Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to North Carolina: Raleigh, great schools, leasing agents, traffic, rent apt.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 09:12 AM

85 posts, read 297,164 times

Advertisements

i am looking to relocate to the raliegh durham area in a few months and i want to know why do those of u who live in apts love ur bldgs? Is it the landscaping, the pools, child friendly, parks nearby, good maintenace, good management, good neighbors, good schools nearby, location of resturants, location of shopping or all of the above?

As a newcomer to North Carolina are there any places to avoid and if not why would someone move to ur complex versus another?

I want a nice 2 bedroom under 750 with a pool and chiold friendly any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2007, 09:42 AM

180 posts, read 662,755 times
Well don't go to "The Terraces" in Brier Creek. The apartment itself is nice but not a fan of the neighbors/leasing agents. It's also 1025 a month, way too highly priced!!!!! I can't wait to move out in a month or so. Some love Brier Creek, but I don't like living across the street from it. There is much traffic and only chain restaurants!

Try rent.com, and try not to make your commute heading you West Bound on I-40 before work, that is probably the worst traffic. I hear that Moorisville is nice, and N. Raleigh may have just what you are looking for! Good luck!

Old 07-30-2007, 09:49 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,647,041 times
I had a similar experience to RLamothe at Camden Crest in NW Raleigh. The apartment itself was nice, but the construction of the whole building was awful, you could hear everything from neighbors to people outside. Rent was way too high for the quality and the management was pretty unresponsive and took a reactive approach to problems rather than pro-active. That said, it seemed like a lot of the apartment complexes we looked at all suffer from the same construction quality issues.

We are now renting in an older quad building that is privately owned and managed, and we are much happier.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:37 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,173,593 times
Try where we live, Northridge Crossings.

Lots of square feet
Plenty of land between buildings
Adequate parking
Big, clean pool
24 hour gym and business center
Great maintenance
Friendly office staff
Fair rents for the size
Convenient to shopping

Old 07-30-2007, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiblue View Post
I had a similar experience to RLamothe at Camden Crest in NW Raleigh. The apartment itself was nice, but the construction of the whole building was awful, you could hear everything from neighbors to people outside. Rent was way too high for the quality and the management was pretty unresponsive and took a reactive approach to problems rather than pro-active. That said, it seemed like a lot of the apartment complexes we looked at all suffer from the same construction quality issues.

We are now renting in an older quad building that is privately owned and managed, and we are much happier.
We have friends living in Camden right now...On the 4th we went over for a BBQ and a few drinks before heading to fireworks. Our friends had laid by the pool until the early afternoon, when they left that all these "young adults" had started to show up who didn't live in their complex. By the later evening when we started grilling the intoxicated group starting packing up...one boy even started spinning around in circles and threw his cooler across the grass landing on his you know what! I'm a young adult too, like to have a good time but seriously grow up! There were little kids around and in the pool, they shouldn't be exposed to this.
Another problem they had was with who lived below them. Appartenly there is excessive music playing at ALL hours. Our friends extended their lease another year only because of its location...at least their apartment is no where near the pool!

With where we live, we are near the pool and thankfully can't hear the the noise at night. BUT we did get a notice in the mail saying: No heavy walking, running dishwashers, vaccuming at night. Unbelievable! I just can't wait to get OUT (4 weeks to go!)

Old 07-30-2007, 12:48 PM

2,086 posts, read 7,647,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLamothe View Post
We have friends living in Camden right now...On the 4th we went over for a BBQ and a few drinks before heading to fireworks. Our friends had laid by the pool until the early afternoon, when they left that all these "young adults" had started to show up who didn't live in their complex. By the later evening when we started grilling the intoxicated group starting packing up...one boy even started spinning around in circles and threw his cooler across the grass landing on his you know what! I'm a young adult too, like to have a good time but seriously grow up! There were little kids around and in the pool, they shouldn't be exposed to this.
Another problem they had was with who lived below them. Appartenly there is excessive music playing at ALL hours. Our friends extended their lease another year only because of its location...at least their apartment is no where near the pool!

With where we live, we are near the pool and thankfully can't hear the the noise at night. BUT we did get a notice in the mail saying: No heavy walking, running dishwashers, vaccuming at night. Unbelievable! I just can't wait to get OUT (4 weeks to go!)
Yup, we lived by the pool because it was the only 1br in our price range available when we needed to move. We thought we were moving into a place with a more responsible group of people, hoping to avoid the college apartment scene. During the summer we ended up calling the police (at management's instructions, they refused to lock the pool gates after hours ) many weeknights after 1am because of these young adults you speak of. We are also young adults and like to have our share of fun, but that doesn't involve anything that would disrupt other people's lives! We also had problem with our downstairs neighbor who would talk on her balcony all night long and then b!#ch us out when we politely asked her to quiet down because she was keeping us awake on a Wednesday night. She would also have confrontations with our next-door neighbor, screaming expletives for that whole side of the building to hear. All management ever did was send her "lease violation" letters - didn't seem to help. So even living on the top floor doesn't get you out of being bothered by inconsiderate neighbors (our upstairs neighbor and next-door neighbors were very considerate, though, I can't imagine what it would have been like had they been noisy).

I'd like to hope that there are some much better choices out there for the OP. We decided to try a different route, and it has so far worked out much better for us. I think if there is a way to talk to residents of a complex before you lease, ask them about the things that they value in a place to live and compare their experience with what you value. We like quiet - it doesn't have to be a library, but we want to be able to sleep on weeknights without people partying and it sounding like they are in our apartment (where we live now we can hear train whistles at night, but it doesn't bother us at all). So it is all relative. If it weren't for the noise and some rude people, Camden wouldn't have been THAT bad. It could work for someone who is a heavy sleeper!

Old 07-30-2007, 01:20 PM

Oh wow that just sounds awful!! We are excited b/c we close on our new house the 23rd of August!!! One a few more weeks of apartment life....and then 1900sq, over an acre of land w/trees and privacy!!! I can't wait!!!!!

Old 07-30-2007, 01:28 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,726,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiblue View Post

Man, it seems like a lot of the complexes in RDU suffer from poor management. I'm over here in SW Durham at Glenbrook West in one of the 2/2.5 townhomes. Management is very reactive instead of proactive and it seems like when you make a complaint it's almost as if they don't want to fix it. Two weeks ago I was b*tched out by one of the staff members b/c I complained about an ongoing bug issue and she wanted to tell me that I was costing them too much money b/c they had to keep paying the bug company to come out and spray my place. And then she wanted to tell me that I had an attitude problem and that they weren't going to spray my place and that the neighbors don't complain. Huh!

My place is really nice and the neighborhood is nice but I'm thinking about moving out b/c of management and the neighbors. The neighbors on my right side have 6 or more people staying in their 2/2.5 townhome. On Fridays and Sats they like to play this one mariachi tinged song over and over at certain points throughout the day. And on Friday nights they go out on their back patio and talk until 11pm. Problem is that I can hear them talking while I'm trying to sleep. I have to get up for work on Sat mornings and it's hard to go to sleep when you have 6 people outside talking and you can hear them. And to top it all off, they like to work on there cars right in front of their place and they have recently started leaving empty beer bottles right next to their front door as well as the hydraulich jack they use to work on the vehicles. They also had someone come out and install a satellite dish about a month ago and the installer decided that he wanted to run a satellite wire across the ground in the back of the units. We all have to walk back there and someone could have tripped over the wire but the neighbors didn't give damn it the installation looked like sh*t. I had to tell management about it and it still took them two days to tell the neighbors that they had to have the dish reinstalled.

Then the neighbors next to those folks have about 3 or 4 people in their 2/2 but there are multiple cars that will come over starting on Friday and stay until Sunday morning. We're talking about maybe 3 additional cars in addition to the 2 cars that the people already living there have. What makes it so bad is that none of the other townhomes in the complex have neighbors that are as boorish as the ones that live to my right. They are nice people but I'm not used having people living next to me who don't seem to have a problem with 6 people staying in a 2/2 or multiple unknown strangers coming by every weekend with their multiple cars.

I have never lived in a complex where I've had so many issues ranging from the 8 cars outside of the place to the uncaring attitude of some of the staff. Plus I'm paying like 835 for this nonsense. But I must say that I was warned when I read apartment ratings dot com about the attitude of the staff. It was all true.

Old 07-30-2007, 02:40 PM

107 posts, read 425,458 times
Default i really liked alexan farms in durham

I lived in Alexan Farms in Durham for 3 years (2002-2005) (located 15-501 and garrett: zip 27707). I really liked it there. The management was very professional. If I ever requested anything (such as to get rid of a wasps nest in my porch) it was done immediately. They also changed my lightbulbs for me and one time I had a flat tire on my car and the manager changed that too! (he offered) The area was always very clean and well-kept. I hung out at the pool all of the time (I have summers off) and it was very quiet and relaxing. My husband and I will probably rent again for a little while when we move back to NC and I am definitely considering renting at Alexan Farms again.

Old 07-30-2007, 02:50 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,173,593 times
Your mgt was bad, he's so hott.

Our community will kick people out who don't follow rules.

Northridge Crossings and Brookefield are top North Raleigh choices - fair rent too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary