Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 06:33 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,114,938 times

Advertisements

Yes Vicki I did mean annoyed. Was just wondering, since we are new to the neighborhood, if we should make more of an effort to "fit in". Not saying we will. Simply wanted to know how people felt about it and boy, did I find out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 09:29 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,116,132 times
I personally don't care and have never given the neighbor's lights much thought, really. We all do our own thing, but I would think that if you are new to the hood and don't really want to do lights, then this is the year to not fo them (as newbies) and then there will never be any type of expectation!

Old 11-29-2010, 10:29 AM

375 posts, read 1,144,093 times
We decorate a fair bit - but we find it fun. I don't know if we'll ever compete in a Tacky Tinsel Tour.. but we do like to light up our house.

Sometimes I wish our neighbors decorated more, but its for a selfish reason. I LOVE to look at the lights and since I drive to the back of the neighborhood it would be fun for me to see everyone's display on my way home. But that doesn't make me dislike them for not decorating. I understand that lights can be expensive, we're all busy, and some just aren't able to physically do it all up anymore.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:21 AM

2,009 posts, read 3,586,697 times
Here is a good way to deal with your decoration issue

Old 11-29-2010, 02:07 PM

310 posts, read 575,899 times
In this day and age it would be very, very odd for neighbors to be resentful since we are such a diverse nation. I think the resentment would be symptomatic of other issues.

Old 11-29-2010, 05:39 PM

223 posts, read 577,231 times
We love to decorate for ourselves and for the neighbors. That said, this area is so diverse that I would not assume anything if a neighbor did not decorate.

Old 11-29-2010, 07:23 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,874,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
I remember the Cameron Village lights quite well. Did you ever drive out to see the Cross house years ago (near Enloe HS on New Bern Ave. to see the his Christmas displays? I always thought his display was in the best taste of any I ever saw.
I also loved the Cameron Village lights. I was fortunate to live across from them for a few yrs - lovely. And the Cross (poultry folks) house was always very nice, we checked it out each year - miss it.

As to the OP's question, I agree with the posters who say that it's basically an individual choice. I wouldn't think more or less of a neighborhood no matter what they choose to do. It's none of my business. I used to decorate the way Francois mentioned was once typical for this area. But with my youngest child being wild about any holiday decor, I have had yrs where I've gone all out. The way I see it, if my kids want it, it makes them happy, I do it for them - any chance to make a good memory for them if fine by me. I did skip a couple of yrs and never heard the end of it as the kids missed it and I felt like scrooge

Old 11-29-2010, 08:15 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,505,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
Here is a good way to deal with your decoration issue

OBVIOUSLY that house is not located in Cary. I do believe that would be considered a sign ordinance violation.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:54 PM

4,264 posts, read 4,719,385 times
Some Christians observe the Advent tradition.. with Christmas decorations going up only on the 24th.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:16 PM

68 posts, read 153,485 times
not at all. I resent the neighbors who put out christmas before december.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary