Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2007, 09:15 PM

2 posts, read 4,138 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I am moving to NC in the next 6 months. Job relo for my husband, who will work in RTP. I am looking for a nice place to live, with good schools, home in 200k range with 1/2 acre +, with a commute less than 40 minutes for my husband.

Any good recommendations? Much appreciation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2007, 10:05 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,110,414 times
it's very, very difficult anywhere in the triangle to find a home in that price range with that size of a lot. You might consider Chatham County if a large lot is important to you.

Old 07-01-2007, 11:21 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,781,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAMOMMY View Post
Hello All, I am moving to NC in the next 6 months. Job relo for my husband, who will work in RTP. I am looking for a nice place to live, with good schools, home in 200k range with 1/2 acre +, with a commute less than 40 minutes for my husband. Any good recommendations? Much appreciation.
Being from a well off area in California, I moved to Durham contrary to what a lot of people told us to do. But we are enjoying it and found our property at less than 200k with 3/4 acre. Seems most people will steer you away from Durham for some reason. I dunno. But it's right down the block from RTP (5-15 minute drive depending how far to outskirts you go). Also, from what I understand, the school system in Durham is not experiencing what the rest of Wake County is experiencing, but I'm not one to ask since we do not have children yet. However, lots of stuff by the SouthPoint area too under 200k. Older homes from the sixties and fifties for that price, but good neighborhood. Other places too. I'm sure others will chime in.

Old 07-02-2007, 07:57 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,060,029 times
I agree with CaliBoy. During our house hunt, I saw many homes fitting your description in southern Durham. All of them had 3 bedrooms & 2 full bathrooms, but that was our personal search criteria. The neighborhoods were all pretty, wooded, safe, and some of them didn't even have HOAs (which many see as a plus). And you can't beat the commute. Because Durham residents traveling to RTP don't have to contend with the hoardes driving in from Wake County, the commute to RTP tends to be far shorter.

I don't have children yet, so I don't think I can give you a proper response about the schools. I know that IndigoBlue (a mother of 4) and Bull City Rising have done some excellent research on Durham county schools. They can give you more of the details.

Another option for you might be Morrisville. I didn't look for any homes there, so I can't give you any info from personal experience, but I would bet that there are some houses there that fit your criteria. Good luck!

Old 07-02-2007, 01:31 PM

281 posts, read 1,108,396 times
I would consider southern wake county...not hard at all to find that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary