Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 08:35 AM

50 posts, read 94,750 times

Advertisements

I was pretty unhappy with the crowds too, but they thinned out a lot when the sun went down. Also for some reason, the Kerr-Scott building was realtively empty the whole day. And honestly, I didn't have a problem getting away from the Fairgrounds after the fireworks ended. As Dickens would have put it, it was the best of Fairs and the Worst of Fairs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 08:49 AM

525 posts, read 1,298,256 times
Vicky - GREAT advice, although I do have to say, this year really was worse than others. We've been on the first Sunday for about 5 years in a row, and like I said, it has always been very busy, and we were ok with that (to be expected!!), but it was never as bad as it was this year. It was the difference between waiting 10-15 minutes for a ride and waiting 30 minutes (with a small child that's a huge difference) - and it took us 45 minutes to find parking as opposed to 20 minutes like it usually does - and while it was sometimes difficult in years past to walk through the crowds, yesterday we just came to a complete standstill several times and seemed like we kept getting run over. It was a marked difference...but I think next year we'll be trying some of your suggestions

Old 10-18-2010, 08:54 AM

271 posts, read 700,969 times
Went Sunday morning and it was packed..Hard to believe there is an economy issue out there.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:38 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boocake View Post
Vicky - GREAT advice, although I do have to say, this year really was worse than others. We've been on the first Sunday for about 5 years in a row, and like I said, it has always been very busy, and we were ok with that (to be expected!!), but it was never as bad as it was this year. It was the difference between waiting 10-15 minutes for a ride and waiting 30 minutes (with a small child that's a huge difference) - and it took us 45 minutes to find parking as opposed to 20 minutes like it usually does - and while it was sometimes difficult in years past to walk through the crowds, yesterday we just came to a complete standstill several times and seemed like we kept getting run over. It was a marked difference...but I think next year we'll be trying some of your suggestions
Glad it helped!

We went one year on a Sunday and it was so packed that we got STUCK in the crowd. Pretty scary since we had a baby in a stroller and I'm short. No one could move. I still remember it and it had to have been at least 16 years ago! I could tell you EXACTLY where we were!

With the nice weather, the crowd probably was better (or worse) than previous years. Or maybe everyone is so sick of the yucky economy that they felt they needed to splurge and have some fun!

Since some of the funds from the State Fair go to the State of NC and it is so expensive, can we count it as a tax deduction???

Vicki

Old 10-18-2010, 10:02 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2three View Post
We're planning to go next Sunday right when the rides start at 10:00 AM. Do ya'll think the crowds will be crazy on Sunday AM? We were planning on doing rides and then having an early lunch so we can get out of there by mid-day.
We got there Saturday just before noon and while it was crowded it was mobbed by the time we left. As the day progresses the nature of the crowd changes. You should have a good time and enjoy it getting there that early. It is a real family time.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:04 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Thursday-Sunday you can park at the Kmart and ride their shuttle up the road for $2.00 each way. Worked out great on Saturday. By the time we left the fair and got back to the parking lot it was packed

Old 10-18-2010, 01:44 PM

662 posts, read 1,644,610 times
I went with my parents today (Monday). We got there at 8:45, and had a very nice 2-3 hours before it got pretty crowded. There were so many kids (of all ages) that I wondered if school was out! My dad is disabled so we parked in one of the handicapped lots and had no troubles getting in, or out when we left around 2. However as we were leaving we saw cars parked for what seemed like miles down on the sides of the road..(Hillsborough I think).. wow!

Old 10-18-2010, 02:31 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
We went Friday and again today on the North Raleigh CAT shuttle.

Perfect weather really ramped up attendance this year.

Enjoyed the exhibits especially the old church and school that we missed over the years of fairgoing.

Old 10-18-2010, 03:57 PM

116 posts, read 254,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsRhythm View Post
I went with my parents today (Monday). We got there at 8:45, and had a very nice 2-3 hours before it got pretty crowded. There were so many kids (of all ages) that I wondered if school was out! My dad is disabled so we parked in one of the handicapped lots and had no troubles getting in, or out when we left around 2. However as we were leaving we saw cars parked for what seemed like miles down on the sides of the road..(Hillsborough I think).. wow!
Some kids are tracked out but my sister is a teacher and she says people do hold their kids out of school for the fair. After my experience this past weekend I can see why! Next year we will go first thing in the morning.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:24 AM

108 posts, read 347,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Thursday-Sunday you can park at the Kmart and ride their shuttle up the road for $2.00 each way. Worked out great on Saturday. By the time we left the fair and got back to the parking lot it was packed
That's good deal! Can you tell me which Kmart this is? Also, are kids under 40" free?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary