Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 05:42 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,947,116 times

Advertisements

Very interesting and would have to agree about Long Island, I moved here from Suffolk County...and it's all RED Outbound LOL...Thanks for sharing...I would also be interested in seeing a more updated map...even from the last 5/6 years...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 08:06 PM

59 posts, read 131,970 times
Hi! We are a young family from Staten Island, NY heading to Wake county in the next few months. We are excited and nervous about the relocation.

Thanks for the map link by the way, it is quite interesting.

Old 01-30-2011, 06:58 PM

306 posts, read 882,913 times
I don't think anyone needs to worry about the population of Long Island... lol. It was quite over-crowded. It may actually be more enjoyable to drive there, now. The increase in car traffic here in the past 4 years, though, has been insane.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:54 AM

487 posts, read 890,644 times
If people are right that higher education is a bubble that will pop sooner or later, I wonder what effect that'd have on the Triangle.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:37 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHwboy View Post
If people are right that higher education is a bubble that will pop sooner or later, I wonder what effect that'd have on the Triangle.
I've never head of higher education being described as a "bubble." But even if there is some scaling back, I think you'd have to look at the more marginal educational institutions as well as for-profit colleges. I doubt the high caliber colleges and universities in the Triangle would be effected. In fact, they might gain some if other schools go away.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I've never head of higher education being described as a "bubble." But even if there is some scaling back, I think you'd have to look at the more marginal educational institutions as well as for-profit colleges. I doubt the high caliber colleges and universities in the Triangle would be effected. In fact, they might gain some if other schools go away.
You should read better quality newspapers. It's been in the Chronicle of Higher Education, the Economist, the Boston Herald ... here are some links on the wikipedia page for 'higher education bubble':

Higher education bubble - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If it really is a popping bubble, you might expect the bigger institutions to be hit just as hard, as students question taking on big loans, and building projects dry up. Along with suburban houses, I wonder what proportion of the construction industry in the Triangle depends on the universities?

Old 01-31-2011, 07:02 AM

Quote:
You should read better quality newspapers.
Thank you for that recommendation.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Thank you for that recommendation.
I apologise. I was going for 'charmingly abrupt' but came across as 'smugly dickish'.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:08 AM

Quote:
I apologise. I was going for 'charmingly abrupt' but came across as 'smugly dickish'.
It's OK. I mentally translated your post from British to American to get the meaning.

Old 01-31-2011, 04:55 PM

102 posts, read 205,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedratermi View Post
And a lot of half-backers... people who were originally from NY, moved to FL, and are now moving halfway back.
That would be me too, but my g/f is from Marietta,GA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary