Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 08:10 PM

7 posts, read 9,222 times

Advertisements

Webfootma
I have thought about Chapel Hill area. I think the houses are a bit highpriced.If I could convince my husband to buy a townhouse then we might be in business. I will be moving up there next week to stay in an efficiency for a week, that will give me a little time to find an apt in the area which we want to buy a house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2007, 06:09 PM

23 posts, read 80,677 times
Holly Springs isn't terrible, and you can get a decent sized house and lot out here in the 200k range. I bought my first house out there and it served me well. Its also very very quiet out here, its a growing town so its a good investment and while i dont have kids i heard the new schools they've built are doing well.

Old 07-02-2007, 10:09 PM

725 posts, read 1,501,025 times
Hey Arnie

Johnston county is nice, but way to far if you want a short commute to Durham,
think of it as south/east of Raleigh while Durham is north/west of Raleigh). Clayton to Durham is about 40 miles.

Don't forget about the areas west of Durham like Hillsborough (14 miles to Durham). Morrisville is another place to consider. Super close to Durham but housing prices are a little bit higher.

Old 07-03-2007, 09:47 AM

60 posts, read 118,763 times
Mebane is nicely affordable and a very easy drive to Durham via I-85 as are Oxford and Granville County. The areas south of Raleigh like Holly Springs are not only a long ways but a very difficult drive with lots of traffic.

Don't discount the elementary schools in Durham, some are excellent. If your kids are older though the middle schools are not so great.

Old 07-03-2007, 10:33 AM

42 posts, read 148,675 times
My husband and I are also moving, but from Charlotte. We have to stay south of the city but Wake Forest is supposed to be great, and we really love Cary and Apex. Cary and Apex have the highest rated schools in Wake Co. on GreatSchools.net- for what that is worth. Both those areas are around 30min from Durham. Wake Forest is also a short drive from Durham and there is a huge lake up there for recreation. They are also supposed to have good schools.

Old 07-03-2007, 10:43 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,984,044 times
Mebane is not a bad drive, its about 20 miles away. Its kind of a "tourist" area since its right off of I-40. Lots of restaurants so people tend to stop.

Clayton from Durham is about a 45 min to an hour drive. I drive it every day, its not bad, then again, I'm used to it. I used to live in Raleigh with only a 20 minute commute. The house I bought, the location, etc in Clayton, to me, is worth the drive.

Old 07-14-2007, 06:30 PM

4 posts, read 12,571 times
stay away from granville county schools, chapel hill/orange have the best schools in the area. In Durham, we used private schools.

Old 08-19-2007, 04:30 PM

7 posts, read 9,222 times
hey everyone.
We moved to Hillsborough, which is Orange county. So far we really like the small town and the commute is only 15 mins from Durham

Old 08-19-2007, 07:35 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,089,224 times
Congrats, Arnie123! If we ever get there, we'll be looking at Hillsborough vs Chapel Hill. The CH/Carrboro school district is excellent though I hear Cedar Ridge HS is very good too. I think ultimately what will sway us is if we move too far into the school year. Then we'll most likely look at the Chapel Hill area as their HS is on a traditional schedule (like our current HS) rather than a 4x4 block schedule which I understand can be difficult to transition into from an academic perspective mid-semester.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary