Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 10:59 AM

32 posts, read 76,594 times

Advertisements

I may move to Raleigh this year and am single in my 30s.

Can anyone give me insight into whether this is a good place for singles. It seems from the posts that it is good for families, but I am not married and don't have kids.

What is there for single people? Are there any good places to go and activities to do?

I am thinking about moving to North Raleigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2007, 01:28 PM

177 posts, read 847,942 times
There's a ton of stuff for singles to do here. What sorts of things are you interested in?

eileen

Old 04-14-2007, 03:21 PM

I like some outdoor activities such as bike riding. I also like to go to the gym.

I like live theater, night clubs, coffee shops, bowling, good resturants, etc.

I have also been interested in taking classes related to acting or singing.

Old 04-14-2007, 03:33 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,114,450 times
There's PLENTY of stuff for singles to do here! My brother is also single guy in his 30's and I think he's met a lot of people through an off road cycling club and a local environmental clean up group. It's not specifically for singles, but he's made a ton of friends through these groups both single and married. There is also plenty of live theater, Raleigh has an off broadway series, plenty of coffee houses, bowling, restaurants, night clubs and more. There are some neat independent bookstores in the area that I happen to know many singles hang out at whether just browsing or attending book clubs, signings and workshops. There is also a theater group in Raleigh, Raleigh Little Theater, which has been around for decades and has plenty of opportunities for stage productions as well as classes and workshops.

Old 04-14-2007, 05:05 PM

Thanks for the information. I will check out Raleigh Little Theater

Old 04-14-2007, 05:06 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,968,193 times
I'm older than you (turning 40) but meetup.com has a ton of things going on for every kind of interest, it seems, and lots of people are in their 20s-30s. They have an outdoors one I'm definitely going to join - a wine one - restaurant one - etc.

Old 04-14-2007, 07:28 PM

2,086 posts, read 7,646,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp200 View Post
...meetup.com has a ton of things going on for every kind of interest, it seems, and lots of people are in their 20s-30s. They have an outdoors one I'm definitely going to join - a wine one - restaurant one - etc.
We've gone to a few of the wine meetup's and they have been fun and we've met some cool people. There are a lot of singles in these groups. Also, a friend of mine belongs to a sports-based social group which singles oriented for 20's-30's - I think it's called TriSports. They have coed sports leagues and hold social events, such as charity wine tastings, etc.

Old 04-14-2007, 11:20 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,950,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGuy View Post
I like some outdoor activities such as bike riding. I also like to go to the gym.

I like live theater, night clubs, coffee shops, bowling, good resturants, etc.

I have also been interested in taking classes related to acting or singing.
Hi,
There is plenty to do...I am single guy 33yo professional, I moved from Long Island to Raleigh in November 2006. You will be fine...I say take visits and do your research, the area has alot to offer. You will be happy here. I am learning the area and making friends, I knew all of one person here, and she is married with a family so I can't rely on her to show me things and get involved. It's been a work in progress but its a fun journey. I wish you the best. If you have any questions or if I can be of any help, please don't hesitate to ask.

Brian

Old 04-14-2007, 11:41 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,671,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGuy View Post
I may move to Raleigh this year and am single in my 30s.

Can anyone give me insight into whether this is a good place for singles. It seems from the posts that it is good for families, but I am not married and don't have kids.

What is there for single people? Are there any good places to go and activities to do?

I am thinking about moving to North Raleigh.
Do you have a dog? LOL! Really, I have seen more dates made and heard more pick up lines at the dog park! Oakwood seems better for this then Milbrook...but I've seen it there to.

Just this morning a nice young man (with a rottie mix) got a date with a very pretty young lady (with sweet pit bull / shepard mix puppy she just rescued) for tonight. They'd met before at the DP and he finally asked her out today.

So yeah.....singles can meet people and make friends around here.

There are also lots of cyclists, seems to be a pretty good theatre town for classes, groups and performances - not a huge art community, but it's getting there and not hard to find....lots of good classes. Bowling is not too popular though.

Old 04-16-2007, 09:40 AM

64 posts, read 251,251 times
Raleigh/Durham is consistently a Top 5 for Forbes list of Top Cities for Singles. When you consider three major universities (State, Duke, and UNC) and a thriving tech industry in the area it makes for great relocation for young professionals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary