Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2010, 11:12 AM

62 posts, read 153,926 times

Advertisements

Hi - just curious if anyone had any words of wisdom on selling a house FSBO in a rural or secluded area?

My husband and I are trying to sell our house FSBO in Franklinton due to his job situation and are looking for advice from folks who have succeeded in selling a rural/secluded house by owner.

What we've done:
  • We have real estate connections who have listed our house on the MLS for a very low flat-fee listing, so we are getting exposure on all the major real estate web sites.
  • We have it listed on ForSalebyOwner.com, Craig's List, and WRAL classifieds.
  • I'm using Facebook and Twitter, as well, to take advantage of the social media audience.
  • I've emailed our listing, link to our virtual tour, and PDF of our flyer to all the local realtors in the Louisburg, Henderson, Franklinton, Youngsville and Wake Forest area to make them aware of the new listing.

I've heard that Open Houses don't really help and are more for the agents than for buyers. Our house is in a gated community on a lake and drive-by traffic is impossible. Even the entrance to our neighborhood is at the end of a private road, so unless we leave a trail of directional FSBO signs like breadcrumbs along a 5 mile stretch, I'm at a loss.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 12:47 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,951,995 times
My guess is that the majority of buyers use an agent to search. To get to those buyers you have to get to their agents. Are you committed to paying the buyer's agent fee, and is that included in your listing?

Old 08-20-2010, 12:49 PM

Hi - yes, we are committed to paying a buyer's agent fee. I am not sure if it's included in the listing, but I'll double-check and add if it not. But there's a 2.4% buyer's agent fee in our MLS listing contract, so the agent who brings us a buyer could still get a nice chunk of change.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:51 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,480,219 times
I would throw a bone to the buyers agent...not just paying their fee, but paying an extra thousand or two. That will get them to show the property. Number of showings has a direct correlation with ability to sell.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
I would throw a bone to the buyers agent...not just paying their fee, but paying an extra thousand or two. That will get them to show the property. Number of showings has a direct correlation with ability to sell.
Thanks, good suggestion - any suggestions on how to throw that bone? Include it in my MLS write-up? Not sure how to reach them, aside from cold-call emails, etc...

Old 08-20-2010, 01:39 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,480,219 times
I would include it in the mls write-up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary