Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 06:43 PM

223 posts, read 577,104 times

Advertisements

I imagine that they have already decided upon their "candidate" (internal or external), but HR is nonetheless required to post the position. Hence, other applications will not even be considered.

Most companies employ this tactic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 06:46 PM

4,280 posts, read 5,938,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf_Rocks View Post
I imagine that they have already decided upon their "candidate" (internal or external), but HR is nonetheless required to post the position. Hence, other applications will not even be considered.

Most companies employ this tactic.
I considered this possibility too. Federal laws require posting of nearly all job openings. But submitting cover letters and resumes vis the internet is free, so what the hey!

Old 04-13-2011, 06:57 PM

223 posts, read 577,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
I considered this possibility too. Federal laws require posting of nearly all job openings. But submitting cover letters and resumes vis the internet is free, so what the hey!
It is awful to interview someone who has zero chance at getting the job simply because you are required to interview others. I had to do this just last month.

I find it to be horrible and even cruel to get someone's hopes up.

Keep submitting, but don't get down if you don't get a reply. There may very well be other factors at play that have nothing to do with your qualifications.

Last edited by Alf_Rocks; 04-13-2011 at 07:03 PM.. Reason: incoherent...oh well

Old 04-13-2011, 07:07 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times
What federal laws are those? I understand internal policies and goverment job craziness, but what federal law says a private company must externally post job openings?

Quote:
Federal laws require posting of nearly all job openings.
I think SAS posts for such a short time because they get more than enough qualified applicants when they post. More applications is just more work.

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 04-13-2011 at 07:16 PM..

Old 04-14-2011, 07:42 PM

600 posts, read 1,221,171 times
^ You are right, they post for short periods because they get so many applicants in a short time. Federal law does not say you have to post anything publicly, but federal law does say you need to be really careful how you go through your applications. It is a red-tape nightmare when you get so many apps really. My company is averaging 400 apps per job and we're not SAS. Several of my HR co-workers are though, which is how I know this.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:12 AM

62 posts, read 153,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellsd View Post
^ You are right, they post for short periods because they get so many applicants in a short time. Federal law does not say you have to post anything publicly, but federal law does say you need to be really careful how you go through your applications. It is a red-tape nightmare when you get so many apps really. My company is averaging 400 apps per job and we're not SAS. Several of my HR co-workers are though, which is how I know this.
Yes - SAS gets so many applicants for every job they post that if they didn't cut off the posting there'd be no way to go through all the applicants in a timely, efficient manner. It's typically posted for a minimum of 48 hours. So, yes, you should apply ASAP if you see it. If after that period they sort through the applicants and see a need to widen their search, it'll be reposted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary