Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 08:14 AM

892 posts, read 3,161,897 times

Advertisements

Pet sitters are great but there are some instances where boarding is necessary. Been narrowing down my own search and now have two more to tour, thanks! Anyone familiar with Brier Creek Pet Hotel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 08:22 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,603,867 times
I would love to have a pet sitter come in, but my dog can be really destructive, so she needs to be crated when I'm not there. So, it would be really mean to make her stay in a crate except for the few daily walks and feedings

I tried a pet gate once and she jumped over it.

When I board her at my vet she's in an indoor/outdoor run and can play with other dogs through the fence...there are always lots of people talking to her as well, so she had a great time. I also pay for individual playtimes. But sometimes they're booked.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:24 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Pet sitting is the ideal situation, of course, but while a cat can have a sitter once a day, with dogs, they need to go out 4x a day (morning, lunchtime, suppertime, bedtime) or at LEAST 3x, so that would be get very expensive paying per visit.

We use Durant Rd Vet/Kennel to board our two. They offer large size pens where the two dogs can be together in the same one, and they don't do "pack" walks. Also, it's nice to know that there's a vet's office right there if something happened.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:37 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,091,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Isn't all this discussaion about dogs getting sick at day care a good reason for a in-home pet sitter? It seems like the animal would be happier and safer if you use a bonded and insured sitter.

We went on vacation and since my husband would not let me take our dog with us this year, I had a combination of son staying here for morning and night time walk and used neighbor for evening -when son was still at work- for 4 p.m. walk. A Local sitter charged $17 per 20 minute walk and play session.

I'm scared to take my dog to board. I just don't know how they are treated and about health of other dogs.
GREAT idea......IF you can find a pet sitter!! We wanted to do this for our 2 dogs instead of taking them to a kennel, but everyone was booked! So we are driving 35 min out of our way to drop them at Suite Paws in Raleigh which was recommended by a friend and I toured it and it's amazing. They even have pools for the dogs to play in. Fortunately I have 2 dogs who are littermates and keep each other company so that helps.

I was going to suggest Brier Creek Pet Hotel since it's right off of 40 near the airport and close to Durham--you can have your dog away from other dogs and also pay for extra walks, treats, etc. But my male dog, who can get a little ornery, got to the point where he was REALLY resistant to going, so I know he wasn't happy there.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:10 AM

234 posts, read 822,903 times
+1

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieF View Post
I used to bring my dog to Armadale on Strickland Rd. and they were wonderful. They can get individual attention. It is also a vet.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:12 AM

214 posts, read 1,002,461 times
Hands down the best boarding facility in the Triangle that I have used, and I've used a few, is Companion Camp in Pittsboro. The owners live on-site and are true animal lovers, and I trust them implicitly with my dog's care.

The dog's get to go on two 1-mile hikes a day, and you can request your dog get play time in the dog yard without any other dogs.

Welcome to Companion Camp

Old 07-26-2010, 10:46 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,603,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryGal View Post
Hands down the best boarding facility in the Triangle that I have used, and I've used a few, is Companion Camp in Pittsboro. The owners live on-site and are true animal lovers, and I trust them implicitly with my dog's care.

The dog's get to go on two 1-mile hikes a day, and you can request your dog get play time in the dog yard without any other dogs.

Welcome to Companion Camp
Hikes! My dog would LOVE that. Thanks!

Old 07-26-2010, 12:43 PM

214 posts, read 1,002,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
Hikes! My dog would LOVE that. Thanks!
You're very welcome! The owners are just really wonderful people, and my dog gets so much spoiling and attention when he goes, and comes home a happy tired out pup, that I don't ever worry about him when he is there.

They are also really good about you calling or e-mailing to check on your dog while you are away. If you end up going with them, just tell them Big Red's mom sent you!

Old 07-26-2010, 03:29 PM

11 posts, read 15,906 times
Question Re: Dog boarding in the triangle

All the posts have been helping me, also! It is really important for me to have a place I can take my small dog when I have to leave town. We had been using the vet's office, but I was horrified to read a couple of reviews. The last couple of times I have left him, he has not wanted to go, and that was unusual for him. He used to love to go when they offered day care and play. Pittsboro is a bit far for me to go...I would appreciate any Durham, Raleigh-Creedmoor Rd or Wake Forest area suggestions. Thanks in advance!

Old 07-27-2010, 02:29 PM

892 posts, read 3,161,897 times
Pittsboro is too far for us too but after calling around today and discovering how many places toss dogs in kennels and forget about them, mile long hikes sound swell. This is a depressing task.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary