Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2006, 03:52 PM

225 posts, read 954,253 times

Advertisements

Looking for suggestions on a special place to get away overnight within a few hours of Raleigh.

My husband has taken a job down in Cary & I'll be going down to visit him for a long week-end. He is currently staying in a teeny-tiny apartment (nothing fancy). I would love to go somewhere special for a night or two. Both the mountians & ocean sound great--any suggestions on where to stay that is a bit different then the typical hotel/motel? Or maybe somewhere else in the state, I'm open for suggestions!

I'll be going around mid-Sept. Any suggestions? Thanks! jmarie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2006, 04:05 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,004,370 times
The Grove Park Inn Resort & Spa or the Biltmore Estate Inn.

Both located in the Asheville Metro Area. I e-mailed you the web site locations.

Last edited by mm34b; 08-15-2006 at 04:42 PM..

Old 08-15-2006, 05:50 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,472,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b

Both located in the Asheville Metro Area. I e-mailed you the web site locations.

Have you been there before?

Old 08-15-2006, 09:32 PM

311 posts, read 618,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b

I would definitely second that! Grove Park Inn is wonderful, haven't been to Biltmore Estate Inn but know people who have and they thought it was great.

Old 08-15-2006, 10:44 PM

518 posts, read 2,226,591 times
Grove Park Inn is terrific. Highly recommend the concierge level.
Also worth checking out is the Balsam Mountain Inn, halfway between Waynesville and Sylva. Management describes it as "100-room bed and breakfast." It's a turn-of-the-century-type building with large, delightfully furnished rooms -- no two are exactly alike. The elevation is almost 4,000 feet and views are breathtaking.

Old 08-16-2006, 11:50 AM

225 posts, read 954,253 times
Thank you for your suggestions & mm34b thank you for e-mailing me the links.

The Grove Park Inn does look WONDERFUL!! The pool area looks fabulous. But, the price is $$$$$$$, it may be more then I would like to spend a night. It looks like they have some good specials, but, they fall in a week day.

Off to check the Balsam Mountain Inn.
Thanks for these suggestions so far, happy to get any more you may have!

Old 08-16-2006, 01:49 PM

954 posts, read 4,378,005 times
There are two places you should consider, both in Black Mountain.

The Red Rocker Inn.
The Monte Vista Hotel.

Of course, if you can swing the Grove Park it is the best. These suggestions are very nice but not as hard on the pocket-book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary