Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 12:28 PM

12 posts, read 45,637 times

Advertisements

Let me first say how excited i am to be moving to north carolina.I am from georgia.I will be accepting a job in raleigh and was wondering if their was a small town place a hour drive away from raleigh that i could live?I need some where that has a good school and possibility a low crime rate.I don't want to live in the major part of town.I would be willing to drive a hour to raleigh.Any help would be greatly appreciated.Thank you.

Last edited by david1368; 03-31-2011 at 12:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 12:45 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,675,874 times
where in raleigh will you be working? that at least helps us know which side to look on...

Old 03-31-2011, 12:47 PM

I couldn't really tell you the general are but the office is on Stagecrest Drive.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:49 PM

I will drive alittle further for a good area to live.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:14 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,194,078 times
David, I'm not sure where in Georgia you're from, but really, you don't need to be an hour away from the city to be in a good area.

What kind of school do you need to be close to? Will you be renting or buying?

You maybe want to check out the areas of Holly Springs, Fuquay-Varina and Garner. They're all a little "country" but they're not far from the area of raleigh you'll be working in.

Congratulations on the job and the move--I hope you like living here!

Old 03-31-2011, 01:18 PM

Thank you dc girl.I will check out those areas.i could rent or buy it doesn't really matter.my son is it middle school right now.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,167 times
Default Question

Hello guys,
I am new to the forum and would like some information about raleigh vs charlotte. I am a single mother of two. 9years old boy and 6years old girl. I am planning to move to North carolina, either charlotte or raleigh from Arizona.. I am a registered nurse...So i am looking for good schools, safe environment for my kids and myself being a single mother. Please help me out

Old 03-31-2011, 02:23 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Stagecrest Dr. is south of town. Garner is an option; the other places mentioned have become very "suburbanized" in recent years and that will only increase, losing the former "small town" atmostphere for the most part. Clayton is another such place, but again, it's being developed very quickly so the character is changing a lot.

For within an hour and not too bad a drive, look into Smithfield. It is still very much a "small town" and not (yet) taken in by the Raleigh-area suburbanization that's hitting other small towns on the periphery. I have driven that route and it's a nice drive with a pretty new bypass from I-40. You'd miss the Raleigh traffic altogether if you lived south of your work.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:24 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FleeAz View Post
Hello guys,
I am new to the forum and would like some information about raleigh vs charlotte. I am a single mother of two. 9years old boy and 6years old girl. I am planning to move to North carolina, either charlotte or raleigh from Arizona.. I am a registered nurse...So i am looking for good schools, safe environment for my kids and myself being a single mother. Please help me out
Questions involving two different cities are usually posted at the state-level forum, because in this forum, you'll mostly only hear the "Raleigh" side of it and vice versa in the Charlotte forum.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Stagecrest Dr. is south of town. Garner is an option; the other places mentioned have become very "suburbanized" in recent years and that will only increase, losing the former "small town" atmostphere for the most part. Clayton is another such place, but again, it's being developed very quickly so the character is changing a lot.

For within an hour and not too bad a drive, look into Smithfield. It is still very much a "small town" and not (yet) taken in by the Raleigh-area suburbanization that's hitting other small towns on the periphery. I have driven that route and it's a nice drive with a pretty new bypass from I-40. You'd miss the Raleigh traffic altogether if you lived south of your work.

Thanks,I'll look into that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary