Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 12:10 PM

9 posts, read 89,440 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are both Los Angeles natives and she has become sick of LA. We are music producers and are considering NC, but want to know if there are upper-middleclass black communities there like there are here in LA?

If no such communities exist, are their at least some places that are culturally diverse?

Also, where would one find modern/contemporary style homes, ie., sprawling, one story, with lots of windows, open floorplans and pools ?

Old 07-16-2007, 12:13 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Chapel Hill is very diverse and highly educated. Might be a good fit for you.

Old 07-16-2007, 12:25 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,722,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBOP View Post
My wife and I are both Los Angeles natives and she has become sick of LA. We are music producers and are considering NC, but want to know if there are upper-middleclass black communities there like there are here in LA?

If no such communities exist, are their at least some places that are culturally diverse?

Also, where would one find modern/contemporary style homes, ie., sprawling, one story, with lots of windows, open floorplans and pools ?
I think there was a thread about this issue but to sum it up, there aren't really any upper-middle class black communities in the Triangle. From what I've seen, upper-middle class blacks live in communities that contain upper-middle class whites and other races. I don't believe there are upper-middle class black communities like what you're looking for in NC. If you went to DC or Atlanta you would find those types communities. Some cities in FLA also have those types of communities that you seek.

Raliegh-Durham is a very diverse place, no worries there. I can't speak to the housing issue as I haven't begun to look for a house.

Old 07-16-2007, 02:53 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,446,794 times
I know this is not an answer to the question, but I'd like to say that this post offends me. As a liberal, I would be very offended if the same post appeared with "white" in place of "black." I am offended when people actively seek segregation after the struggle that has taken place in this country to end it.

Old 07-16-2007, 02:56 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
I know this is not an answer to the question, but I'd like to say that this post offends me. As a liberal, I would be very offended if the same post appeared with "white" in place of "black." I am offended when people actively seek segregation after the struggle that has taken place in this country to end it.
Well said

Old 07-16-2007, 03:53 PM

823 posts, read 3,921,565 times
My old manager at IBM took us on all on a tour of his high end home in Durham, which he had also helped build. (He was born to a family of contractors.) I don't know exactly where the neighborhood was. He was a prominent member of the community. I don't know what percentage of his neighborhood were also African American.

We live in an integrated neighborhood in Chapel Hill. House prices do vary. Many of the homes are contemporaries built in the 1970's or so. The nicest ones are typically set in the woods on good sized lots. They are pretty pricy but might be reasonable by L.A. standards. Chapel Hill and Durham have culture and diversity.

Old 07-16-2007, 04:02 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
I understand your question completely. From what I can see as one about to relocate here is that the housing pattern might be more integrated in the Raleigh area without wealthy enclaves distinguished by race. There are those who would say the new south is more integrated then the north and there may be merit to that in the Raleigh area. The area is growing very fast and I don't think it is the city moving outward as much as it is elsewhere moving here. That does not lend to self segregation. Chapel Hill and Cary are distinguished by their diversity and are symbolic of why folks are moving here for quality of life. Find a community you like and enjoy. I intend to.

Last edited by TuborgP; 07-16-2007 at 04:04 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-16-2007, 04:24 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,962,065 times
Default what a load

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
Well I'm a white liberal who sees nothing wrong with his post, so I'll post here to balance out your comment. For one thing, nowhere in his post did he state that he wanted an exclusively black community. He said he wanted diversity and wanted to live in an area where people of his race and socioeconomic status live. I defy you, given your comment, to decide to move to an entirely black city. You wouldn't. You would hope that you are not the ONLY person of your race in that community and it sounds to me like that's exactly what the original poster was stating.

It absolutely infuriates me to hear people who call themselves liberal but only see things from their own lilywhite point of view. If you really hold these views then you must be against all-female gyms and fraternal organizations, correct?

To the original poster: Durham has a black majority. I don't know of any specific areas in terms of income, but I think you'd be happy here.

Old 07-16-2007, 04:33 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,913,994 times
Firstly, the op did say he wanted a "upperclass" black community so Scorp I think you are misinterpreting what he said.

Also, roscomac, why did you say you would be offended only if the poster was white? Although I see nothing wrong with wanting to live with people similar to you, there is a double standard. I have seen several posts by whites that want to live in "white areas" that get attacked but its ok for minorities? I say yes its ok for anybody!

Sorry EBOP I know we're off topic. I don't know of any substantial black affluent communities. Plenty of affluent black professionals but i'd say they're pretty intergrated.

Old 07-16-2007, 04:48 PM

245 posts, read 765,362 times
Come on people, give the guy a break. Remember, he's coming from L.A. Conditions in that city probably are a bit more tense than in Raleigh. The man's entitled to look for an area in which his family would feel comfortable. I don't want to jump to conclusions, but maybe he and his wife haven't had any experience living in a laid back city like Raleigh. In L.A., choosing the right neighborhood might be a much more serious matter than it is in the Raleigh Durham area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary