Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 03:27 PM

133 posts, read 331,363 times

Advertisements

I've yet to find a good, sit-down Chinese restaurant in the area that has a bar making terrific cocktails like Scorpion Bowls, Mai-Tais, etc.

Up north, getting Chinese take-out on New Year's Eve is a big tradition. At many places, you need to get your order in way ahead of time and there are lines out the door. Settling up to the bar, waiting for your order while sipping a Scorpion Bowl is something I haven't seen down here.

I'm sure many of you fellow New Englanders can appreciate what I'm saying but are there ANY places like that around the Triangle?

Almost every Chinese restaurant that I've seen are the shopping mall, take-out variety.

Also...did I mention the lack of Pu-Pu Platters? A bunch of great appetizers like egg rolls, fried shrimp, boneless spare ribs, etc. all ordered together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 04:55 PM

546 posts, read 1,678,719 times
Each region of the US has their own version of Chinese Food. New England tends to be Polynesian style, where as here in the triangle its Cantonese ( I missed Chinese food when I moved and did a lot of research on it and where to find good duck sauce )

Scorpion bowls I've yet to encounter down here and miss them!!! So if anyone knows of a place with a scorpion bowl please do tell!!!

I have found places that offer pu pu platters but not the extent that I'm used to up north.

I love love love it down here but I do miss me the New England (polynesian style) Chinese food. My mom has been kind enough to ship me down duck sauce every few months

Old 12-30-2010, 04:58 PM

205 posts, read 487,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPPWUS View Post
I've yet to find a good, sit-down Chinese restaurant in the area that has a bar making terrific cocktails like Scorpion Bowls, Mai-Tais, etc.

Up north, getting Chinese take-out on New Year's Eve is a big tradition. At many places, you need to get your order in way ahead of time and there are lines out the door. Settling up to the bar, waiting for your order while sipping a Scorpion Bowl is something I haven't seen down here.

I'm sure many of you fellow New Englanders can appreciate what I'm saying but are there ANY places like that around the Triangle?

Almost every Chinese restaurant that I've seen are the shopping mall, take-out variety.

Also...did I mention the lack of Pu-Pu Platters? A bunch of great appetizers like egg rolls, fried shrimp, boneless spare ribs, etc. all ordered together.
This sounds fantastic, tho I've never tried it. I love Chinese food but I haven't found any truly great Chinese around here. Fortunately, I love Chinese food so much that even mediocre takeout will keep me happy.

Old 01-01-2011, 01:21 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,241,694 times
Neo Asia (used to be Neo China) has a pu pu platter.

Vicki

Old 01-03-2011, 06:22 AM

86 posts, read 146,933 times
Imperial Garden in the plaza at Lead Mine & Sawmill also has a pu-pu platter (and good duck sauce). IMO, their food is pretty close what we got in NE, but they only serve beer/wine - no full liquor license.

Old 01-03-2011, 06:50 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,654,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhaven View Post
My mom has been kind enough to ship me down duck sauce every few months
FYI, it's just apple sauce, vinegar, splash of soy sauce and a little honey (if you like it sweeter).

And yeah the chinese food around here is horrible compared to Massachusetts.

Old 01-03-2011, 04:40 PM

546 posts, read 1,678,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HS_DUDE View Post
FYI, it's just apple sauce, vinegar, splash of soy sauce and a little honey (if you like it sweeter).

And yeah the chinese food around here is horrible compared to Massachusetts.
yeah I know. My husband and I have attempted a few home made versions, trying to find the right combo. Lets just leave it at I'm no Anthony Bourdain

I'll stick with Duck sauce shipped from MA

Old 01-04-2011, 07:14 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,654,091 times
What paht of MA?

I'm from the south shore. Best chinese food anywhere!

Old 01-04-2011, 07:29 AM

335 posts, read 800,880 times
City Beverage in Durham is a retro/tiki-style restaurant and bar that serves flaming volcanoes and the like. I *think* they have scorpion bowls but am not sure. They're not a Chinese restaurant though and their drink prices are ridiculous. That was the only place I could find in the Triangle that was anything close to the wonderful Chinese restaurant I discovered in Manassas VA in 2007.

Rule of thumb when hunting these places down: If the sign outside has the words "Polynesian" and "Cocktails" then you can expect to get drinks that arrive on fire.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:41 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,927,154 times
I don't how The Red Dragon on Fairview Rd. in Raleigh compares to what some of you are used to, but it's been around for a while now. It's very popular with the old Raleigh crowd. We usually do takeout, but it's also a nice little place to eat in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary