Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 05:34 AM

286 posts, read 749,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshjiv View Post
Dumbest thing in the world to not have alcohol at the state fair. Par for the course for this dumbas* bible belt state. Let church and religion dictate stuff that has no ties to church and religion.

If you do not like this " "dumbas* bible belt state", you should move. There are 49 others to chose from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 06:59 AM

271 posts, read 700,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkrn44 View Post
Just curious. Or if its not allowed are you allowed to "tailgate" in the parking lot?
Tailgate? It's not a football game!

Old 10-15-2010, 07:31 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
I don't go to church and am not religious. I don't drink either. One does not equal the other.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:32 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
Don't we all know church going religious people who are also drunks???!!??!

Old 10-15-2010, 08:25 AM

523 posts, read 1,326,949 times
There are probably a lot of valid reasons to not have alcohol sales at the State Fair, but I think it's stretching it to say that it would be "a disaster" if you could buy a drink there. For example: beer, wine, and liquor are all sold at the L.A. County Fair, where attendance outstrips the NC State Fair by 500K+ every year since it's a four-week fair, and I'm not aware of anything disasterous that happened there because of alcohol consumption (at least during the years that I was going to that fair). L.A. puts on a good fair with most of the same elements of the NC State Fair - a focus on agriculture, crafts, and delicious, deadly fried food - but there, you can experience all of those things with a margarita in your hand

I really don't think that the "Bible Belt" influence can be discounted. This is the South, after all - I grew up here and love it, but religion is ALWAYS a factor when alcohol sales are involved. Remember the Christian Action League's opposition of the Pop the Cap bill that raised allowable alcohol content in beer here? I don't think the Bible influence is necessarily a major player in the case of the NC State Fair, where liability is more of a concern, but I do think it's naive to believe that it plays no role at all.

Old 10-15-2010, 04:06 PM

906 posts, read 2,382,302 times
I definitely think that NC being a 'Bible Belt' state is the main factor in no alcohol at the Fair. I grew up in several midwestern states and the state & county fairs always had alcohol sales. It was confined to the "Beer Garden" so it's not like there were beer stands all over the place or people walking around with cups of beer. Even all the church and town festivals had beer. St. Raphael's has beer at their festival and we never experienced any problems with drunk people there.

My husband and I were quite surprised when we went to the fair the first year we were here and there was no beer tent. He mentioned it to his co-workers who were wide-eyed: "You had BEER at your fair?!?" We had no clue. It was nice because the beer tents would have bands playing and people would dance. Lots of fun.

Old 10-15-2010, 05:03 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshjiv View Post
Dumbest thing in the world to not have alcohol at the state fair. Par for the course for this dumbas* bible belt state. Let church and religion dictate stuff that has no ties to church and religion.
Not religion - just good sense in avoiding law enforcement issues in such a crowded situation.

Old 10-15-2010, 05:48 PM

881 posts, read 2,254,056 times
No deep fried margaritas for you!

State Fair fried-food finalists: Fried margaritas, fried Frito pie | kens5.com | San Antonio News, Weather, Sports, Traffic, Entertainment, Video and Photos

Old 10-15-2010, 08:03 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,294,631 times
My sentiments exactly! Maybe there would be someone there passing out some AA literature for those who must have alcohol available at every turn....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary