Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 01:59 PM

338 posts, read 1,619,954 times

Advertisements

Yup, I did it. I dropped the ipod and the glass shattered. Of course I didn't purchase the $200 insurance at Best Buy. I can find places on line that do glass repair for ~$80 and at least one with good BBB rating. Does anyone know of a local place that would replace the glass on my ipod???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 08:34 PM

519 posts, read 982,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjg39069 View Post
Yup, I did it. I dropped the ipod and the glass shattered. Of course I didn't purchase the $200 insurance at Best Buy. I can find places on line that do glass repair for ~$80 and at least one with good BBB rating. Does anyone know of a local place that would replace the glass on my ipod???
How about the Apple store in either Raleigh or Durham?

Why would you want a third-party company possibly using non-Apple pieces to fix your ipod?

Old 04-02-2011, 11:04 PM

338 posts, read 1,619,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingyouth View Post

Why would you want a third-party company possibly using non-Apple pieces to fix your ipod?
Because Apple charges $200 for the repair...so I'm told.

Old 04-02-2011, 11:39 PM

32 posts, read 53,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingyouth View Post

For the same reason many people don't go to the dealership to get their car fixed when it's out of warranty. PRICE!!

Old 04-03-2011, 06:24 AM

323 posts, read 634,067 times
My son did the same thing, and the Apple Store here (we are currently in CT) told him $150.00. We didn't buy the insurance either! Don't know what I was thinking!

Old 04-03-2011, 07:17 AM

86 posts, read 324,296 times
My daughter dropped her iPhone in the toilet a couple of month ago and we got her phone repaired at EdgeTube Cellular (http://edgetube.com/repair/services - broken link). They did a wonderful job for a fraction of the cost the Apple store wanted.

Drop-off and Repair Locations
1. Cartridge World – 3671 SW Cary Parkway, Cary, NC
2. Cartridge World – 2516 Hillsborough Street, Raleigh, NC 27607

Old 04-03-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjg39069 View Post
Because Apple charges $200 for the repair...so I'm told.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtopdog2000 View Post
For the same reason many people don't go to the dealership to get their car fixed when it's out of warranty. PRICE!!
First, there was no need to buy insurance for your iPod since AppleCare for it would have only cost you $69.

Sometimes, I am willing to go to the dealership that specializes in the model of my car when something major needs to be fixed. I realize I am paying more, but I am also paying for peace of mind. The same goes for fixing something personally important like my iPod or iPhone.

To the OP, I suggest contacting Apple directly and discussing it with them. I only assume that you didn't because you stated "so I'm told" not "that's what someone at Apple said." You didn't mention when you bought it from a third-party authorized dealer, so is it posssible it is still under warranty?

Old 04-03-2011, 09:27 AM

4,304 posts, read 5,991,194 times
Standard product warranties and AppleCare don't cover accidental damage.

Is this a current-generation iPod touch (released in September)? If so, the glass and the front panel are fused together...it helps slim down the device and keeps dust from getting in there, but makes repair more expensive.

Old 04-03-2011, 02:07 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,991,194 times
I was just at Cary Towne Center and saw Pro Wireless by the food court advertising repair services. I believe they also have a location at Triangle Town Center.

Don't know for sure if they do iPod touch (were advertising iPhone and other smartphones), but maybe worth contacting them or stopping by to see.

I don't know anything about them, so I can't offer a specific recommendation, but at least it's a possibility.

Old 04-03-2011, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
Standard product warranties and AppleCare don't cover accidental damage.

Is this a current-generation iPod touch (released in September)? If so, the glass and the front panel are fused together...it helps slim down the device and keeps dust from getting in there, but makes repair more expensive.
That's true about AppleCare and other warranties. I didn't think about that, so thanks for that.

I guess I was more astounded about the idea of Best Buy charging $200 for insurance. I wonder if people could put an addendum on their homeowner's/renter's insurance to cover such products. I wonder if the company who fixes said iPod will offer a limited warranty on the new glass they install.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary