Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 07:15 PM

10 posts, read 51,483 times

Advertisements

We are new to Raleigh/Cary and have the following question. My wife's employer-based health care charges $600 per month for coverage for us (a young family of four). They said that this is a reasonable (affordable) monthly premium for this area. But we are frankly astonished by the cost of this premium. We are moving from Pittsburgh, PA and we had until recently there monthly premiums with good coverage for a family of 4 at around $340-400 at most. Are there any good, affordable coverages for a family like ours that cost less than $600 per month in the Raleigh area? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 08:00 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
I doubt it.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:48 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,573,449 times
I'd be stunned if you did find a credible policy at a lower price but if you do please be sure to share the details. Even when my employer paid for part of my plan it still cost me nearly $600 per month. Currently I'm paying just over $1k per month while carrying my own coverage.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:59 AM

406 posts, read 787,506 times
I wish I could help you...my premium is unaffordable too.

People considering relocating should add health insurance to the list of things that are potentially more expensive here. (I know it's less that NY & NJ)

Old 07-27-2010, 10:06 AM

1,361 posts, read 2,271,468 times
We just moved from Texas to NC. BCBS Anthem (those evil people out of CA) was who his previous employer used and it was about $250 a month. The employer before used BCBS Texas and it was about the same. Here his company uses BCBS NC same coverage as before $500 a month. That's our part not the employer part. His company paid us what they would put toward coverage during the 60 day waiting period (didn't have one of those with the other BCBS companies) and it was about $500 a month making the coverage $1000 monthly. Says alot about what NOT allowing insurance companies to provide coverage to more than one state causes in prices to the consumer. I find it interesting that BCBS has a much higher premium for it's NC "branch" or whatever they call it to meet federal guidelines.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:19 AM

1,877 posts, read 5,341,299 times
[quote=wjsluvskaz;15216454]I wish I could help you...my premium is unaffordable too.

Yep, same here. I haven't had health insurance for over three years now. It was $205 a month just for myself when I had BCBS four years ago. Then the rate went to $230, so I dropped it. I would hate to see how much it would be now!

Old 07-27-2010, 01:23 PM

797 posts, read 3,579,090 times
Well my boss pays 80% of mine alone and I end up paying $100 a month, so clearly my rate is normally $500 a month. To add my wife is $600 a month (yes more than me b/c she is female), and to add my daughter is also $500. Thus, its $1,100 a month to add both my wife and daughter to my plan, or in total, its $1,600 a month for us 3 for health insurance if I was to pay it. That said, your $600 a month is a GREAT RATE, and you need to be ecstatic you have a rate that good.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:49 PM

932 posts, read 3,096,607 times
I agree that $600/month is a good deal for a family of 4. That's right around what we pay, down from closer to $900. Thank goodness my husband's business went corporate...much better benefits.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:11 PM

531 posts, read 1,982,249 times
Just out of curiosity, I input a young family of four (age 32 parents, two adorable kiddies ages 5 and 7) into the BCBS rate engine. If you were willing to accept something other than "first dollar" coverage--that is, to leave the world of copays behind--you could protect your family from catastrophic health losses for 266.64 per month. You would receive the "negotiated" rate for medical services which is usually one-half to one-third what the uninsured pay. You would have a 10K deductible, which essentially means that you will pay out-of-pocket for your healthcare, except if, god forbid, one of you gets cancer or some other major problem. That's when the insurance would kick in.

I view medical insurance as a form of bankruptcy protection. This is feasible because I am in average health. Those who have serious health problems which require frequent doctoring....well, there's not much help for them, I'm sorry to say.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:04 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,866,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat1of2 View Post
Just out of curiosity, I input a young family of four (age 32 parents, two adorable kiddies ages 5 and 7) into the BCBS rate engine. If you were willing to accept something other than "first dollar" coverage--that is, to leave the world of copays behind--you could protect your family from catastrophic health losses for 266.64 per month. You would receive the "negotiated" rate for medical services which is usually one-half to one-third what the uninsured pay. You would have a 10K deductible, which essentially means that you will pay out-of-pocket for your healthcare, except if, god forbid, one of you gets cancer or some other major problem. That's when the insurance would kick in.

I view medical insurance as a form of bankruptcy protection. This is feasible because I am in average health. Those who have serious health problems which require frequent doctoring....well, there's not much help for them, I'm sorry to say.
Hate to burst that healthy dose of optimism bubble of yours...unless they've never so much as reported a sneeze to their health care provider, and both parents are male, the chances of getting a family covered for that amt by BCBS are slim. They might, but if so, would likely be one of 5 families in the state who won the BCBS lottery!

Women cost more to insure. She is of child bearing age...I can hear BCBS rubbing their hands together right now

Seriously, the on line rate is a guide. You have to go thru review and they confirm the final rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary