Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 05:47 AM

488 posts, read 1,555,070 times

Advertisements

I think Heritage is a very health focused neighborhood. We have several cycling and running groups and we have a triathlon every June and a couple 5 Ks every year that many residents participate in. Obviously we have a golf course, tennis facilities and 2 swimming pools. We have the Factory right in the neighborhood that has a YMCA in it as well as 2 indoor ice skating rinks (adult as well as youth hockey leagues), indoor soccer (next level academy year round soccer) and lacrosse tech all have programs in the Factory. There is also a gymnastics studio, batting cages, indoor and outdoor skateboarding facilities and karate studio. We also have the Smith Creek soccer complex which is one of the CASL facilies for both adult and youth soccer and then a pretty extensive green way trail system. If you drive through Heritage at any given time you will see runners, cyclist and walkers everywhere. The Kerr YMCA is also just a couple miles outside of Heritage and then you have easy access (2 miles) to Falls River for Kayaking, mountain biking, hiking, trail running boating, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 01:18 PM

1,310 posts, read 2,940,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
...but in Cary I think health and physical fitness is a high priority.
I drink nothing but the finest brewed beer and live in Cary. I think it's a fine community.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:42 PM

502 posts, read 1,251,951 times
I think that you will find that in general, the Triangle is fairly progressive in terms of being health-conscience.

We have many farmer's markets, CSA's, Whole Foods and Trader Joes. There are also many physicians who incorporate holistic/alternative/integrative medicine into their practices.

When we first moved here my wife lovingly teased me about my "Northern pudge" that I had gradually accumulated during her pregnancies and could no longer hide under sweaters and winter coats.

Not wanting to be that "fat guy" in the neighborhood and at work was all the motivation I needed. I have been back to my freshman weight for several years now.

With the exception of days like today (~100 out), one can spend most of the year outdoors being active. We enjoy hiking, biking, kayaking, and many other sports.

That's not to say that there are not overweight folks out-and-about, but at least it is no longer me!

Old 07-22-2010, 02:23 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyneiman View Post
Which areas are known to have the most health-conscience residents?
There is no way to give an answer like that--it's not like people say "OK, take this fitness test, and we will tell you what n'hood to move to." A wide variety of people of all stripes live in the Triangle, and they don't cluster by fitness interest, to my knowledge.

And, why shoudl it matter, actually? even if you were the only one in your area with a particular level of fitness mentality, do your thing whether they are doing the same thing, or not. in fact, it's a very "active" area and most people belong to some kind of gym, go walking or biking, etc, ALL over the Triangle.

Yes, that's a unique question for this forum.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:16 PM

475 posts, read 1,305,136 times
Anything between the square of lead mine, sawmill, creedmoor, and strickland roads in N. Raleigh. Everyday dozens of people can be spotted walking, jogging, or biking in the area. Lots of people also walk to the shopping centers and restaurants around there. This area is also close to the new whole foods that is going up in N. Raleigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary