Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 07:52 AM

276 posts, read 648,747 times

Advertisements

I'm going out of town for work for 3 weeks, and this Saturday is going to be the last day I have with my husband. We are newly weds, so this is a pretty major event that we are going to be separated for so long!

I want us to spend Saturday doing fun stuff, to enjoy our last day together. I've been looking around trying to figure out something to do. I figured I would ask for suggestions from the brilliant people of City Forums! You guys always know neat things and have great suggestions of things I wouldn't have thought of on my own.

So, help me plan our day! Some general guidelines:
- We live in Durham, so prefer things either in Durham, or less than an hour drive.
- We like to eat! We like nice food and wine.
- Not super expensive
- Outdoorsy stuff is fun, but with the awful heat lately maybe limit the time outside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 08:13 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,104,547 times
Even with the hot weather, you can enjoy being outside in the morning...especially if you're in the shade. So...

Breakfast in bed
Morning hike at Eno River State Park (& swim in river) or Duke Forest
Lunch at Parker & Otis; Gelato for dessert at Amelia Cafe
Afternoon "siesta"
Dinner at Piedmont
Coffee & dessert at Beyu Cafe

Old 07-28-2010, 08:26 AM

1,040 posts, read 3,602,741 times
I posted this in another thread, but this might be perfect for you two:

Kayak Adventures -> kayak adventures Homepage

SAT.-JULY 31-9:30AM-12:30PM, HAW RIVER PICNIC PADDLE, paddle above the Bynum dam from 15-501 upriver to a nice sandy lunch spot where we can get in the water, enjoy our lunch and inspect the lovely rocks or turn over rocks in the water and find macroinvertibrartes.

As for food, have you tried:

Places I have been and would highly recommend:
Rue Cler
Dos Perros
Piedmont (mentioned below)
Pops
Piazza Italia
Watts Grocery
Vin Rouge
Nana's Restaurant
Chamas Churrascaria
Revolution
Magnolia

My mouth is watering now... Thanks!

Matt

Old 07-28-2010, 08:38 AM

357 posts, read 1,383,757 times
I would recommend doing a tour of a few of the wineries near Mebane and then exploring quaint downtown Hillsborough, and eating at a nice place down there. There is also an old estate in Hillsborough (sorry, can't remember the name) that you can stop at to walk around the grounds and they have a nice nature trail all shaded in the woods along a stream. My husband & I made a day of that about a year ago and had a wonderful time.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:40 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
I remember an old cartoon that someone sent to me many years ago. It went something like this...

A woman's perfect day: breakfast in bed, flowers from hubby, good morning kiss from hubby, massage, fancy lunch, and the list went on and included about 50 different things.

A man's perfect day: breakfast, sex, lunch, beer, sex, dinner, beer, sex.

Sorry...couldn't resist!!!

Vicki (wink wink)

Old 07-28-2010, 09:57 AM

1,112 posts, read 2,865,120 times
LoL I guess Mr R likes his beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I remember an old cartoon that someone sent to me many years ago. It went something like this...

A woman's perfect day: breakfast in bed, flowers from hubby, good morning kiss from hubby, massage, fancy lunch, and the list went on and included about 50 different things.

A man's perfect day: breakfast, sex, lunch, beer, sex, dinner, beer, sex.

Sorry...couldn't resist!!!

Vicki (wink wink)

Old 07-28-2010, 11:30 AM

1,467 posts, read 5,130,150 times
How about a day at Frankie's Fun park? Then home to nap, shower and get all 'dolled up' for a nice dinner?

Old 07-28-2010, 03:46 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,344,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyboat View Post
I would recommend doing a tour of a few of the wineries near Mebane and then exploring quaint downtown Hillsborough, and eating at a nice place down there. There is also an old estate in Hillsborough (sorry, can't remember the name) that you can stop at to walk around the grounds and they have a nice nature trail all shaded in the woods along a stream. My husband & I made a day of that about a year ago and had a wonderful time.
Ayr Mount and Poet's Walk. It really is a nice walk! Going for a bite to eat downtown and just browsing would be nice too.

Old 07-28-2010, 03:56 PM

1,357 posts, read 4,028,711 times
The Raleigh Wide Open festival all day Saturday! Vendors, food, 4 stages w concerts/performances, fireworks at 11pm... it was a BLAST last year!

Old 07-28-2010, 03:59 PM

2,135 posts, read 7,657,757 times
I would eat in Brightleaf Square and go on a boat ride on Jordan Lake Triangle Boat Tours
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary