Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 06:01 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,965,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvwakeforest View Post
No, that isn't the vibe we get... but I'll leave it at that.
Yeah...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 06:29 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,356,599 times
I have been in Cary going on three years, and I have found little I dislike.
I like the Parkways and will often take them just to see how nice they look.
I like how clean Cary is,
I like the low crime rate
I like how friendly my neighborhood is.
I like the way the zoning has allowed small shopping areas close to large residential areas. I am within a mile of most things I need, yet feel out of the busy traffic.
I like the way most buildings are not tall and do not darken the sky.
I like the green ways and parks
I like the system which put Libraries close to major residential areas
I like the way the city give you signs which announce the next roads name before you get to is.
I like those ugly and too expensive signs which let me know if there is a problem on the road ahead of me.
Most of all I like the people. We all seem to be new to the area, and that common thread has been a wonderful bonding agent for this small town.

What I dislike:
I do not like the two lane roads which lead into Cary. This in most cases in the small town around Cary, and not within the Cary’s control. I also think there are plans for this to be corrected, just seems slow.

Old 07-27-2008, 07:29 AM

551 posts, read 575,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellasformas View Post
Cary is a nice place, just not for me. Home is INSIDE your four walls anyway...that is the most important thing.
I think this is a good point that can shed some light on likes and dislikes. For me, a home is mostly about what is outside. It is about the nature, the trails, sports, the beauty of an area.........hence Cary. As you point out for others, it's more about the inside. People that don't care about the outdoorsy thing may rather put their money into a really nice downtown condo, where maybe they can go without a car. Maybe they can frequent the clubs or other entertainment establishments they like. So for them, it's all about the inside. Two different types of people and two different desires.

Old 07-27-2008, 07:40 AM

345 posts, read 1,060,427 times
Actually, I meant it's about your family...not where you live, or the type of house you live in...but you made good points.

Old 07-27-2008, 10:58 AM

128 posts, read 345,947 times
I'm from Michigan and must say that I absolutely love this area however there are a few things I dislike.

1) No 7-11's
2) Late night food choices
3) The non grided roads. (It feels like 54 is everywhere, lol)
4) Every building looks identical

Old 07-27-2008, 03:06 PM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
I have been in Cary going on three years, and I have found little I dislike.
I like the Parkways and will often take them just to see how nice they look.
I like how clean Cary is,
I like the low crime rate
I like how friendly my neighborhood is.
I like the way the zoning has allowed small shopping areas close to large residential areas. I am within a mile of most things I need, yet feel out of the busy traffic.
I like the way most buildings are not tall and do not darken the sky.
I like the green ways and parks
I like the system which put Libraries close to major residential areas
I like the way the city give you signs which announce the next roads name before you get to is.
I like those ugly and too expensive signs which let me know if there is a problem on the road ahead of me.
Most of all I like the people. We all seem to be new to the area, and that common thread has been a wonderful bonding agent for this small town.

What I dislike:
I do not like the two lane roads which lead into Cary. This in most cases in the small town around Cary, and not within the Cary’s control. I also think there are plans for this to be corrected, just seems slow.

Good Stuff!

Old 07-27-2008, 03:13 PM

478 posts, read 2,045,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoj View Post
4) Every building looks identical
So true. Pity visitors from outside Cary!

Old 07-27-2008, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
One time, a town in CT needed a new postmaster.

Regulations required the postmaster to live in the town.

The salary wouldn't pay for a home in the town.

The town had no postmaster.

Substitute firefighter, police officer, teacher for postmaster. Substitute Cary for a town in CT.
Most parts of Silicon Vally (Mountain View, Milpitas, San Jose, etc) have identical story.

Old 07-27-2008, 03:15 PM

551 posts, read 575,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muse1110 View Post
So true. Pity visitors from outside Cary!

Old 07-27-2008, 03:18 PM

Hi, er, 'In&Out',

We've had family and friends from out of town get ever so confused in Cary, due to nearly identical architecture. From what I hear from my chiro, GP, elementary school teacher, dentist, and acupuncturist in Cary, they say the same thing happened to their friends and family, hence the necessity of a GPS with the hired car.

But looks like you adore smilies and are pretty occupied with that. Good luck with your hobby!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary