down in the spring. Is that true?
You can get Zoysia here... Seedland.com: Zoysia Grass

If you follow the instructions TO THE LETTER then you will have success with the seed.

I can't emphasize enough the importance of being knowledgable when starting Zoysia from seed. Read ALL of this... Zoysia Grass Seeds|Zoysia Grass Plugs|Types of Zoysia Grass|Zoysias.com

Irrigation is required!

Old 09-20-2010, 06:18 PM

116 posts, read 366,787 times
Plugging zoysia is the common (cheap) way to grow zoysia. However, it can take 1 to 2 years for your yard to grow in.

Sodding is immediate. (but more expensive).

As for when, the spring time is the best. Around here you can sod/plug in late summer (ie, early September) since our falls are so warm. They normally suggest 6 to 8 weeks of growth before the grass goes dormant. Around here, the grass typically goes dormant around late Nov or early Dec.

A couple of weeks ago I plugged my front yard with zoysia using the this plugger (Lawn repair/Renovation, Organic weed control, Zoysia plugs, transplant Grass). It is a nice plugger that makes plugging much easier (it still was difficult...). Hopefully the plugs can get established before they go dormant for the winter.

Old 09-20-2010, 06:25 PM

645 posts, read 1,503,352 times
Neighbors zoysia looks great he also has spent a whole lotta cash on water. everyday his irrigation system is dumping 100s of gallons of water on the lawn. wasteful in my eyes and now with drought again, well in my eyes irresponsible and selfish.

Old 09-20-2010, 06:53 PM

2 posts, read 3,047 times
I posted this in another thread on grass. I am partial to medium blade bermuda. It grows so easily and looks the best of all the grasses.

These are pictures of my bermuda grass if you want to consider it. I seeded with three different varieties one month apart. This is after the first year. I use a regular mower like everyone else and I don't have any brown scalping. I like the look of this over any other grass. It is dark green and medium course. I don't like the fine blades of the sodded varieties. I only water during periods of extreme dryness. It is very cushy under the feet. It forms a dense sod.

Attachment 68525

Attachment 68526

Old 09-20-2010, 09:10 PM

49 posts, read 146,783 times
Quote:
Neighbors zoysia looks great he also has spent a whole lotta cash on water. everyday his irrigation system is dumping 100s of gallons of water on the lawn. wasteful in my eyes and now with drought again, well in my eyes irresponsible and selfish.
It's kind of a no win scenario. When we all conserve, the city takes in less money on water so they then raise the rates. We end up paying more for less. When we don't conserve, and the rains dwindle, we start dwindling our water supply which isn't good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary