Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 06:35 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,053,820 times

Advertisements

Wake talks about charging fees to deal with school budget cuts - Home Page - NewsObserver.com

Quote:
In the face of potential steep budget cuts, Wake County school board members said today they may need to consider ideas such as charging fees for students to play sports, ride the school bus and go off campus for lunch.

Wake school leaders are looking at the prospect of layoffs, larger class sizes and program cuts to deal with the possible loss of more than $100 million in state and federal funding next year. Board members said they need to talk with the public about looking at new ways to raise money that wouldn’t normally be considered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 06:40 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,254,457 times
Maybe they should close down the high school cafeterias! No one eats there anyway!

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Vicki

Old 12-08-2010, 06:45 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,816,101 times
I already drive my kids to school because the bus comes so ridiculously early that it isn't feasible to send them on the bus. Then when the bus gets to school they have to sit there for 10 minutes, because the doors to the school aren't even open yet! with the bus idling to keep either the heat or the AC running. Then you have kids being bused 45 minutes hither and yon....I can just imagine how much it costs to fuel those buses every week. Not sure if they can do away with it completely, but I know I could live without it.

As far as extra-curricular, when school budgets have failed on Long Island (where I used to live) the clubs who lost their funding found ways to raise the money themselves - thru car washes, bake sales, etc. A few years ago one football team raised $500K to run their team for the season. My nephew is in band here in Wake County - my sister pays fees for it and he's doing fundraising for a band trip. In NY, belonging to band, etc is free - but you've all heard the complaints about property taxes there....my SCHOOL TAXES alone were $8,000 a year. I'd rather not head down that road again.

I don't want to see any teacher lose their jobs, but I'm picking up more slack than I did in NY and I'm fine with it because I know where the money is actually going.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:53 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,092,226 times
Here's an idea: no less than 4 buses come down my tiny cul-de-sac to service just the middle schools (and there are only 4 homes with middle schoolers). If that is any indication of the typical neighborhood (we have only 37 homes), then I imagine that sorting out the assignments alone could save a ton on gas, bus drivers, and bus maintenance. I really wish they would just draw lines (making sure that every school had as ethnic and economically diverse population as possible) and assign people to schools and drop this whole year round stuff, and just keep up the magnets. It's maddening considering the huge waste in the transportation budget while our teachers get pay CUTS.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:58 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,964,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annesg View Post
Here's an idea: no less than 4 buses come down my tiny cul-de-sac to service just the middle schools (and there are only 4 homes with middle schoolers). If that is any indication of the typical neighborhood (we have only 37 homes), then I imagine that sorting out the assignments alone could save a ton on gas, bus drivers, and bus maintenance. I really wish they would just draw lines (making sure that every school had as ethnic and economically diverse population as possible) and assign people to schools and drop this whole year round stuff, and just keep up the magnets. It's maddening considering the huge waste in the transportation budget while our teachers get pay CUTS.
You do realize that the year round schools are the number one cost saver for Wake county?

Old 12-08-2010, 08:01 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,844,217 times
Stop building schools that rival the art museum in architecture and features? That may be a nice start. Opulence is not a necessary component of education.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:04 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,946,740 times
Maybe they could charge a fee to wear a nose ring or use chapstick.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:49 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,053,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Maybe they could charge a fee to wear a nose ring or use chapstick.
I knew I could count on you to put all of this in the right perspective

Old 12-09-2010, 10:51 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,460,264 times
Why not raise taxes some more? I am fine with paying nearly 8% in STATE income tax and almost 8% in SALES tax. Why not make it an even 10%?

Old 12-09-2010, 11:02 AM

49 posts, read 146,895 times
Wake schools are in financial trouble? How can this be? The neighborhood schools advocates said if we send all the poor kids back to their neighborhoods, we can then direct extra money and resources to those high poverty schools where it is needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary