Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 10:07 AM

10 posts, read 13,607 times

Advertisements

I was with Eerie in the beginning too, but was disgusted when they sent me notice that home owners was going up due to the expense in the coastal areas. Not only did it say insurance was going up, but I had to sign a statement saying I agreed to the increase! Crap. So I called home owners insurance through GEICO and got a $150 cheaper policy.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 07:18 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,990,141 times
Our State Farm homeowners went up 28% this year with no changes or claims on our part. As others have noted, they said they simply needed to recoup money they'd paid out to others.

We switched to Amica and saved almost 50%...State Farm wanted $680 and we're now paying $350.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:24 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,090,870 times
We have Erie for home and auto. 11 months ago I was struck by an uninsured driver in an uninsured car (different owner) and tried to claim using my "uninsured motorist" coverage I paid so dearly for, and am still waiting. Lawyer and all. So I am going to switch. I recently got great quotes from Liberty Mutual. I used to have Amica insurance when we lived in FL and they are always tops in customer satisfaction--and I can attest to how great they are. We had a claim when my engagement ring got stolen and they replaced it promptly without a bunch of hassle. They sent me to a great jeweler who managed to replace my ring despite the fact that the appraisal was old and the ring was worth quite a bit more when it was stolen.

Hope that helps!

Old 01-30-2011, 07:35 PM

276 posts, read 648,678 times
I don't have any good recommendations, but I just wanted to chime in that we just had the same experience Our yearly rates just doubled. We called them and was told they couldn't reduce the rates, so we ended up increasing our deductible (and still paying about $200 more a year.) We are trying to sell our house currently, so we will be looking at another company for insurance once we are moved into our new place.

Old 02-01-2011, 05:52 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,654,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshjiv View Post
Go with Farm Bureau! We have a home valued at 310K here in Durham, real nice finishes, and our new yearly premium (I just got the bill, as our yearly premium is due in Feb), and the premium is $625 for the year!

Other companies were wanting in the ballpark of $1,000-$1,200. Its just insane the price difference
I second this. I have been with them 4 years and never had a rate increase.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:17 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,476,827 times
We HAVE Farm Bureau but always loved Erie when we were with them. They were quick to pay claims, excellent customer service...but, yes, Farm Bureau for us was about 50% cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary