Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 01:58 PM

2 posts, read 25,540 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to the raleigh area in a couple months but I have a pitbull and want to know if there are any apartment complexs that allow him? If anyone knows of any in the area please let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2007, 02:40 PM

709 posts, read 934,734 times
Good luck and get good insurance. Look I know your dog is a sweet thing raised by a good person but the bad press the breed has gotten from the ja(k@sses who raise mean dogs is well your problem also.

Old 06-28-2007, 03:26 PM

2,086 posts, read 7,643,120 times
I know that many large complexes have absolutely ridiculous agressive breed lists (there is not really a standard list it seems), including everything from Pits and Rotties to GREYHOUNDS!! Others are far less inclusive, but I have yet to really notice one that had no breed restrictions, and if there are restrictions, unfortunately Pits are usually on the list. I would suggest trying to find a privately owned/managed apartment as these situations may be more personal and flexible (not to mention you won't have to put up with some of the ridiculous things that go on at even the nicest big complexes). I also suggest that you get insurance since that could be an advantage for you as well. Best of luck!

Old 06-28-2007, 04:17 PM

579 posts, read 2,863,277 times
Hi,
There are a few places that have no breed restrictions but the only one I know of off hand is Avalon Peaks in Apex. Good luck! It's a great place and they have an excellent reputation as well.

PS I have pits, too. BEST DOGS EVER in the RIGHT hands!

Old 06-28-2007, 04:26 PM

Location: Between a nook-a-ler reactor and a dump, North Cackalacky
283 posts, read 1,259,391 times
We have a pit mix and rented a house from a couple, they were fine with the dog. We got a fenced in yard in the deal. Perhaps a small house might work out for you?

Old 06-28-2007, 05:19 PM

2,058 posts, read 5,860,757 times
We live in an apartment (we don't have a dog), but my point is that even though there are breed restrictions here, I see pit bulls and rotwiellers around all the time. I'm not sure how tough they are on the restrictions. You could ask. PM me if you want the name of our apartment. We are in Durham though, not Raleigh.

Old 06-29-2007, 06:44 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,494,606 times
I second the poster who suggested finding a small house to rent... try Craigslist. Hope you find something that meets your needs!

Old 07-02-2007, 04:03 PM

27 posts, read 189,887 times
I used to live in Litchford Park apartments in North Raleigh and I had a pitbull. There were several pitbulls in that apartment complex.

Old 07-02-2007, 06:36 PM

381 posts, read 1,325,572 times
Default An issue

The big issue for apartment complexes is the legal liability. Pit Bulls are the only breed officially recognized by NC as a "dangerous breed," although different towns or apartments have varying definitions.

Plus, there is recent caselaw holding a landlord liable if a tenant's dog attacks someone and the dog is either a known dangerous breed or has a history of attack.

Pit Bulls have a bad rap, but so many of them have been poorly bred that it is impossible to distinguish a good from a bad one unless you go through the geneology. And even that will not insulate the landlord from potential liability.

Anyway, good luck finding a place to stay. It's getting harder out there.

fwiw,
Mike

Old 04-02-2014, 09:25 PM

1 posts, read 5,358 times
Default in response

We live in an apartment (we don't have a dog), but my point is that even though there are breed restrictions here, I see pit bulls and rotwiellers around all the time. I'm not sure how tough they are on the restrictions. You could ask. PM me if you want the name of our apartment. We are in Durham though, not Raleigh.

I have a pitbull, can I have the name of your apartment complex?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary