Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2009, 06:23 AM

39 posts, read 125,928 times

Advertisements

I am scheduled for nasal surgery next month and am absolutley scared to death. I think it will be worth it in the end because I have been experiencing significant and frequent headaches for years that have not been helped by any medications. I have an enlarged nasal concha (doc said it was the largest he had seen) that is pushing everything in my nose into positions in which they don't belong and my sinuses are full of goop. I feel congested on a daily basis.

The idea of having surgery terrifies me and the expected recovery time has me very nervous. Is anyone willing to share their experience, any tips/adive, or experience with Mann ENT (Dr. Jones)?
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 10:04 AM

757 posts, read 2,083,877 times
Ask your doctor if they pack your nose with gauze. The new method is to not pack the nose, because the actual nose packing and taking the packing out a week after surgery is very painful. I used Dr. Yu with Carolina ENT associates and she does not pack your nose. She is cutting edge and currently publishes in ENT Journals. She also has worked with Dr. Pillsbury (the best ENT in the southeast). I didn't choose Pillsbury because he was backed up and didn't have an appt untill 2 months away. Dr. Yu saw me the same week I inquired and had my surgery 2 weeks later after the CT scan. I had no pain during or after the surgery and was a pleasant experience. ENTs are very different and you will have a different outcome depending on which one you use.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:56 PM

240 posts, read 1,180,362 times
Dunho, you should relax. I was hesitant too. Dr. Jarod Spector in Mann's ENT practice did mine and was exceptional.

Expect some discomfort, not necessarily a lot of pain, and do EXACTLY what they tell you. They really know their stuff.

Was it fun? NO. (Well, except for the pain drugs.)
Was it beneficial? Exceptionally.
Would I do this again? WITHOUT HESITATION!!!
My quality of life improved in ways you cannot imagine, (better breathing) and I have not had a cold in over three years.
Absolutely unbelievable results!

Plan to catch up on a little reading, dvd's, etc. as you feel like it. Make sure that everyone waits on your every wish. (Take advantage of the situation) Drink plenty of fluids, sleep a lot, and don't hesitate to ask the doc questions.

In 6 months, you will not believe the difference!

Old 08-06-2009, 02:34 PM

307 posts, read 673,039 times
You might want to get a second opinion, as from Dr. Ronald Gerbe in Chapel Hill. ENT surgery varies greatly from doctor to doctor.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:44 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,099,752 times
These days, when I've gone through something uncomfortable like that (and believe me, I really want to freak out), I keep telling myself how incredibly LUCKY I am to be able to have such a medical procedure -- one that will ultimately benefit me after the discomfort. I think of it as a gift, and that has helped put me in a much more positive -- and less fearful -- mood.

As you're prepared for surgery, it's much better to think, "Lucky me!" versus "OMG!!!"

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 08-06-2009 at 04:26 PM..

Old 08-06-2009, 06:43 PM

49 posts, read 153,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Trent Hicks View Post
Dunho, you should relax. I was hesitant too. Dr. Jarod Spector in Mann's ENT practice did mine and was exceptional.
Ditto on Dr. Spector. Excellent.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:49 PM

240 posts, read 1,180,362 times
When I voiced my hesitation to Dr. Jared Spector, HE suggested that i get a second opinion.

I made an appointment with Dr. Ronald Gerbe in Chapel Hill and he was one of the coolest, most gentle and kindest professionals I have ever met. It was an honor and a privilege to meet him. He calmed my butterflies and sent me back to Dr. Spector with renewed confidence in my decision to have this procedure.

My life was blessed by meeting BOTH of these ENT's.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:12 PM

1 posts, read 3,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Trent Hicks View Post
When I voiced my hesitation to Dr. Jared Spector, HE suggested that i get a second opinion.

I made an appointment with Dr. Ronald Gerbe in Chapel Hill and he was one of the coolest, most gentle and kindest professionals I have ever met. It was an honor and a privilege to meet him. He calmed my butterflies and sent me back to Dr. Spector with renewed confidence in my decision to have this procedure.

My life was blessed by meeting BOTH of these ENT's.

I am also a patient of Dr. Spector and am very hesitant about scheduling this surgery. He plans to operate on all 8 sinuses and fix my deviated septum. What exactly did you have done (if you don't mind saying) and more importantly how did you feel when you woke up? Dr. Spector said that I would be able to breathe out of my nose because of the built-in airway in the splints. I do trust Dr. Spector and have let him operate on my son twice I'm just worried about the recovery and the possibility of not be able to breathe through my nose for a week and the anesthesia. I guess I am worried about the entire process.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:33 PM

569 posts, read 1,978,637 times
Dr Mann operated on my septum and sinuses about 16 years ago. I had terrible sinus headaches before and it did cure them. I don't remember having any problems at all with the surgery or the recovery. Someone mentioned early in this thread about a new method that doesn't pack your nose with gauze so definately check on that. The gauze was the only bad part that I remember. When it came time to remove it I remember feeling like one of those circus clowns that keeps pulling a continuous stream of handkerchiefs out of his pocket except this was gauze coming out of my nose. I wouldn't have believed they could pack that much up there.

PS I would do it again even if they still used gauze packing, the difference in my headaches was like night and day.

Last edited by jeffs555; 01-17-2011 at 03:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary