Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 08:15 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,848,721 times

Advertisements

I have been researching the Triangle area and Charlotte for quite awhile now, and on paper it seems to have a lot of what I am looking for in retirement.... I am coming from SoCal, so lower COL, 4 mild seasons(I love the change of seasons), mild winters, trees, fairly close to mountains and coast, good shopping, a slower pace of life than the NE. My primarily concerns are the heat/humidity in the summer, and the culture change, and not really having the mountains or the beach close by. I want to visit this July to see if I could really handle the heat, but somehow my heart just isn't in it, and I don't know why. I'm trying to figure out if I should take a long trip there and cover both the Triangle and Charlotte, or just come for a few days (3-4) so if I really can't take the heat, etc. then I won't be out a lot of time and money. I always figured I would retire to New England but as the years passed I had to do a serious reality check about the harsh winters and driving there as I age. I did have a bad experience when visited Richmond area last year and maybe that's why I'm hesitating so much. I can't seem to get excited about the area. Appreciate any thoughts on why I'm having such a head vs heart conflict about this. I would say trust my gut, but having never been there, that's seems kind of unfair to my decision making process. I've looked forward to retirement and I really want to fall in love with my new area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 08:36 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,095,324 times
My heart wouldn't be in it, either.

It's miserable here in July and August.

How much time do you expect to spend outside? It's not like Southern California.

In the summer, I go from house to car to work or store...just chasing air conditioning.

My joy is to visit western New York, especially the Finger Lakes area, during some of the hot months. There, I can be outside, no mosquitoes to rip me to shreds; fresh air to breathe for hours. Beautiful scenery -- hills, lakes, rivers.

People compare the Triangle area to the burroughs of NYC, yes, it's pretty compared to that. But IMHO, it's nothing special. I'm used to trees; I expect trees. It has pretty areas but nothing jaw-dropping. The mountains and beach are nice -- and that's why people go there for vacations.

It is quite tolerable here in the fall and in the spring, and as you said, winters are mild (compared to Northeast winters).

SO -- if you can enjoy your time during those times, and make plans to escape elsewhere (to the beach) for at least part of the miserably hot summer months, then you'll probably be fine!

No place is perfect. But if the Triangle fits most of your requirements -- make it your home!

(And lots of people LOVE the heat! Maybe you'll be one of those?)

Old 06-10-2013, 08:52 PM

That's one of the biggest issues for me...I really hate hot weather. I mean, my bones feel great when it's 80, but higher than that, I just couldn't handle it, and in my heart I know it. It's funny you mentioned Western NY State, that's where I'm from originally (suburbs of Rochester). I think that place somehow always stays in our being. I could definitely handle the weather there, but I'm just afraid I'd get bored, not enough to do. But there are no hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, floods, fires, intense humidity, etc. I don't know how long I could deal with driving in the winter though. It is very beautiful there, but not sure I could fit in with the folks anymore...

if the Triangle is like the burroughs of NYC, forget it. Been there, done that.

I thought there were a lot of trees in NC?

Old 06-10-2013, 09:04 PM

Yes, there are a LOT of trees in NC. I'm just saying people go NUTS over that. And to me, it's just the same as what I'm used to. It's NOTHING like the burroughs of NYC!

What suburb of Rochester? Greece? Pittsford, Perinton, Penfield? Fairport? Webster? Brighton? Henrietta? I grew up in the village of Charlotte, lived in the city, and also the town of Greece.

Because the Triangle has boomed in the past 20 years, everything is NEW NEW NEW! So you'd live in an area with lots of new stores and homes.

Not as much "charm" as western New York, but that's okay.

The ideal life for me would be to live here in NC during the winter and spring and summer and fall in the Finger Lakes. I love autumn, too. The place up there absolutely is reeking in charm during that part of the year. ...not so much here. But we do get the change of seasons, at least.

Sounds like you might feel the same way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
That's one of the biggest issues for me...I really hate hot weather. I mean, my bones feel great when it's 80, but higher than that, I just couldn't handle it, and in my heart I know it. It's funny you mentioned Western NY State, that's where I'm from originally (suburbs of Rochester). I think that place somehow always stays in our being. I could definitely handle the weather there, but I'm just afraid I'd get bored, not enough to do. But there are no hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, floods, fires, intense humidity, etc. I don't know how long I could deal with driving in the winter though. It is very beautiful there, but not sure I could fit in with the folks anymore...

if the Triangle is like the burroughs of NYC, forget it. Been there, done that.

I thought there were a lot of trees in NC?

Old 06-10-2013, 09:15 PM

9,778 posts, read 15,788,843 times
I think you really need to make a visit and see how you feel. And then trust your gut. Winters are mild, but compared to SoCal, they might feel cold, but certainly nothing like New England. Summers might be hard if you are not used to or don't like heat or humidity. I've never lived in SoCal, but you might find it boring here compared to there. It's pretty laid-back and fairly slow-paced and obviously not a big city like LA and not near the beach. I think it's best described as a small city(ies), in a pretty warm climate centrally located about 3 hours from the beach or the mountains. There are things to do that a small city offers - theatre, museums, and shopping but no Broadway, Smithsonians or Rodeo Drives. And the cities are surrounded by lots of farmland, lakes, and nature. Lots of trees here! It is a bit far to get to the nearest big city - DC would be the closest at 4 1/2 hours away. Atlanta is 6 hours away. It's a relatively affordable place to live. Overall, I can see where it would be a good place to retire for many people, but I can see where others wouldn't like it. Good luck!

Old 06-10-2013, 09:20 PM

grew up in Fairport

Old 06-10-2013, 09:40 PM

294 posts, read 829,352 times
It's overall a great place with seasons. SoCal, as I understand, does not have seasons. The summers are not that bad - you have the mornings and nights which are beautiful. Beach and mountains are close by (two to three hours) and the people are so incredibly nice.

My wife grew up in Pittsford and says Cary is the closet thing she's seen to Pittsford (stepford wives)....

You really need to visit as the stereotypes are not true and the humidity has to be felt before making a decision...

Old 06-10-2013, 11:10 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,527,359 times
If your heart is telling you "no", why aren't you listening? Where do the people you most love reside? How are you feeling about retirement itself? It can be a difficult transition for many, even if you have always looked forward to it. What does it represent to you, and how do you feel about moving cross country? What does the SE represent to you? What would you miss most in leaving SoCal?

Last edited by west seattle gal; 06-11-2013 at 12:08 AM..

Old 06-11-2013, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH2NC View Post

My wife grew up in Pittsford and says Cary is the closet thing she's seen to Pittsford (stepford wives)....

Very true!

Old 06-11-2013, 06:54 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,525,471 times
"Your heart" is what many non believers call what Christians think of as God pointing them in a certain direction. Follow it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary