Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 03:59 PM

1,495 posts, read 3,721,522 times

Advertisements

A few of you may recall the thread I had last year as I had my very first garden thanks to the wonderful help of our neighbor, Ed who has been doing this for many years and was kind enough to help me.

We just finished our first "till of the season" today and my little plot of land is double the size it was last year.

We're prepared to plant lettuce, tomatoes, squash, bell peppers, egg plant, carrotts, green beans, cabbage to start with.

Notice that many of the gardens I saw last year are being tilled and so excited about spring time and all the wonderful vegetables it brings.

Tell me about yours!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 04:00 PM

1,495 posts, read 3,721,522 times

Old 02-27-2011, 04:21 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,676,402 times
we used to do a huge garden- probably 1/4 acre of our land (a little more than an acre)

after nearly 10 years of that, i do containers now. easier LOL

i usually do tomatoes (several varieties, mostly heirlooms)
zucchini
squash
cucumbers
japanese eggplant
hot peppers
different varieties of lettuce (fall and spring)
green onions/ chives
lots of different herbs
watermelon (sometimes)

Old 02-27-2011, 05:53 PM

81 posts, read 173,503 times
This is awesome-any tips for rose bushes in this hard terrain? Thanks

Old 02-27-2011, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibsonlespaul View Post
This is awesome-any tips for rose bushes in this hard terrain? Thanks
i have roses and other than keeping them watered and throwing some fertilizer at them every now and then, they do great....

Old 02-27-2011, 06:51 PM

81 posts, read 173,503 times
Great-thanks suedonym-started today since the weather was great-looking like tomorrow might be a sick day to finish (cough,cough).

Old 02-27-2011, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibsonlespaul View Post
Great-thanks suedonym-started today since the weather was great-looking like tomorrow might be a sick day to finish (cough,cough).
hehe i hear ya! just make sure you till the soil good to make sure they have some decent drainage. Add some good soil in with it when you till. they dont like 'wet feet'.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:06 PM

459 posts, read 757,699 times
My husband is the gardener in the family, but I love the 'fruits' of his labor!

He grew lettuce for the first time last year, and I loved, loved, loved it!!! Also basil. Both grew great and I can hardly wait for the first salad from the garden!

He also grows tomatoes -- several different kinds - red, yellow, roma, lemondrop, homestead, etc.
Peppers - bell, banana, jalapeno
Radishes, Potatoes, squash, zucchini, cucumber, Snow Peas
And whatever else he decides to do.

I can't wait....

Old 02-27-2011, 07:40 PM

133 posts, read 627,062 times
I did my first yard garden last year in a 3x9 foot raised bed (container gardened the year before). This year I'm expanding again into the yard and am tilling up my hard, rocky clay and ammending with as much compost as I can find & make.

I grow tomatoes (love cherry so I'm doing sweet 100's, sweet baby girl, napa cherry, & sungold) Celebrity, eggplant, 3 types of sweet peppers, bannana peppers, serrano chilies, squash, zucchini, patty pan squash, okra, & beans. This year I'm also trying pumpkins & baby pumpkins, and trying a cutting garden. I grew some zinnias last year as an afterthought and they did great so I'm growing lots of zinnias this year and trying sunflowers again (deer ate them last year).

I grew 3 sweet 100 tomato plants last year and we ate almost everything I grew! The few that weren't devoured were frozen whole and added to soups. So, I'm trying 3 new varieties that sounded good in the catalogs and plan to taste test this summer for my favorite. I am so excited and warm days like today only get me more excited for summer!

I have planted some lettuce and brocolli that are doing great. I hope to see some spinach sprouting soon as well.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:41 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,689,217 times
Salukilover, how do you keep out critters? No deer in your neighborhood?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary