Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2007, 01:43 PM

336 posts, read 1,496,245 times

Advertisements

what area did you choose and why?? i would very much like to move from morrisville to durham in the next couple of years and would value your opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2007, 02:51 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,063,224 times
I live in southwestern Durham in the Woodcroft community. It's located about 1 mile north of Southpoint Mall. I posted a ton of photos of Woodcroft in the following thread: Pictures of Woodcroft, Durham?

We chose to buy here for lots of reasons. Some of them are specific to Woodcroft, but many apply to the entire area of southwestern Durham.
1. It's very close to where my husband works. He can be at the office in less than 10 minutes
2. It's very close to lots of ammenities - grocery stores, restaurants, the shopping around Southpoint Mall (including the movie theater), etc. Just about anything we want is within a 2 mile radius of our home.
3. The central location plus the close proximity to I-40 makes it easy to get to other parts of the Triangle whenever we feel the urge.
4. Tons of mature landscaping & walking trails throughout the neighborhood.
5. Very reasonable prices.
6. Amazingly quiet ... especially when you consider how close we are to everything.
I could go on and on, but that's enough for now.

We've lived here for nearly 4 months now and we're very pleased with our choice. It's a great place to call home.

Old 09-08-2007, 02:57 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,697,311 times
I chose North Durham. It's got a great central location to the Triangle, making areas like Raleigh or Chapel Hill very accessible. Tons less traffic than a lot of other areas, and very calm and quiet. Close to Hospitals, restaurants, shopping, there are some really nice parks all over the place. It's easy to jump on 85 to visit some of the cities west of us, or head up North into VA or DC. Oh, and the boom hasn't gotten over here yet, so housing is still very reasonable.

Old 09-08-2007, 03:30 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,195,360 times
We chose Duke Forest--it's a neighborhood south of Duke's west campus in the vicinity of Academy Road. We like it here because it's centrally located in Durham--less than 2 miles to the Brightleaf district, close to shopping, restaurants, hiking trails, Durham Freeway (which my husband takes to RTP) and UNC, where I work. It's an older neighborhood (established in the mid-50s), and we've got a nice big treed lot. We also liked the Watts-Hillandale neighborhood when we were house hunting and appreciate the community-oriented feel of the neighborhood, but nothing suitable in our price range was available when we were looking.

Old 09-08-2007, 07:57 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,761,437 times
We choose the area South of Southpoint for the schools and it's location.... seemed as convenient as we were going to get for our price range. We also had done the old house thing for a number of years so we were looking for newer. Oh, and did I mention the quiet... I love that the loudest thing I hear are the tree frogs, cicadas, and crickets... oh and my kids screaming and laughing and having a good time.

Old 09-08-2007, 08:05 PM

959 posts, read 4,494,948 times
We bought in Hope Valley Green which is directly to the west of Woodcroft, in SW Durham.

Why we chose this area?

- Close to hubby's work - 12 minutes
- Right by I-40 for quick zipping to various areas of triangle
- 751 is a beautiful, scenic, mostly light-free way to get to Cary/Apex/etc
- great square footage for your $$$
- our neighborhood is linked to a very well regarded elementary - Hope Valley and high school - Jordan
- The shopping is amazing and almost every store I'd ever want to go to in the Triangle is within a couple of miles
- Streets at Southpoint is very VERY close
- the SW Durham area is very green and nicely landscaped

Old 09-08-2007, 08:12 PM

33 posts, read 111,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
I live in southwestern Durham in the Woodcroft community. It's located about 1 mile north of Southpoint Mall. I posted a ton of photos of Woodcroft in the following thread: Pictures of Woodcroft, Durham?

We chose to buy here for lots of reasons. Some of them are specific to Woodcroft, but many apply to the entire area of southwestern Durham.
1. It's very close to where my husband works. He can be at the office in less than 10 minutes
2. It's very close to lots of ammenities - grocery stores, restaurants, the shopping around Southpoint Mall (including the movie theater), etc. Just about anything we want is within a 2 mile radius of our home.
3. The central location plus the close proximity to I-40 makes it easy to get to other parts of the Triangle whenever we feel the urge.
4. Tons of mature landscaping & walking trails throughout the neighborhood.
5. Very reasonable prices.
6. Amazingly quiet ... especially when you consider how close we are to everything.
I could go on and on, but that's enough for now.

We've lived here for nearly 4 months now and we're very pleased with our choice. It's a great place to call home.
I am also thinking Woodcroft for my Mom and Dad who are relocating from Florida. Its close to everything and my Mom loves to walk and Woodcroft is perfect for walking. Plus it is close to everything, which is something I think about since my parents are getting older and will be driving less.

Old 09-09-2007, 10:59 AM

5 posts, read 19,673 times
My husband & I are from California & NY.
We chose Grove Park subdivision. www.grovepark.org
For the following reasons:
Clubhouse, mature trees, volleyball, tennis courts, swimming pool, fully equiped gym, playground, massive lake, golf course, library, & fire station ALL within this subdivision.
TO ADD to all of this:
Grove Park HOA dues are extremely low, many different homes to choose from ranging from $180-$350K, close proximity to RTP airport, Hwy 40, Hwy 85, Hwy 70, Wake forest Hwy/ 98 Hwy, Downtown Durham, & B.Creek shopping/dining, are ALL winthin a short 15 min. drive or less.

Old 09-09-2007, 11:08 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,063,224 times
Welcome to the forum, Mrs. Henry! I believe my husband and I considered Grove Park during our house hunt. I loved the lake in the center. If I remember it correctly, there are lots of nice homes - even some of those priced under $200K - that back up to the lake.

Old 09-09-2007, 11:16 AM

1,489 posts, read 5,697,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
Welcome to the forum, Mrs. Henry! I believe my husband and I considered Grove Park during our house hunt. I loved the lake in the center. If I remember it correctly, there are lots of nice homes - even some of those priced under $200K - that back up to the lake.
There are many that back up to the golf course under $200k as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary