Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 08:54 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,465,730 times

Advertisements

My daughter plays 3 sports, so would I have to pay for each sport? And what amount will they charge for each sport? Would it be possible to cap it, so I would have to pay full price for the first 2 sports, then a small portion of the price for the 3rd sport? As a single mom, I already have a lot of expenses - everyone is passing costs on to us "little people", and can't afford to add even more money for school. I already pay for so much! While I don't qualify for reduced or free lunch, that doesn't mean I have the money to keep paying out, especially since I haven't gotten a pay increase for 2 years. So how will they handle people in my situation?

The eating off campus fee will ensure I don't approve my daughter to go off campus. Unfortunately, the fees for sports will cause me to limit her sports, because I can't afford to pay for all of them (in addition to the fees, we would have to pay for other items on the side, which are never cheap), so the one being hurt is my child.

And I'm totally against bus fees. Unfortunately, the system is so messed up, you have different kids zoned for different schools in the same neighborhood, so you have to send buses for each one. I think they need to zone all of the kids in the neighborhood to the same school. Unless I put my child in a magnet or charter school, she should go to the same school as my neighbor's child. The problem is some kids go to traditional schools and others go to year-round school. And while they say year-round school saves money, I have to question that, because the school is being heated and cooled all year, with no substantial break. Also, the buses are running all year to take those kids to school. That can't be a money-saver, because you have to pay for heating/cooling, water, food and buses in the summer for those schools that have classes year-round. If I live in my house for 9 months out of the year, it stands to reason my bills will be way less than if I lived in it all year. Maybe I'm missing something...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 10:07 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCaryGuy View Post
Exactly. SMART Lunch allows every student to have lunch at the same time and they are required to attend a certain amount of classes per quarter during lunch to get extra help and assistance. Having 4 lunches just isn't ideal because that only leaves 20 or 25 minutes for students to wait in the very long lunch lines and eat it.
10:00-10:05 Pass to lunch/class
10:05-10:35 Lunch A
10:35-10:40 Pass to lunch back to class
10-40-11-10 Lunch B
11;10-11:15 Pass to lunch back to class
11:15-11:45 Lunch C
11:45-11:50 Pass to lunch back to class
11:50-12:20 Lunch D
12:20-12:25 All students pass to next period.

Basic schedule you can move forward. Thirty minute lunches with five minute pass time to get there. A number of problems including 10:00 lunch for some, split classes, and no time to clean cafeteria between lunches. Lunches span two academic periods timed appropriately.

Old 12-13-2010, 04:50 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,871,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by senalj View Post
And I'm totally against bus fees. Unfortunately, the system is so messed up, you have different kids zoned for different schools in the same neighborhood, so you have to send buses for each one. I think they need to zone all of the kids in the neighborhood to the same school. Unless I put my child in a magnet or charter school, she should go to the same school as my neighbor's child. The problem is some kids go to traditional schools and others go to year-round school. And while they say year-round school saves money, I have to question that, because the school is being heated and cooled all year, with no substantial break. Also, the buses are running all year to take those kids to school. That can't be a money-saver, because you have to pay for heating/cooling, water, food and buses in the summer for those schools that have classes year-round. If I live in my house for 9 months out of the year, it stands to reason my bills will be way less than if I lived in it all year. Maybe I'm missing something...
What you are missing is the cost of building a school ( land purchase, et al). The heating costs, etc you mentioned are a given, like a fixed cost per student which will follow them wherever they go. To build a new school for 300 or 1,000 students when they can be housed at other schools without having to build a school for them is the reason for year round. Sadly, it's from a cost perspective, not the convenience of parents/kids nor keeping kids in the neighborhood together.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:14 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullCity75 View Post
That is non-sense. Security staff are not required. Security is a luxury and we can only have as much as we can afford. After all, who looks after the students once they are out of the parking lot?
I suppose "necessity" can be debated. My personal experience from my own high schoolers is that security helps with two things (1) traffic - it's an absolute nightmare when several hundred inexperienced drivers all try to leave the single campus exit at one time in a huge hurry to get somewhere and back within their lunch period, and (2) enforcing who can leave campus for lunch; students had to meet certain criteria to obtain an off-campus lunch permit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary