Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 07:19 AM

250 posts, read 463,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
Goldsboro was never the big exciting city, but sure had a lot of good eating places over the years. Do you remember Happy Jack's, on Stronach Ave? It was just around the corner from Scott's and Mason's Dept. Store. They had the cheapest burgers in town, small ones but good. They may have had chicken, I can't remember.
I don't recall Happy Jack's but do remember very well Burger Chef on Ashe St./Berkeley Blvd. Used to love their burgers - they were always hot & fresh and they put them in clear sandwich Glad-type baggies. Remember Ray's Kingburgers on William St.? Speaking of Mason's Dept. Store, that's where I bought The Beatles Sgt. Peppers & Magical Mystery Tour (mono) for $1.00! This was back around '68, I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 12:07 PM

2,615 posts, read 3,144,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricklh View Post
I don't recall Happy Jack's but do remember very well Burger Chef on Ashe St./Berkeley Blvd. Used to love their burgers - they were always hot & fresh and they put them in clear sandwich Glad-type baggies. Remember Ray's Kingburgers on William St.? Speaking of Mason's Dept. Store, that's where I bought The Beatles Sgt. Peppers & Magical Mystery Tour (mono) for $1.00! This was back around '68, I think.
Yes, Burger Chef was great. I remember a Ray's Kingburger on Berkeley Blvd, almost to the base gates, on right. They were some of the best burgers I ever ate. I remember Rich's on William St, at 117 intersection. They were squeezed into an odd shaped lot. I don't recall a Ray's on William St. Remember Bronco Bill's/Burley's Taco House on William St.? No one could ever keep an eating place in that building. Griffin Exterminators eventually bought the bldg & I think is still there. Ma's Kitchen nearby was a good place. Think they are gone several years now.

Hickory use to still have a Burger Chef several years after the chain shut down. The manager there bought the name and kept it a few years.

I use to get arrows at Mason's. I loved archery & they had a small archery corner there, more than most stores in the area.

Old 09-16-2010, 02:41 PM

250 posts, read 463,772 times
Quote:
Yes, Burger Chef was great. I remember a Ray's Kingburger on Berkeley Blvd, almost to the base gates, on right. They were some of the best burgers I ever ate. I remember Rich's on William St, at 117 intersection. They were squeezed into an odd shaped lot. I don't recall a Ray's on William St. Remember Bronco Bill's/Burley's Taco House on William St.? No one could ever keep an eating place in that building. Griffin Exterminators eventually bought the bldg & I think is still there. Ma's Kitchen nearby was a good place. Think they are gone several years now.

Hickory use to still have a Burger Chef several years after the chain shut down. The manager there bought the name and kept it a few years.

I use to get arrows at Mason's. I loved archery & they had a small archery corner there, more than most stores in the area.
You're right - it was Rich's on William St. and Ray's on Berkeley on the base end of Berkeley. I don't remember Bronco Bill's but how about Bobby's Broasted Chicken (William St., I believe), and Bonanza on Cashwell Dr.? I still miss the Bonanza steaks!

Old 09-16-2010, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricklh View Post
You're right - it was Rich's on William St. and Ray's on Berkeley on the base end of Berkeley. I don't remember Bronco Bill's but how about Bobby's Broasted Chicken (William St., I believe), and Bonanza on Cashwell Dr.? I still miss the Bonanza steaks!
Yes, Bobby's Chicken King. My brother use to go there a lot. It eventually became a rough place by the time I was out driving around. But they did have great chicken, the little I went there. It's been gone several years now. Bonanza was good, I agree. Nowadays, those kind of places have somewhat mediocre steaks at best.

Old 09-16-2010, 07:31 PM

165 posts, read 434,265 times
Thanks to the earlier post, when I was in Durham the other day, I decided to check out the recommended Backyard BBQ Pit on Hwy 55. Yes, it was soooo good. And the macaroni and cheese was to die for. Thanks!

Old 09-16-2010, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by relo-NC View Post
Any recommendations? I'm not into pork, but would love to sink my teeth into a great piece of fried chicken now that I live here. Where should I go???
Your 1st post said you didn't like BBQ but would like some fried chicken. Your 2nd post said your inquiry wasn't about fried chicken. I'm confused.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by relo-NC View Post
Thanks to the earlier post, when I was in Durham the other day, I decided to check out the recommended Backyard BBQ Pit on Hwy 55. Yes, it was soooo good. And the macaroni and cheese was to die for. Thanks!
Yes, that's a good place. If you're in that vicinity again, check out Dillard's at 3921 Fayetteville St. Good fried chicken, BBQ chicken & BBQ pork.

Old 09-17-2010, 04:17 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
Although I rarely eat buffets, I recently ate at Golden Corral in Garner at an after funeral gathering with relatives. The fried chicken was very good I thought.....especially the small cuts of breast meat. All the other pieces were small like I like fried chicken too. You don't find many places these days serving pieces from a small fryer...say in the 2 1/2 lb to 3 lb range. Anyway...I give The Golden Corral an A on the fried chicken. As I recall I made a pig of myself

Last edited by Poggly Woggly; 09-17-2010 at 04:45 AM..

Old 09-18-2010, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Yes, Bobby's Chicken King. My brother use to go there a lot. It eventually became a rough place by the time I was out driving around. But they did have great chicken, the little I went there. It's been gone several years now. Bonanza was good, I agree. Nowadays, those kind of places have somewhat mediocre steaks at best.
I tried the honey fried recipe tonight. Rather disappointing. Outside nearly burned. Meat was tender & juicy, mostly good. Larger pieces had a raw spot, had to microwave some. Not sure I'll try it again.

Old 09-18-2010, 08:12 PM

165 posts, read 434,265 times
jmellc - whoops that was a typo. Definitely interested in fried chicken. Just wasn't interested in the CV cafeteria's chicken because of the so-so ratings. Thanks for allowing me to clarify.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary